+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why can't teenagers experiance romantic love?

Why can't teenagers experiance romantic love?

I have to argue that teenagers cannot experience romantic love for a school assignment

I don't know if your school recommended any books or websites to help you answer this question, but from my own personal knowledge, I'd say that it's because of how young and new teenagers are to love. They're just experiencing it, and they might not be able to differentiate between what is romance and what is lust. They might also be more susceptible to peer pressure or outside influences, so they might think that they like someone because everyone else seems to like them, their friends constantly tell them that they like them, or they're under society's influence and opinion that a boy and girl cannot just be friends.
    From personal experience, I know that my friend and I became very confused about our feelings towards each other when everyone around us was always trying to find ways to leave us alone together and telling us that we "liked each other so much that we should just date already." We were just friends, but it became harder for us to carry on like that with everyone in the high school scene viewing us as a couple.
    Also, if this is any help, one of my English teachers told me that teenage love is like blossoms on a wild rose bush. A few manage to mature, but most of them only last in the "late spring, early summer" and wither away in the "winter," or when things become too serious for them to handle.
    I'd like to think that teenagers are perfectly capable of falling in love, but this is for a school assignment.

I think that's a dumb assignment, because of course teenagers can experience romantic love. However, I do believe they do not have the emotional or mental capacity to handle the maturity of serious commitment to another person. That, however, is not the same thing as romantic love. A lot of people have a hard time telling the difference between romantic love and lust... just read half the OPs in this forum lol...
    "Caring is not an advantage."