+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Movie Club Season 3 - The Prestige! Watch and review!

Im here just been busy with my youtube channel flying quads and making videos. Havent watched movie yet, but today first time said hi at work to the girl I like. She said Hello. Then at the way home saw her holding friends with another guy. Got home opened beer and now im slightly drunk. Will go get a haircut cause I look like a girl now, then have to fix my bike and maube just maybe will watch the movie.
    Love you guys, its nice to see that you are posting and engaging in stuff. This restores faith in humanity.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Hi, pcmaster, you have a good several more weeks plus some I would think to put any type of review. It doesn't need to be long even if just a paragraph saying what character you liked most, least, if you enjoyed it, and if you didn't why not. Sorry if I am speaking ( typing) for TheEvilJester and megvoh but since I am online now, thought I'd say) I was very late adding my own review, so would think no real concerns. Good you made the effort to speak to a girl you fancy and she returned the kindness back. She may have a boyfriend, since holding hands but least you stepped up to address her.

LOL I stepped up last year too and talked with her few times, helped her out few times too. Hoped this year will be better had a feeling I will get lucky.
    Anyway Whats the link to watch that movie?
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I will say this, though. I was confused about one thing the whole movie....

Why didn't Wolverine just use his claws? He didn't have a classic Logan berserk scene even ONCE.

LOL!

Anyways,

I think it is about time to start up Round 4, but since megvoh is running that one, I'll leave that up to her.

All the same, that doesn't mean we have to stop discussing this movie or any of the past ones. No reason we can't keep discussing the other movies if we still have thoughts to add. I'm sure at some point each thread will die off naturally when none of us has anything left to add to the discussion (as has happened with the others already). I don't see any need to specifically say "Okay, stop talking about this movie now." ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    LOL I stepped up last year too and talked with her few times, helped her out few times too. Hoped this year will be better had a feeling I will get lucky.
    Anyway Whats the link to watch that movie?
    I watched it on this site, you can also use it to watch whatever movie we have picked to review in the movie club - if they have it stored and a good quality ( no viruses)
    Like always FW up, and run scans after.

http://cinema.solarmovie.ph/link/play/6305915/

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

Quote Originally Posted by topazlight View Post
    I didn't like how not one female character was treated with any real importance, they were all expendable, Angier's wife killed( murdered?), Borden's wife( suicide), and His daughter and Olivia were only treated and used as pawns.

I also did not think Borden and Fallon were clones, but blood relatives even though I don't recall, but perhaps it was said or implied in the film I just didn't pick up on it being told to us outright. Just sort of assumed, until you see Angier creating and creating and creating many doubles of himself.
    If that is how you felt -- I am curious, topaz on your thoughts on Borden/Fallon's wife killing herself over feeling unloved by her husband when she could have just left with her daughter instead. That part was stupid to me, almost the same as Angier leaving all the dead clone bodies in the discarded water tanks, no one question, reported that to authorities? wtf lmao

We still discussing this film, waiting for pc's review? I see meg is doing up her suggestions and possible poll for next round.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

To answer your question directed to topazlight ~ because her killing herself annoyed me. It's like my man don't want me ~ my life is now worthless *kills self* infuriates me especially since she had a small child.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Yeah, I actually agree with you on that, and that is coming from a guy. I find it ridiculous/upsetting that she was portrayed to be such a weak character that she kills herself simply because her husband doesn't want her. Never mind she had a child to care for, but suddenly her man doesn't want her and she feels she has no worth.

Don't get me wrong, that can be a horrible and upsetting situation in which to have to live. Not only that, but I am sure if you already have a history of struggling with depression/suicidal thoughts, I am sure that very well could seem important enough to you to cause you not to want to go on living..... but if that was in any way intended, they sure as Hell didn't depict it well. She otherwise seemed a decent, strong woman.... so for her to suddenly just kill herself because of this seemed insulting, almost like implying that women are nothing without their man. ...And again, that's coming from a guy. I mean, it isn't like it ruined the movie for me. I don't think it was intended to imply that at all, but I just think it was sloppily done and could have been told better. It was sort of a necessary part of the story (given how the rest of it goes, especially at the end), but I think it could have been executed better.

I sometimes wonder if this happens in stories & movies because it is male driven starring films & written by men, & directed by men and like topazlight said women become afterthoughts, not fully developed characters in a way ~ Scarlett's character was just used as some side piece bimbo to go back & forth between both men, that is also insulting she had no other real purpose. She killed herself because someone NOT her own husband who was hiding a secret from her didn't verbally give her enough loving cues for her to continue living ~ pretty insulting as you said & I 100% agree to the female viewers in a way.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Scarlett's character wasn't the one who killed herself. That was the sort of shared wife of the two brothers. Sort of because they lived life as one person, so she was not aware she was technically shared by two different people, and that would explain why it sometimes seemed to her like he didn't really love her, yet other times it did.

Scarlett's character too, though, was a bit of an after thought. I agree with you on that. There could have been more to that character. She deserved better as well. Not that she is completely without her flaws. As far as she knew, she was falling in love with a married man. Still, she was really more portrayed as a pawn between the two main characters.

Hehehe I know I was just lumping all the women together ~ Scarlet's was used basically as some whore to be shared ( insulting too ) The writer, director hates women? Hehehe or at the very least doesn't see them being high up on the scale of importance. [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] you coming in & discussing this one before the next one goes up? Just watch snips of it on YT & discuss those parts :]
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

I gave pcmaster a link to watch the movie a week ago, maybe haven't heard from him again though.

My gripes on the movie was the suicide too, so stupid and I loved her character and Angier killing his clones and keep on re-cloning himself and also Borden/Fallon them not telling his family he had a brother instead deciding it was better to play in between both women. Few flaws in the story or stupidity but still an awesome film.

Yeah, I mean it isn't like we are talking about the age of the interwebs here. Borden and Fallon really could have shared their secret JUST with those closest to them and the world would never have known the difference. By that, I don't even mean colleagues like Angier. I mean literally JUST his wife and maybe his daughter (or maybe not until she was old enough to be trusted not to innocently spoil the secret as kids sometimes don't get when something should be left unsaid). Why would you live such a terrible life, unable to live your own full life, and at the same time allow those you love most dearly to suffer as a result? And all just for a stupid magic trick? An amazing trick, mind you, but no reason his family had to be kept in the dark in order to fool the rest of the world.

*bumped* so pcmaster can get his review in for this season since he didn't fancy the latest movie on review.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123