+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking Out a Co-Worker?

Quote Originally Posted by melancholia View Post
    Give it a shot, see how it turns out!
    i just wanted to hear if you'd think that's weird or not

Can I ask what kind of Jo you have that makes it so hard for you to talk to her?

I'm just curious as I just don't get how you can know that you want to ask this woman out on a date if you've never said more than two words to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo90 View Post
    Can I ask what kind of Jo you have that makes it so hard for you to talk to her?

I'm just curious as I just don't get how you can know that you want to ask this woman out on a date if you've never said more than two words to each other.
    it's a pharmacy. the size of the place is smaller than your living room to put it into perspective. you can talk to people, but anything u say , EVERYONE else WILL hear you. It's supposed to be like that for communication purposes. we "talk" but about our JOB, nothing to do with a relationship or our personal lives lol

This may just be me, but I think making it a point to show back up when you know she's getting off work for the day could look a little weird. I mean, unless you had some believable reason. Like, for example, if you said you worked in a department store, well, you could easily just come back in to do some shopping and run into her as she was leaving work for the day.

But, if you work in a pharmacy, I'm not exactly sure that would work. I'd also say it is maybe different if you two get off around the same time. But, you are saying you get off for work hours before her, so again, for you to suddenly show up hours later to try to run into her might seem strange. Of course, maybe that's just me. I don't know.

On the other hand, if you actually CAN easily have a reasonable excuse for why you'd be there again, then it wouldn't necessarily seem so strange and I'd say go for it. I understand what you mean about not feeling comfortable asking her out around other co-workers. I can definitely relate. I am super shy enough as it is, I don't need an audience if/when I may actually work up the determination to ask a girl out. Like the others, I find it a little strange that there is literally no way you can find an excuse to talk to her for a couple minutes during the work day in private somehow.... but I'll take you at your word on that.

So, talking to her face to face would be ideal.... but if it is not possible, then I'd agree with the Facebook or note sort of idea. Find a way to discreetly pass her a note, or contact her on social media and that way you are able to reach out to her privately, rather than having the whole thing happen in front of an audience.

I also do agree with some of the others that is generally a good rule of thumb not to date co-workers (though, there are exceptions where it isn't as big a deal).... but she's not going to be your co-worker much longer. So, not really a problem here. So, believe me, you'd be much better of asking her out than to keep wondering what if. Hopefully she is interested. If not, that would suck.... but you'd be better off knowing because at least then you can move on and eventually find somebody else who interests you.

Good luck.

Either ask her out via Facebook, or write her a note (elementary school style) and hand it to her while at work. If you really want to ask her out, you will find a way to do that.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    This may just be me, but I think making it a point to show back up when you know she's getting off work for the day could look a little weird. I mean, unless you had some believable reason. Like, for example, if you said you worked in a department store, well, you could easily just come back in to do some shopping and run into her as she was leaving work for the day.

But, if you work in a pharmacy, I'm not exactly sure that would work. I'd also say it is maybe different if you two get off around the same time. But, you are saying you get off for work hours before her, so again, for you to suddenly show up hours later to try to run into her might seem strange. Of course, maybe that's just me. I don't know.

On the other hand, if you actually CAN easily have a reasonable excuse for why you'd be there again, then it wouldn't necessarily seem so strange and I'd say go for it. I understand what you mean about not feeling comfortable asking her out around other co-workers. I can definitely relate. I am super shy enough as it is, I don't need an audience if/when I may actually work up the determination to ask a girl out. Like the others, I find it a little strange that there is literally no way you can find an excuse to talk to her for a couple minutes during the work day in private somehow.... but I'll take you at your word on that.

So, talking to her face to face would be ideal.... but if it is not possible, then I'd agree with the Facebook or note sort of idea. Find a way to discreetly pass her a note, or contact her on social media and that way you are able to reach out to her privately, rather than having the whole thing happen in front of an audience.

I also do agree with some of the others that is generally a good rule of thumb not to date co-workers (though, there are exceptions where it isn't as big a deal).... but she's not going to be your co-worker much longer. So, not really a problem here. So, believe me, you'd be much better of asking her out than to keep wondering what if. Hopefully she is interested. If not, that would suck.... but you'd be better off knowing because at least then you can move on and eventually find somebody else who interests you.

Good luck.
    Appreciate it Jester. Yeah our work day is absolutely insane. to say "hey what did you have for dinner last night" , we barely have time to even get that out lol. Like NOTHING of this can be spread to any co worker or it would just really make the work days weird. Hard to explain the situation in much greater detail. Really just having a hard time deciding in which way i should approach this out of the ways i listed. Whatever I choose it will happen this friday night. She leaves like 4 or 5 hours later than me both days im at her store this week so no way that can happen. In essence i feel driving back there for when she gets off isn't that weird, if not that should make her feel special that i drove back out just to meet her haha right? But then again that's why im even asking that question on here . Hoping for the best

I mean, I readily admit that maybe that is just me. Maybe it isn't that weird, so perhaps others can chime in with their thoughts. It's just to me, I could imagine a gal thinking that was strange and be made to feel a little uncomfortable/stalked if somebody made it a point to come all the way back to work several hours after they left just to "run into" her. I guess the difference would be between whether she likes you or not. LOL! If she likes you, she might find that sweet/it might make her feel special. If she doesn't, that might make her think you a stalker. LOL!

Don't misunderstand. I'm NOT calling you a stalker or suggestion that doing that IS weird. I agree with you that I don't think there is anything weird about it. You want to ask her out, but you don't really get that chance during work, so when else would you do it if you wanted to do it face to face? I'm just saying, it is possible it could be misunderstood, so I think given those options it is probably better just to go with passing her a note or sending her an e-mail/private message on social media.

I would normally suggest face to face vs. doing something like that, but in this situation it just sounds like face to face would be unlikely/too awkward. Heck, if you do go to note/e-mail route, maybe even say something about that. Something like "Sorry, I really would have rather done this face to face, but we never really get enough of a chance to talk at work so it seemed like there wasn't any other way."

Anyways, good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    I mean, I readily admit that maybe that is just me. Maybe it isn't that weird, so perhaps others can chime in with their thoughts. It's just to me, I could imagine a gal thinking that was strange and be made to feel a little uncomfortable/stalked if somebody made it a point to come all the way back to work several hours after they left just to "run into" her. I guess the difference would be between whether she likes you or not. LOL! If she likes you, she might find that sweet/it might make her feel special. If she doesn't, that might make her think you a stalker. LOL!

Don't misunderstand. I'm NOT calling you a stalker or suggestion that doing that IS weird. I agree with you that I don't think there is anything weird about it. You want to ask her out, but you don't really get that chance during work, so when else would you do it if you wanted to do it face to face? I'm just saying, it is possible it could be misunderstood, so I think given those options it is probably better just to go with passing her a note or sending her an e-mail/private message on social media.

I would normally suggest face to face vs. doing something like that, but in this situation it just sounds like face to face would be unlikely/too awkward. Heck, if you do go to note/e-mail route, maybe even say something about that. Something like "Sorry, I really would have rather done this face to face, but we never really get enough of a chance to talk at work so it seemed like there wasn't any other way."

Anyways, good luck to you.
    No problem at all, i want honest opinions even if it's mixed feelings like you're having about it. I could see it the same way tbh, if she likes me THEN it would be cool, if not THEN it could be stalkerish haha.
    Very nice point you made at the end, letting her know "hey, since i couldn't get time alone with u to ask u in person" or something along those lines, that's a good way of putting it.
    And yeah i agree with the in person thing, def the best way and will try my hardest to get that chance. But i'm hoping by this friday night i make a decision and go with it.

I can't wait for the update on this after Friday lol
    "Caring is not an advantage."

I can't wait for the update on this after Friday lol
    Dont worry, me neither LOL.
    Very tricky situation, at least for me who's been with the company for 5 years. Gunna just play it by ear and see what i can do

Give it a shot, see how it turns out!
    god damn it. It's so ridiculous how all day today literally got to talk to her for a second when she walked into the place and she asked me how i was and everything...then so busy and so many back to back to back non stop things to do , barely got to say bye when i left. Hopefully tomorrow is a bit slower. I'm telling you it's like the WORST place ever for this type of problem

Sorry but why can't you just call her?

Quote Originally Posted by Braytc View Post
    god damn it. It's so ridiculous how all day today literally got to talk to her for a second when she walked into the place and she asked me how i was and everything...then so busy and so many back to back to back non stop things to do , barely got to say bye when i left. Hopefully tomorrow is a bit slower. I'm telling you it's like the WORST place ever for this type of problem
    I sympathize with you. I work in a grocery store and the situation isn't quite so bad but finding some private time still is difficult. The customers and coworkers almost always can hear everything.

I like the idea of coming back to work when you know she will be getting off. I've done that and it turned out OK.
    Last edited by NewJack; 21-08-16 at 06:15 AM.

I don't see why calling her is such a big deal. It's far less complicated, making a quick, simple phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream_of_Waves View Post
    I don't see why calling her is such a big deal. It's far less complicated, making a quick, simple phone call.
    That isn't the problem. At all. What happens AFTER the fact is not what i'm worried about. The problem is "the best approach on HOW and WHEN" to. So to call her how would you GIVE your number. At no point can i be like "oh hey, here's my number, want to go ______ with me on _______ " . We're debating out of the couple things discussed what's the safest way of doing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast