+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long Distance Relationship - how to save it

Long Distance Relationship - how to save it

So i had a long distance relationship... excuse me, a trans-atlantic long distance relationship with a girl from Mexico, while I'm from The Netherlands. It lasted a year, met her a couple of times. Then she broke up, I did some stupid shit. Skip forward 1 year later and she was telling me she misses me and she dreamt about me. After a while of chatting up again, I got an emotional voice note when she was in bed cryingly telling me she wanted to start again, but we have to be together because we can't fix the things over internet.

So we don't have anything really, but we looked into it what we could do to be together and to start something new, so we found out she could do her masters over here. But she was too late too apply... so we have to wait a full year.

Buttt.... I'm not sure where things are going from here. Sometimes I feel like we losing interest, and I don't know how we could make it over time over one year. I mean even if we started over again with contacting, it's not as loving as it has been, I know I shouldn't expect this as we have nothing really at the moment only a vague interest in eachother... but we haven't facetimed or skyped ever since we had contact again. Only sending voice notes. So it seems there's less interest but she keeps apping me everyday. So I'm a bit confused what she wants to.

The things is I still love her a lot, I want to save this thing, while not trancending her the message that i'm some kind of needy wackjob. I'm trying to

A friend of mine suggested writing her and keep online contact a bit more minimal.

So I did some cheesy things, like I send her a box with a small gift and a poem... it was that kind of things she felt in love with with me in the first place, so I'm trying my luck doing something like that.

So basically i want to know:
    - Should I ask her if I can see her on whatsapp or call her? Or why she hasn't?
    - Should I have send the gift and poem to her or was that a wrong move of me?
    - Should i Keep contact minimal and send her letters instead?
    - How should i ask her what her future plans are now that she was to late to apply for the masters? She now has a job for a while, but I'm not sure if and show she's looking for next year or even when next?
    - How can I keep keep this strong for over a year?

If you still have feelings for her then do whatever you can to make it work. You are getting a rare second chance. I was in a long distance relationship and she ended it and never looked back. I would give anything to have another chance. Call her, write, email, ask to Skype, do whatever to reestablish contact. Just slowly build it up again. No need to rush even though you are long distance. She has reached out to you which is the best sign you could hope for.