+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Unrequited love

Unrequited love

Nothing worse, I know because I've been there.

Problem now is that I am the beloved and am unable to reciprocate the feelings a work colleague has for me. I don't want to ignore her but I also don't want to lead her on. Should I try to befriend her or what?

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'll try to hook her up with a mate...

I will say this, you could certainly offer to be her friend and leave it to her to decide if she wants that. However, what you cannot/should not do is to act as though you could be interested just because you think it will spare her feelings, or to lead her on in ambiguity, hanging out with her but not making it clear to her that you are intending it just as friends. If you leave it ambiguous, she'll likely assume you are interested as well. That will only hurt her worse in the end if you really are not.

Trying to hook her up with a friend could be a good idea. Just, if you do, be subtle about it. People often don't like to be "hooked up," but if you kind of just introduce the two of them and/or invite them both to some sort of group activities, maybe they'll hit it off naturally. Would be great if that happened because it would eliminate your problem without you having to worry you are hurting her feelings.

In the end, though, she may not be interested in your friend. Or he may not in her. If it works out, great, but if not and she still tries to pursue you, then you just need to let her down gently. Good luck to you!

It's best to stay out of a co-work's personal life. Just keep a professional work relationship with her but don't go hanging out with her, or introduce her to a buddy....it could just blow up in your face.

Keep it professional. Stop it before it starts.