+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My Kids

My Kids

I am a single mum with teenagers. Everytime I ask my boyfriend (which isn't often) to come over for dinner - he always has an excuse not to come. He says he really really loves me but I'm afraid that if he doesn't accept my kids I'm going to have to end the relationship. They are important to me and if he doesn't accept them or at least try to make an effort to get to know them then I feel that we can't really have a serious relationship. Apart from that everything is so perfect and we get on so well. Any advice? Am I jumping the gun or should I allow time for him to warm up to them (he has been to a couple of family events - about 3 since we met)
    Last edited by lilydaisy; 16-07-16 at 08:41 AM.

Now is time to have that conversation with him. Hey all you want is the truth right?. If he wants no part of your kid's lives, that fine, then he needs to move on.

How long have you been with your boyfriend? If you two are at the place in your relationship where you feel ready to introduce him to your children, you should talk to him about it. If he doesn't accept them, then it really shouldn't be hard to end it.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

I think you're right - a bit nervous about it, but its better to have the truth out than to live with uncertainty

ask what the real reasons are for skipping out on all the dinner invites, and if you think it has to do with him feeling uncomfortable around your kids then ask him that question directly. how are you going to get the truth if you are to scared to ask the tough questions to get to the truth? people have deal breakers for a reason.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

well you have to talk to him about the kids... so he knows what kind of relationship you are looking for ,and also give him some time cuz he maybe just haven't make up his mind abut the kids... i mean he is avoiding it but doesn't mean he is negative to it,he may jut not be ready yet..its not like buying candies...give him some time...adn dont invite him for dinner,invite him to meet the kids ... make it clear that you want him to meet the kids so he has to answer on that .