+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club Season 5 movie : The Birds ( review )

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION]

i wasn't a fan of the slow build up they took it went on forever imo and there wasn't a great pay off at the end either. so that would be least.

as for favorite scene would be the town attack scene and explosion shots. also how they mixed real and not real birds seamlessly.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Hitchcock made puppet birds terrifying lol

My fave character just throwing it out was the mum.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

October is a busy month for me. I still haven't had a chance to watch. I swear I intend to soon, but if I miss out on our time frame, I'll just check it out when I do get a chance and pop in to share my thoughts after.

I feel most didn't really like this film ~ sorry if so. I know it isn't the regular horror fare, I was disappointed I couldn't find a black & white version of it.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

TBH -- it wasn't the one I voted for to win but also I haven't had almost any online time to say or discuss anything. No need for sorry, breathe -- not everything can be to every bodies taste. I found it slow but was an okay movie for its time.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

I just have not been online to post, breathe123 it has nothing to do with the movie choice for me at all.

I overall enjoyed the movie. It was a build up to the action part of the movie which seemed to gain force more close to the late middle of this movie and continued to build up until the end where they seemed to give up, maybe ran out of time to meet a deadline for release and couldn't add any extended plot line at the end, maybe because so much waste was done from start to middle. The acting was well done, enjoyed the character of Mitch and like megvoh said as well the mother, and some of the towns locals.

The sound effects worked very well here, so you didn't need too many fancy special effects although they did give us a few with the birds. Anyone who had a bird phobia would feel a severe anxiety when viewing this motion picture.

I didn't understand why the main character ( actress) was made to be so cold, distant which in turn renders her somewhat un-likeable and un-relatable to the audience they are trying to drawn into and obviously want you to worry and care about. They also made the other woman who moved to the town for Mitch distant and cold IMO also, same for Mitch's mother. Come to think of it.

The start of the movie was so carefree and light and the darkness of mood grew and grew as the story unfolded.

I'd rate the movie a 7 out of 10.

Forgot to answer your questions, dollhouse. Figured I should get back on while I can and answer this for you and your review thread.

For a favorite scene from the movie The Birds. I would have to say that scene in the house when all the smaller birds came in from the fireplace, broke through the windows and were cutting through the boarded windows and doorways would be a special scene. The effects and the facial reactions of all the actors, Mitch, Melanie, Cathy and his mother. How they all were terrified and also closely bonded. Since the movie characters were so cold and distant previously it was nice to see that they joined together in fear if nothing else.

For a least favorite scene I thought the opener in the pet shop with meeting Mitch and all the dialogue within those scenes I found contrived and annoying. They could have added more depth to the ending over wasting all that playfulness that failed IMO at the beginning movie scenes. It wasn't needed.

My last post here was to thank you for your review...topaz. It got deleted with all others posts made by whatever posters logged in then.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I am going to wait until this site works properly again, too annoying to deal with.

[MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] no, but mine was the other one that lost on the second re vote. guess this one is over with now? and with people seemingly not being able to access here the next is permanently on hold?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

[MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION]

I think only TheEvilJester wasn't able to add his review to this season. Breathe123 is to run the next round and since she hasn't been online and may not be able to be online here the next season will be delayed until all involved can participate. So we can have a small hiatus from the movie club until further notice.

I'm happy to wait, even until after the new year if we could? Wanted to read Jester's review.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

I have been so crazy busy I still didn't get around to watching this movie. Don't wait on me. If I wind up getting a chance to watch it, I'll add my review here, but we can go ahead whenever we are ready to proceed to the next movie.

I think if this thread gets locked because of that timer this website sets you could put your review in topazlight's big thread and everyone can make comments there... breathe123 was to start the next round but she hasn't been on or unable to get on since the forum went down last month and I think I read pcmaster say in the other thread he will let her run it alone since he ran it once already.

I'm back & am okay if everyone wants to wait on the next round. Should we vote on how many want to continue season 6 or wait & do it 2017?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Why? It will just come out a tie if we do that. LOL! I'm sort of in favor on putting the next round on hold until 2017. I've been so busy I haven't even gotten around to watching The Birds yet. After the holidays I will probably have a little more free time and would be better ready for the next round.

But, if the rest of the group decides we want to just go ahead, I'll just do my best to make time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast