+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long term relationship help

Long term relationship help

Hi, first post and tbh, I never thought I'd get to the point of needing help!
    Il try and keep it short and sweet

I've been with my girlfriend / fiancee for over nine years.
    We get on very well, we don't argue, we laugh, we go out, I really don't have a negative apart from little things which are seperate to the relationship!

I went out Saturday and I got chatted up by a gorgeous girl, we chatted, had a laugh, we work at the same place (huge place)
    She gave me her number and told me to ring her, this is a first for me tbh as I don't go out on the pull as it where

Now, I can't help but wonder what it would be like to start again, dating, the start of relationship feelings, all the lovey Dovey stuff.
    Not with this girl just any girl in general.

I do also have two kids and I have the feeling it's the kids which are keeping me here, although I haven't up until now.

My girlfriend is aware of how I feel and she is so calm it's concerning, she sas she hasn't had any of these feelings.
    Has this relationship lost its spark?
    Is it just a crush type of thing.

Have I changed (new job and increase in wages sees me wanting different things)

I'm lost at the minute!

Thanks

You probably have changed and also you are possibly in this relationship because of your children.

Sparks disappear after being with someone for a very long time, but it is up to you two to do something about it.

These questions you ask, unfortunately, are not easy ones to answer. We can't really answer them for you. It is possible you are starting to wonder these things because your relationship just isn't quite the right one, but you are still uncertain and reluctant to lose it. .....It's also entirely possible that you are starting to wonder these things merely because you are getting a little freaked out over nothing. It is natural to once and a while have some doubts, especially as a relationship starts to become more and more serious.

Maybe the "spark" and "excitement" of your current relationship has faded..... but the thing too many people fail to realize is that will ALWAYS happen. A relationship is not always going to be exciting and new. It will not always be amazing and like fireworks are going off every time you two see each other. All relationships eventually become "comfortable," so to speak. What too many people fail to realize is that doesn't have to be a bad thing. In fact, that SHOULD be a really good thing. It should be when you two know each other, faults and all, and yet still want to be together anyway. It should be when you realize you don't NEED it to be exciting and new to want to be together. That should be when love becomes even deeper.

It can also be when you discover you two are perhaps not the right match after all. So, yes, it can certainly be that you are beginning to see that you two are maybe not the right match.... but at the same time it could just be you worrying yourself over nothing.

We can't really know. That something you will need to figure out. I would just suggest you don't jump too quickly to either conclusion. Give yourself time to work it out and really think about it. Think about your life without her. Think, also, about your life if you spend the rest of it with her and without any other women. If you can't bare the thought of being without her, maybe that is your answer. If you can't bare the thought of being with her for the rest of your life without getting to be with other women, maybe that is your answer. You can't have it both ways.

Remember, though, you are human. Of course it is kind of exciting when somebody asks you out or flirts with you. Hell, especially for us guys because usually it happens the other way around. That's probably never going to change.... but if you find yourself feeling like you'd rather have your current gal rather than have a chance to explore relationships with other women.... then that is telling you something.

Good luck to you either way. Not easy questions you have in front of you, so I wish you the best in discovering your path.