+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 3's of 2016. TV and Movies.

Thank you, melancholia. I will look for the documentary too and watch that first. I find the whole concept interesting that people can follow Scientology and buy into what it says, and that so many high profile celebrities swear by it. It is why I am curious to watch a celeb denounce it such as Leah Remini after spending her life in it.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

I like that so many people are putting Deadpool on their top list. Warms that cold dark place where I'm supposed to have a heart. But... you know... only slightly. It's still pretty cold.

[MENTION=77017]lovebroken[/MENTION] My apologies, it's actually Going Clear, not Becoming Clear; but anyway, it talks about why so many celebrities have become Scientologists, and why they stick around for so long. Leah Remini: The Aftermath explains more why regular people get caught up in it and why the cult seems so appealing, so if you watch both the film and tv docs, you will get a great level of insight as to why so many people get caught up in it and why it's so hard for them to get out.
    Last edited by melancholia; 19-01-17 at 11:20 PM.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

I always wonder about that death of John Travolta's son and how much him being a Cult follower played into what kind of medical care that child received.

Oh, it would have played into the medical care he got 100%. Scientologists don't believe in science and medicine, they believe each person should be able to cure their own problems on their own.

[MENTION=81312]melancholia[/MENTION]
    Thank you, I found links to the docu so I can watch that this weekend and after that follow up with the episodes ( when I find them ) of the tv series with Leah Remini. I wonder when people especially celebrities break away from a religion like this are they harassed and made to suffer for leaving or does the church just ignore them and are seen as non entities now.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

It depends (you will learn this from Leah's show). If you are a high profile member of Scientology, or a member of the SEA-Org (an organization made up of the most dedicated Scientologists, who live communally and dedicate their lives to the service of Scientology), they will be harassed, stalked, and slandered by PIs and other personnel hired by Scientology. It's INSANE what this cult is (supposedly legally) able to get away with. I really hope this docu-series jump starts the take down of this abusive, horrible cult, masquerading as a religion. It's NOT religion, religion talks about love of all people, and their followers are free to come and go and will not be looked down upon; nor does it require thousands upon thousands of dollars to be a member. Religion is about faith. Faith in humanity and faith in one's god, not some crazy human being who clearly had a serious mental illness, who was succeeded by an abusive sadist (David Miscavige). By the way, members of the SEA-org, who get pregnant are forced to have abortions; and husbands/wives/parents/children are all kept separate and are not allowed to live with each other if they are members of the SEA-org.
    Last edited by melancholia; 28-01-17 at 12:28 AM.

That's awful. Isn't this all based off the mind of a science fiction writer? Wonder why people think they don't deserve more than to be abused and used by that organization and why celebrities even find it attractive at all, you'd think it would hurt them being associated with something that abuses so many. Church should be dismantled and FBI should get involved.

Both the HBO documentary and Leah Remini's show do a great job of explaining how and why so many people fall into the trap, and why celebrities do as well. Going Clear explains more about why celebrities get into it and Leah's show explains more about why/how regular people fall into it. It's all cult mentality. If you look at ANY cult, they all follow the same formula. It's very interesting, but also extremely sad and frustrating to watch as a compassionate outsider.

Tom Cruise is the poster child for this cult -- cannot even imagine how many poor victims he himself has brought into that crazy cult. I always thought him and Travolta and even Alley were in their because gay and wanted to have that erased or some stupid shit and were told Scientology could help them with it. Because they didn't go in as a child like Remini did with her family.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Wanted to add into here from my previous comments. I saw Going Clear and wow what an interesting and informative documentary. Now looking forward to viewing the Tv series mentioned in here next.

I forgot Broadchurch, not sure we had new ones in 2016 but I watched one that we had in that year, catching up and now a new season is back now.
    I think you guys in the USA got a American version of the show too.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

I think I recall that show, megvoh..I didn't watch it though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    I never did get into WOW (World of Warcraft) and therefore did not see that movie. However, the buzz I'd heard from friends who WERE into WOW wasn't all that good, at least from the perspective of an actual WOW fan. But, again, that's only going based on word of mouth. I don't know for myself.
    I dont know story line of WoW since I dont get into story when playing game. But in a movie was something for everyone.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12