+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I like my coworker... does she like me?

I like my coworker... does she like me?

Before I begin, I just want to say I really need some unbiased, unfiltered, honest advice, because I am driving myself crazy.

I'm a 22 year old female. I identify as bisexual. My crush is 31, and a lesbian. There is quite a significant age difference between us.

We both work in an office in administration support. Funnily enough, our cubicles are situated right next to each other.

When I first met her, I hardly thought anything of her (other than she was pretty). She's a very sarcastic woman and it can sometimes seem like she isn't friendly due to it. However, we slowly became acquaintances after I was hired. One day I overheard a conversation she was having with another coworker, whom referred to her needing to find a "partner," which was oddly nonspecific. This was the first time I wondered if maybe she was into women. Then she began to wink at me in the halls when we passed each other. I thought perhaps it was just playful... at this point I wasn't even sure if she was into women. She is also European American (from Poland) so I wondered if the winking was perhaps just a cultural difference rather than a flirty indication.

However I still did wonder.

A few days after my birthday she took me out for a birthday drink. We talked a lot and got to know each other and I had a great time. Again, wasn't sure if she was into women, but definitely starting to have a crush on her regardless. She was slightly flirty that night (touched my hair, kissed me on the cheek goodbye) but I still thought perhaps it was friendly.

I brought her a coffee a few days later, and she seemed flustered and charmed by it.

Flash forward a few weeks and she went out with a friend and I for drinks after work. This time she revealed she was gay. Not believing my luck I revealed I was into women as well. She asked a few questions about my last relationship but there was definitely a weird energy between us after that. Not in a bad way, just tension I suppose. When we left, she said "I'm cold just looking at you" and stopped to adjust/button my coat. It was incredibly intimate-- I actually got shy and looked away while she did it. Then as we said our goodbyes, I hugged her and she said "I knew it." Meaning she knew I was queer, lol.

At work we do flirt nowadays, but sometimes the signals are mixed. Some days she's very flirty (she will wink at me all the time, especially if we make eye contact), and some days she's a bit aloof and distant. I notice her glance at me when she walks by often.

We went out a third time for drinks and I stepped up my game a little, but she is private and I still don't know much about her past relationships, or even her in general. She seems more interested in letting me talk. She does tell me things, but perhaps she needs to feel a little more comfortable to get super intimate (and that's okay). I also held onto her arm at the end of the night and walked with her, and she let me for a few moments, but then seemed to want to break away. She seems afraid of something?

I suppose my question is... how should I approach this? I really like her and I want things to progress. But I'm afraid that if I admit it, it will either scare her off, or she'll reveal that "she likes me too, but..." There are a lot of things that are risky with it. One is, of course, that we work together... however neither one of us are going to make a career out of where we are. At least I'm not intending to. And two, the age difference between us is quite vast, and that might scare her a bit. I am curious to hear older women's opinions... would you be hesitant if a 22 year old liked you, and why?

We have a holiday party coming up (she's asked if I'm going twice), so I'm wondering if maybe something will happen there.

hi.. i'm a new member here..

hi.. libralove.. now a days its very natural to like or to secretly love to somebody or someone you always see or talk.. all you need to do just show her that you like her.. approach her in a nice way.. care for here in your own way..