+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club ~ Our Season 6 movie to review ~ What Dreams May Come!

[MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION] ~ that is okay ~ I can keep giving it a bump so it doesn't get that 30 day dumb lock & if you don't feel like doing this one for your own reasons that is okay too. People pass on reviewing, so you can too.

[MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] ~ Yes, Albert was my fav character in this movie, maybe the dog too :]

As for Annie, his wife ~ I felt sorry for her, you could tell in the scene where her art show was to happen & she called Chris at his work & with patient she was nervous & panicked and he had to calm her down, she was definitely on the edge still and fragile so you knew when he died, since he became her whole world she would kill herself. I felt she was stand offish too but it didn't make me dislike her character just not invest feelings as much into her character if that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I love some of the still images from this movie, this is one of them. Also liked when her painted tree began to melt too.

(≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Okay watched the movie -- wrote my review and lost it, ROFL. Doesn't it effing figure, so I'll just wing my review meaning it will be fairly brief but I can make up with chat on the movie next post I make.

Firstly it was a depressing tale in my eyes, were there redeeming uplifting parts, for certain but so much loss and death immediately it really sets that downer mood, well for myself it did. I am not sure how the rest of you got on with that but I get why it is about that feeling of grief, losing people you love and the pain and bad feelings that sit inside you because of it, so in ways the movie delivered and then some on relaying that feeling.

It was an artistic film, visual as hell and most likely pioneering in its special effects.

Robin William's did a good job with his part in the movie but I couldn't help the whole time thinking about him killing himself, the whole damn time, anyone else? What a huge loss of a talent in that man and his character was him in the mixture of humor and drama. Also liked Cuba Gooding Jr in this too. Both equally carried the movie imo. The idea of not seeing your loved ones as they were in life was confusing -- why wouldn't you, you loved them, you are in heaven all should be at peace once in heaven so why add that weird part to it.

On the "let's do this again" end of movie -- not positive I would want that for myself I'd be content with finally being with all my immediate loved ones, together in heaven.

Rating : 7/10 God acting, visuals, soundtrack and enough of a good story but had some issues.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

[MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] ... I love that image you posted too and quite a few more from the movie ...

Yes, on the dog being a favorite character too, even had its own death scene like the others.
    [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION]... I felt somber Re: Robin Williams and how he died while watching the movie too, can't help think about him and that he took his own life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jffs24 View Post
    The idea of not seeing your loved ones as they were in life was confusing -- why wouldn't you, you loved them, you are in heaven all should be at peace once in heaven so why add that weird part to it.
    I'm not sure if this is the part of that you found confusing, but to clarify, they chose those forms. In other words, his son and daughter chose to present themselves in those different forms. It wasn't like Robin Williams's character just saw them that way. He saw them that way because THEY chose to be seen that way. I agree it was weird, but I also kind of like the idea/imagery behind that. The idea being that you are not your body. There is more to you than just the form you inhabit. You can look like anything and you are still you.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] ~ Did you read my post in topaz's larger movie thread? what do you think?

I didn't like the kids hid who they were from their father ~ I didn't understand why either ~ he knew as kids they definitely went to heaven & Chris told Albert( his son in disguise) right away that he wanted to see his kids. So Albert ~ his son knew from the beginning in heaven his dad wanted to see him again, same for the daughter. So I felt that it was Chris that had a block & couldn't see his kids, because why did Albert his son look so sad that his dad couldn't see it was him? Same lesser for his daughter in that scene & she chose to be a flight attendent her & her dad had seen once before.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

I felt it was Chris too that was having the blocking of his own kids too... I can't recall who if anyone different Annie saw when she didn't seem to recognize Chris in hell, but how come Chris could see Annie's face right away in hell but not his boy and girl in heaven?

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] -- yes, the part where his own kids appeared as different and much older men and women to their own father. I didn't get the purpose of it to the story, just a part of the fantasy of the movie, maybe?

I would want to appear as myself to my friends and family in heaven -- the above that [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] said -- that even in hell his wife couldn't tell it was her own husband, did it show us what he appeared as to her, I don't recall and if not wonder why?
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

[MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION] ~ did you have a favorite character?

Think this is winding down, topazlight & megvoh haven't posted reviews yet, but topaz hasn't log in again & meg might give this review a pass. Any one else want to ask others questions about the movie, thoughts?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Here now. I was away on a girls trip, I can give some direct thoughts on the movie since I watched it before I left for my away break and then come back and get more into details if you'd like?

This film really drew me into it, probably because it was so visual, also the topic, the artist theme and even the soundtrack it all went together to create a mood for the watcher. I think if you have lost someone you loved, and most of us here has, even if a grandparent or a relative and some of us have probably lost several loved ones like in the film. A son, a daughter, a pet, a husband and a wife. The movie places you into what it feels like to love another and lose them before their time and before you are ever ready to let go of them. You can feel it in core as you keep going through the different parts of the movie. That is credit to the writing, acting and visuals we are given as we move through life, afterlife, heaven and hell and then once more a chance at living our lives all over again, hoping for the best. On Chris's side their was a lot of optimism you have to have that to want to ever go back to living a real life again after experiencing so much pain and lost the first time. I couldn't once around on the merry-go-round of life would and will be more than plenty for me.

I did tear a little at several crucial scenes and reveals and I think those plot points were there to give such reaction to its viewer. You put yourself into the role of Chris, or his wife or his children.

I enjoyed this movie, it is a gem because of how it uses the mind of the artist to recreate a version of heaven, so beautiful and heartbreaking all in one.

I would give the movie a 9/10 even though some areas of the plot could have used more thought or time or detail what was given to us had tremendous value in my eyes and therefore I rate it highly.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading through on the question of a favorite character from this film it would most definitely be a tie between that of Albert and Chris for I felt they both carried the film and provided the heart of the film.

I wanted to add an image earlier off what breathe123 said at top of thread about images liked in the movie. here is one I loved, apologies if the image is large.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I read that the author of the book from which this movie was based off of said : What Dreams May Come is one of the most important books he has written because it has caused a lot of people to lose their fear of death.

I loved how almost all of the images they had in heaven was of art from their lives or from their mother, wife...that was a shared love and connection among all of them.

[MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] on what you said the author of the book said is a good thing to have come out of something creative you created. i never really had a fear of death, it is something you know is inevitable and you just accept it. i also think you have no knowledge of anything after you do die, no pain, no fear. i don't think you even see your loved ones, would be great if we did but I don't think that happens.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I don't fear death either ~ it's going to happen, you can't stop it only maybe delay it a bit with clean healthy living but even then you could be hit by a car or any unknown thing could take you out earlier than you'd think. Worrying about it will only drive you insane so live a good full life & live with no regrets. Thanks topazlight & guess this is the end of this review unless megvoh comes in & posts her review. I'll keep the thread open another month by giving a bump later on.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

[MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] -- Cuba and Robin's characters.

I don't fear death either -- came close a few times and sometimes feel like I am a cat with 9 lives rofl.

A lot of people fear death. I don't really either. It is an inevitability. Nothing, really, you can do about it. For me, to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't WANT to do anything about it even if I could. I can't imagine being made to suffer through this pointless existence any longer than is necessary. Death seems like a welcome rest. Until then, I will just do the best I can to enjoy my life despite the fate that has been dealt me. 80 or so years of life already sounds exhausting enough (if I make it that far). I can't imagine wishing for more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast