+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to be single and happy

How to be single and happy

Hi. I have decided that I don't want any more relationships in my life, for various reasons. How can I get out of the societal mindset that you 'need' to be in a relationship? What can I do instead to be happy and take the loneliness away? I only have one close friend and am not outgoing. I don't trust people and prefer animals. My landlady would probably not allow me to have a dog and that I feel would make a lot of difference as they give unconditional love.

Thanks.

How old are you? Since you decided to end with relationships. Being single is more like neutral. You can be much unhappier in relationship sometimes. Society are showing off their relationships, but being single is not talked about. So it might se that everyone is in relationships while they are not.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I'm 42, I know not everyone is in a relationship. Most are at my age though. Society definitely makes too much of it. I agree you can be more unhappy in a relationship. It just isn't worth it really.

Could you move rentals to one that is equally priced and will accept pets, and maybe look at meet up groups in your area who do a hobby or sport that would interest you, one the sport or hobby will keep you busy and you'll also meet even more people to widen your friend zone. Charity/volunteer work is very rewarding too.

Yeah, my financial circumstances are not great, and was very lucky to get the flat I'm in. I am hoping to move town soon but it depends on the whole financial question. I think I would be more inclined to go out there than where I stay now. I am going to be put on a work placement soon and am hoping they will locate it in the new town. If I can get a job out of it then maybe all these things will be possible. It's the money that is the problem.