+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to tell my girlfriend I suck at texting so I don't bore her?

How to tell my girlfriend I suck at texting so I don't bore her?

Hey everyone I honestly suck so bad at texting. I never know how to hold a conversation without asking questions but I don't want to keep asking questions because every girl I've been with before it has bored them. I've told my current girlfriend I suck and she said you don't but I worry I may bore her and make her lose interest in me when we text. What can I say? I dont want her to think I'm not interested.

As long as she knows that and is okay with it, I don't see why you need to do anything. Some people aren't big on texting. As far as I see it, that's not a big deal if you are one of those people. As long as you don't blatantly ignore her if/when she texts you, you don't necessarily have to be the world's greatest two-thumbed conversationalist. LOL!

I mean, if texting is a big deal for her, then maybe that wouldn't work out. But, if she understands you are not a huge text fan and doesn't mind, then there should be no problem. Are you better with other forms of keeping in touch? I think it is much more important for you to be able to talk with her face to face more than it matters via text. I, myself, can text back and forth with somebody all day but HATE talking on the phone. I'm not even really sure why, I just can't stand it. I'll make an exception for the right person/reason, but as a general rule of thumb I don't like talking on the phone.

....Yet face to face, with the right person, I could talk all day every day about everything and nothing and have the time of my life. I think as long as you let her know that you just aren't a big texter, she should understand. All the same, make an effort as much as you can. Like, don't just give her one word answers all the time, or completely ignore texts. You just don't necessarily have to be Mr. Chatty via text if that isn't really you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    As long as she knows that and is okay with it, I don't see why you need to do anything. Some people aren't big on texting. As far as I see it, that's not a big deal if you are one of those people. As long as you don't blatantly ignore her if/when she texts you, you don't necessarily have to be the world's greatest two-thumbed conversationalist. LOL!

I mean, if texting is a big deal for her, then maybe that wouldn't work out. But, if she understands you are not a huge text fan and doesn't mind, then there should be no problem. Are you better with other forms of keeping in touch? I think it is much more important for you to be able to talk with her face to face more than it matters via text. I, myself, can text back and forth with somebody all day but HATE talking on the phone. I'm not even really sure why, I just can't stand it. I'll make an exception for the right person/reason, but as a general rule of thumb I don't like talking on the phone.

....Yet face to face, with the right person, I could talk all day every day about everything and nothing and have the time of my life. I think as long as you let her know that you just aren't a big texter, she should understand. All the same, make an effort as much as you can. Like, don't just give her one word answers all the time, or completely ignore texts. You just don't necessarily have to be Mr. Chatty via text if that isn't really you.
    I tried tell her today but she keeps replying to every message. Thing is I can tell she is like me and not sure what to say as she will read my message (whatsapp) then I'll see her typing, stop typing, typing. You can tell she is thinking of what to say. I normally try respond every 10 mins so I dont run out of ideas. Thing is she replies eventually though, for instance she told me she was going out so I said have a good time and she replied like 20 mins later saying she loves me.

I don't mean to poke fun at you, but honestly this is not that big of a deal lol. It makes me sad for you that previous relationships have failed because you think you ask too many questions. What's wrong with asking questions? We live in a digital age right now and the immediacy of texting and social media responses is something most of us expect. It's also worth pointing out that she may just find it easier and more comfortable to talk via texting. For me, I am quite the texter, and my BF and I like phone calls and texts. We typically say good morning & good night texts or phone calls, and we will text random things through out the day. I think most people like getting a text from their SO because it shows them you are thinking about them. It doesn't have to be some grandiose, Shakespearean type of message, but just a short, nice little message that says "hey, I was thinking of you and thought I'd let you know". If I find something funny online, I will text it to my BF, or sometimes if I'm feeling affectionate and sweet, I'll say something like "hey, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you." or whatever.

I think you are placing too much pressure on yourself to be perfect, and nobody is perfect, so you should get over that. If your girlfriend likes you, she won't be caught up in what you ARE saying, so much as what you aren't saying (as in, if you don't reply because you're worried you might say the wrong thing). The more you text, the more comfortable you will be with it. Try to relax and have some fun with it!
    "Caring is not an advantage."