+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Flying around the world for THAT guy. Stupid?

Flying around the world for THAT guy. Stupid?

I'm from Europe and spent Jan and Feb in NY for work. Met a guy from South America and it kind of clicked so we spent the entire 2 months going out, sleepovers, cooking together, playing playstation, movies, snowboarding, he showed me the city and he introduced me to his friends. It felt pretty intense although we knew from the beginning that I would leave in Feb and he would leave end of May (OK, we thought I would go to NY in April for business again which never happened though). After I left, we kept in touch. Sometimes I forced myself not to text him, but then max. after a week he started to text again..

End of June I will move to Cali as I accepted a job offer in the US. Asked him if I should stop at his home town on my way there. He said yes and I booked the flight. Right after my arrival I will go to a wedding where I will be his plus 1 (he is the best man). It will be an intimate ceremony with very few people. So he is taking me to friends in his hometown.

Thing is: I want to think that this means something. But I still feel that he is totally (!) out of my league and I am not sure if I am only being a stupid, naive girl right now. I fell in love with him - obviously - and tried to escape but the feeling does not go away. I never told him as I think such strong words have to be told in person and I did not want to rush into anything, but he does know that I like him a lot. He also told me that he likes me and that I am smart, adorable and have a hot ass ;o)

My last relationship lasted for almost 8 years and although I was in love with my ex for many years, it never felt like this. I never felt so much respect and admiration for someone. I mean, he is totally hot, but this becomes so irrelevant as he is so much more.

So what is this? Am I stupid and naive? What if he only likes the fun? I am terrified.

Nobody is replying, but maybe someone is interested in an update to the story:

He organized a 4-day trip to some places and reserved hotels. He also asked me if I would like to stay at his parent's when being at his hometown or if I'd prefer to stay at a hotel. I decided for the hotel.

Reason (that I did not tell him) is that I would only like to stay at his parent's if we were officially a couple. But I don't know what this is. How he acts when we are together and how he is preparing my stay in South America makes me think we'll be, but then he is one of those people who are not emotional (but I am!!) and rarely place a compliment or let you know how they like you.

I guess I'll find out when I am there.

did all go well?

all answers can be found in time. question is he rich? if yes could change things but honestly for a guy to go through all of this for just fun seems highly unlikely . new york was having fun this is getting to know you more to see if what you both have with each other is lasting or how long can this go for men are taught from a young age to hide their emotions trust me he has emotions he just handles them differently

Haha, no he is not rich ;o)
    I will leave this Tuesday and stay for 11 days, 2 of which I will actually stay at his parent's house. This will be enough time to get clarity. Good thing is, I am more relaxed now. I will just enjoy - whatever comes.

So, here's the update: We had an incredible time. He made me forget the world around me. He is the most attentive person, remembers every simple thing I say/like/dislike and I can feel how he respects and loves me exactly the way I am. Even though we are different (me as the emotional one, he as the - verbally - distant/cool/rational one). He constantly challenges me, leading me to discover new things and I see how he challenges himself too in the same way. He makes me feel safe. I feel how I can rely on him. The distance I sometimes feel when he is not expressing his feelings verbally is completely gone when I am with him.

His family (I met almost everyone. Really) - great. His friends - great. He - great. We had all the fun one can imagine, but also talked about things that are going on in our lives, about general viewpoints - just got to know each other better. A couple of days before I left, we talked about how/if we want to move forward together. Neither of us is a fan of long distance relationship scenarios, but we said that we would like to give it a try. We set ourselves a long distance relationship deadline of max 1 year (after that, if we still feel the same way one of us will have to move) and meanwhile will visit each other and stay in touch just as we did before.

I am both, excited and yet insecure. I am starting with my new job this week and don't know how that is going to be and he is looking for a job right now and also does not know where he's going to end up. We said we will wait and see what happens during the next couple of weeks and then work out a plan to make it work for us. We are both willing to make an effort. There's something very special about this. This will either be really great, or a very painful disaster.