+ Follow This Topic

Thread: 17 and depressed

17 and depressed

My boyfriend and I are 19 and 17 respectively, we met last July on a training course and became a couple in September 2016. He has ADHD and Tourette's, and I suffer from low moods at the best of times, which all adds to the complications. We were fine, couple arguments here and there, then everything changed and people began to tell me he was controlling and emotionally blackmailing, which I never noticed at first. Whenever I suffered from a low mood we would argue and later on I would be made out to be the "bad guy", even though I spent the previous few hours crying my heart out. I first noticed things wasn't right when I stopped eating properly and suffered from insomnia, which all started after a really bad argument with my boyfriend. The emotional blackmail is getting worse and worse and all of this is having a knock on effect on my schoolwork and my health. My grades dropped from an A to a U, my skin was peeling due to all the stress and my weight rocketed due to binge eating. I may sound like a totally crazy teenager here, but could ask the arguments and stuff with my boyfriend be causing depression? Please help!

You didn't specify which part you wanted help with but i'll answer anyway.
    Take care of you and your health first always! if you don't have your health you can't really have a healthy relationship and paritcipate in one right?
    As part of that, at some point you will realize if this man is healthy for you or not, and if it's workable or not. The ideal thing to do is while you are getting yourself back into a healty state, you advocate that he do as well - and as you both do that (together or apart) you may decide or see what you have or don't have then and then decide.

BUT THE FOCUS IS YOUR HEALTH until you're healthy again! Never let anything get in the way of that!

Good luck!

Listen, do n`t listen to any crap half baked, get out of that relationship immediately, he has psychopathic traits, no idea how many, but he has some critical ones, and you require a supporting relationship. In my opinion genuine friendship with a guy in his sixties or seventies would do you a million times better than this one. Seriously though, you are probably likely to get better support from somebody significantly your senior, but I`m not talking relationships now, I`m talking friendships, and it is actually quality friendships which are required. As for your health, for all we know so far you may already be doing everything possible for that?? - What is richiro even talking about, with you? I`m a sixty one year old male housing teenage girls, and I support their psychological needs better than I could have done at their age, and better with every passing generation. I`m only entirely adequate now, hence, the relationships are only now of the highest order. Men of all years can be masters of deception, men are high risk, but men considerably older than you, prejudice to one side, are barely even visible in the statistics. If you are vulnerable, which you seem to be, play safe, or at least, play much safer. It is only when one has been treated right by a best friend for a number of years that one is genuinely ready for a relationship, but no, not with somebody considerably older, not unless he is in that tiny fraction of one percent of the population now proven to be ageing thirty years slower than the average for the rest. That at least should be afforded recognition, is n`t, but should be.

Yes, they could be, or otherwise will be significantly contributing. Check with your GP, as your serotonin levels might require a small boost. If very small ask him if he is prepared to experiment with tryptophan first, it`s a natural precursor which you can source yourself. You might just request a blood test at the same time, B vitamins are a factor. The longer you stay in this relationship the greater the likelihood you`d require counselling, and it may even be of benefit now. Not easy to get mind. Get out of the relationship before taking anti depressants is my advice, or you might never get off it again.
    Last edited by Kates David; 01-02-17 at 06:32 PM.