+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Does he like me more than a friend?

Does he like me more than a friend?

So I'm a freshman in college and I recently became friends with this guy from my church (who's a senior in college). He's a really nice and friendly guy and he has given me rides multiple times to church and to hangouts with our friends (but he's given a lot of people rides before). I've caught him looking at me a couple times from the corner of my eye and he seemed a little disappointed when I got a ride from someone else home (couldn't wait for him). He also invites me to events first before asking everyone else in our friend group/church. He's been teasing me a lot lately but he hasn't done that before. Like I was walking out of a room at a party and I accidentally bumped into him (and it was just us alone) and he said "gosh, why are you always in my way?" in a joking tone. And we message a lot on Facebook and he sends messages like

Him: "Ehh, I'm right, you're wrong. We should move on now. You're a bad sore loser "
    Me: "You're never getting Kung fu tea from me again"
    Him: "oh snap, I should probably plan tours to graduate schools. And I'm OK with that. I don't want diabetes..."
    Me: "Your sass is out of this world." "You should go to --- (the university i'm attending for undergrad)"
    Him: "Lol, I'll only go there if I don't have to see you"

He's a super nice guy and I find it strange that he has been meaner to me and has started to tease me a lot. Could he like me? Or is he just teasing me because he's become more comfortable around me?

Heyo

Well, men come in all sorts of different shapes and sizes and personalities

I know for me, I LOVE teasing all girls, especially when I'm comfortable with them, but the ones I have an inkie for (people who are like... potential crushes, I guess, you kinda like them, but not really, you can have multiple inkies~), I definitely tease quite a bit more and usually in a slightly different way. I might throw in little compliments in my teasing as well.

But based off of what you've said, I think you might be an inkie of his, if not have a lil' somethin' somethin' for you. I could definitely be wrong, you really kinda just have to know the guy to be able to figure it out for sure, so I can't quite give you a for-sure he likes you deal, sorry

I have to options of advice you could take if you so choose:
    1. Ask him out to coffee, just the two of you. I say this in a lot of my posts, haha. But really, it's one of the better ways to see if you have interest in a man, or in this case, if he has interest in you. Make sure you have plenty of things to talk about. I you don't already know him pretty well, ask him a bunch of different questions you don't know, maybe if he's been to another country, and if so, which countries, what he did there, how it was if the people there are nice, if they're short, etc. (you get it I'm sure haha). If he asks you out later, I think that's a solid hint that he does have some interest in you.
    2. Just wait. Patience is an enormous attribute in a healthy, functioning relationship. I think I'd say it's always best to go into the relationship with patience rather than learn it during (I really kinda had to learn patience when I was dating, lol). Wait and hope that he asks you out or until you're sure he likes you. This option will probably be a bit more aggravating, not knowing for long, haha. It is a bit safer? if he ends up not having a crush on you. But really, if the coffee deal doesn't work out, it's not a huge deal to be honest, as long as it's pretty clear it's just a one-time coffee date. In my opinion, you don't have to be dating to go on a date. That's how it used to work a long time ago.

If you don't like any of the advice I give, feel free to disregard it, I'm more than happy to just throw it out there and get ya thinking

Hope it all goes well! Of course I'd love to know whether it does or not, but that's your business, haha. Good luck!

I guess, for me personally, you'd have to be a little more descriptive about what you mean when you say he's "mean to you" or "teases you." Because, a little innocent teasing and being playfully "mean" is much, much different from actually just being mean. If he's actually just being flat out mean, then quite frankly I don't give a crap whether he likes you or not, I don't think he deserves you.

....However, I don't get the impression from what you've shared so far that he is actually being mean. It sounds to me like he is more so being teasingly, playfully mean. In other words, he doesn't really mean the mean things he says, he's just joking with you. Even if he is intending to just be joking, what he does or says COULD cross the line, and then that is not okay. ....But, if he's just innocently teasing you/joking with you, then he's probably not being mean, he's probably just having fun with you.

And, as Mech Mushroom points out we cannot necessarily guarantee anything for sure..... but it does sound like he probably likes you. That is the sort of thing a guy might do around the girl he likes. So, my advice would honestly pretty much echo Mushroom's. I pretty much agree that your options are to either play it cool, respond favorably to his teasing and hope he asks you out, or to just go ahead and ask him out yourself.

If you decide you want to wait and see if he asks you out first, then you may want to engage in his teasing a little yourself. Maybe also flirt and/or throw some subtle signs that you are interested if you feel comfortable doing any of that. However, I would say don't wait around too long for him to make the first move. If he never does/it starts to seem he isn't going to, don't hesitate to just take the initiative to ask him. Sure, if it turns out he only likes you as a friend that would stink and be a little embarrassing, but at least you would know. Knowing is so much better than just always being left to wonder "what if?"

Good luck to you!