+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When should i get engaged?

When should i get engaged?

I'm thinking about asking my gf of 22 months to get angaged on my 18th party (she's 17, 18 in march next year). And yeah we are young, but i think it would be a kinda nice idea, im scared of the formalities as her mother hates me, but between me and my gf we feel like we are wanting to be together for a long time, so im curios as to your opinions.

Tone Guest
    No.

No.

No.

No.

Finish school, chances are you won't make it through that together. I'm not being a hater, I'm just being realistic.

No.

Me thinks you already know what you want to do...but..You want us to say that you're doing the right thing. Sorry but i don't think you''ll get many people to agree here.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Ok, so why do you feel the need to get engaged now? Why not wait until you are in your 20's? You said you two feel like you want to be together for a long time. I didn't see anywhere in there for a Lifetime. I would hold off on that.

Yea, I too think you're being foolish. Young love should remain just that. What's the rush? You can still be together and not be married. Give it a few age. Trust the Lf Brain Trust on this one, we've seen it all.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Im not totally sure about doing it, i'd like to do it, but a month ago, i was wanting to get engaged in a totally different scenario.
    To the person who said get through school, after school i intend to move 300 miles to go to a uni closer to hers.

that's great, get engaged then married and then not be able to drink at your own wedding!

and i am willing to wait, i think she's kinda got it in her head that she would like to be as a few of her friends sisters (aged 19) have recently been engaged.
    And we are thinking of a long time engagement getting married in our lateish 20's.

You're not totally sure and that alone should tell you No. The two of you don't live near each other now?

Quote Originally Posted by dukern
    and i am willing to wait, i think she's kinda got it in her head that she would like to be as a few of her friends sisters (aged 19) have recently been engaged.
    And we are thinking of a long time engagement getting married in our lateish 20's.
    Holy crap, where do you live? I'm mid 20's and just now people around me are getting engaged. 19 is too young IMO.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Honestly......you both are very young.....

WHy not wait until your older???

Can you support her without help from your parents??? If not..then I suggest you put the idea of marriage on hold and get education or a good job first.

Wait until at least she is 21....and then try popping the question. Live together first for a year or two to see if it will work.(after she turns 21 that is). Marriage is a huge step and should not be entered into lightly........so take your time and get to know each other better. Also let her grow up a little bit first...... You had your fun of being 21 etc......now let her....and then go from there....
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

she lives about 3 hours away, she lives nearish to glasgow (could explain it really)

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah the idea of marriage right now is scary....and Im 24!!! I think 25 or so is a good age to start considering it. That way you have that time to be free and do your own thing before settling down.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

I agree Ellynn. I know I wasn't ready to even start thinking about it until recently.

Tone Guest
    You don't even live close? Is this an e-girlfriend?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast