+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Club ~ Our Season 6 movie to review ~ What Dreams May Come!

Thumbs up Movie Club ~ Our Season 6 movie to review ~ What Dreams May Come!

Congrats to TheEvilJester & his movie for winning our voting polls.

What Dreams May Come ~

( the storyline on the movie site gives too much away so I won't post it here & let others either just watch & learn or if want read themselves as not to spoil for others)
    It's an hour & 53 mins & rates a ( 7 ) on IMDb.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION]

There you all go. Tagged & ready to check out & watch/review.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Congratulations, TheEvilJester.

I will try to watch and watch - then submit my review on your movie this weekend when I have a few free hours.

Cant believe I watched it. Seemed like a swwet movie from begining until they got to hell. Kinda uncomfotable. The end was happy but I didnt felt it cause movie needs some polishing at the end. They kinda travel to hell and they they close their eyes and get to heaven. So dont makes sense. If heaven is in their imagination why cant hell be too. Anyawy it was cool that they showed that suicides dont get to heaven cause I believe it too. I believe in heaven too. Thats why I dont smoke and drink and **** like a lot of my age young people. Cause I want to get in heaven and I know God is watching.

Definitely felt like sick movie, but Im not surprised cause it came from Jester, he have this kind of taste for movies.

Perhaps the hidden lesson in movie is about depression and mind losing, as well as about power of thinking. Also about not doing a suicide. But then again Robbin Williams did suicide despite this movie. That means someone will have to get him out of hell.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

grats, jester.

do we still have the 30 day watch rule? i'll definitely watch and review before that.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I should be able to watch this again this weekend so I can review. Technically, since I have seen it and own a copy I probably could already, but I'd like to do my review a little more fresh.

I may remember upon watching it again. So I could be wrong, pc, but I don't think they were in Hell. I think it was Purgatory. I may not be remembering that correctly, though. Frankly, these days I do not necessarily know whether I believe in the existence of a Heaven and a Hell anymore....

But, I've also never really been in favor of the idea that suicide victims go to Hell. I don't think people tend to commit suicide maliciously. In other words, it isn't like they do it out of lack of caring, it isn't like they do it with the intention to hurt people, it isn't like they do it to spite God or anything like that. They do it because they are in so much pain in life that they cannot see baring it any longer. I fail to see how it is fair for somebody to suffer so terribly in life.... and then be punished for that in the afterlife as well.

So, IF Heaven and Hell exist, I'd like to think there is some forgiveness possible even in a situation such as suicide. That is would be something more so treated on an individual basis and not be an offense considered immediately punishable with eternal damnation. But, it's not like any of us know whether or not there is a Heaven and Hell for sure, or what the rules are if they do exist, so it is only what each of us may or may not believe.

Congratulations ..TheEvilJester!

This movies concept is an interesting one to me and I should be able to put my review in within the next ten days... away this weekend but have a mid week day off the next week to get into the movie.

Wow ~ pc did you watch this previously or quickly watch it after I made the thread? Impressive if the latter that was quick going :]

I don't think people should go to hell if they commit suicide either ~ should be the character of the person how they lived their life not how it ended & if by their own hand, why would God be that cruel to punish someone wanting the pain & hurt to end. Haven't watched movie yet but will discuss more when I do.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Jester you remind me of my friend - he just need to hear something and then he will go into long debate about it. Really go into talking deep about anything.
    I believe that suicides dont go to heaven or hell. They just stay on earth as a ghosts telling people who loved them and cried for them after death - Im sorry, Om sorry, Im sorry...

Breathe I just came home from work and watched it straight away. You know on of those online movie sites full with adds. Just googled- "Jesters movie" online- and found it.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 09-02-17 at 01:51 AM.

In fairness, I don't necessarily think your friend and I are the same unless you are also misunderstanding your friend. LOL! A) There are plenty of topics that hold little or no interest to me at all, so I wouldn't talk about them in the slightest. I couldn't possibly give less of a crap about sports, for example. If a topic happens to interest me, I can talk about it at length (as you guys know by now).

B) I'd hardly call sharing my opinion a "debate." I am just sharing my opinion on the matter just the same as you shared yours. I don't necessarily think this is a topic you can really debate, per se, because it is really 100% opinion. It's not like anybody could back up their ideas with facts in this case, because it is really just down to one's individual beliefs, not facts. Personally, I can respect other people's opinions even when they differ from mine. If you can't that's not my problem. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that respecting somebody's opinion means I'm not allowed to also share mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    In fairness, I don't necessarily think your friend and I are the same unless you are also misunderstanding your friend. LOL! A) There are plenty of topics that hold little or no interest to me at all, so I wouldn't talk about them in the slightest. I couldn't possibly give less of a crap about sports, for example. If a topic happens to interest me, I can talk about it at length (as you guys know by now).

B) I'd hardly call sharing my opinion a "debate." I am just sharing my opinion on the matter just the same as you shared yours. I don't necessarily think this is a topic you can really debate, per se, because it is really 100% opinion. It's not like anybody could back up their ideas with facts in this case, because it is really just down to one's individual beliefs, not facts. Personally, I can respect other people's opinions even when they differ from mine. If you can't that's not my problem. Just don't make the mistake of thinking that respecting somebody's opinion means I'm not allowed to also share mine.
    See thats what Im talking about. You just need a topic, you cant keep it short, will write a lot about anything.

Grats, Jester -- just acknowledging I saw the thread for reviewing is up and when I get the time to watch and write a review I will immediately post it in here.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Oh, movie is picked and up! Congratulations to TheEvilJester and sorry I wasn't on to do a second vote.
    I read about the movie and is about death so I might be posting my review on the closer to side of the thirty day time limit, if ok? Bit sensitive, how will I take this movie, TheEvilJester? I like Robin Williams though so hopefully will enjoy the acting and watch of this.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

PC, if you have a problem with it, then don't read my posts. I enjoy a good discussion. If a topic DOESN'T interest me, I generally just won't discuss it. If a topic DOES, I have the ability to discuss it at length. That's why you generally don't see very short messages from me. If only have very little to say on a topic that is often because it doesn't interest me enough to say it anyway. If a topic does interest me, I can often go on and on about it. I enjoy that. You don't? That's your loss. But, to each their own. If my lengthy discussions are too long for you, you are perfectly welcome to just skip them.

Review time!

First off, [MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION]

I think I'd probably say you may want to skip this movie at least for now. That is up to you, though. Not that it is exactly related, but just the overall topic maybe. Sorry about that.

I watched this movie again this past weekend. I think I was maybe getting some of the minor details mixed up with another movie. For some reason, I thought he was having to go to Purgatory, not Hell. But, it was Hell after all.

Anyway, this movie (based on a book, by the way) does explore a very interesting, and very sensitive subject. Death and the after life. As I tend to, I will keep my review relatively short and not very specific. I'll discuss more as more and more people join.

I found this movie to be very interesting. I always love seeing different ideas of what people may think could be the after life. I have always loved the idea that Heaven can be a very unique and personal experience. The idea that Heaven can be different for different people. I love that because that generic idea of Heaven people often have, floating around puffy white clouds, wearing all white, and being all cheery and pure.... Yeah, that sounds closer to Hell for me personally than Heaven. LOL!

So, I like the idea that not everybody's Heaven is exactly the same because not everybody is exactly the same. I loved the idea that Christy was such a fan of art that he was quite literally painting his own Heaven as he went along.

I loved, also, the idea that everything was so unique and personal in the experience. You weren't necessarily just expected to retain the form you did in life. As we find out later in the movie. For that matter, you didn't even necessarily have to see a body if you didn't want.

I very much identified with Christy, in particular with how he reacted after what happened with his wife. I had forgotten just how much she went through since I hadn't seen this movie in a while. It only further reinforces my feelings on this particular topic. I have never been in favor of the idea that suicide victims are/should be condemned to Hell if Hell does exist. This is a great example of why. How could anybody vilify her for what she did? How much more could one poor human being be made to suffer in their life? She lost BOTH her children to a horrible accident. How can you expect a parent to get through something like that?

But, she got through it and she moved on as best anybody could. That was, largely in part, due to her loving husband. He was a big part of what helped her to continue on as best she could. .....Then he is taken from her as well? I don't see how anybody could possibly NOT understand how that could drive somebody to the brink, and possibly past it as it did this character. Hasn't she suffered enough in her life? Why does she deserve to suffer as well in the after life? If anything, somebody like that deserves so much more in the after life. They deserve a happy after life even more so than others.

So, I cannot for a second agree with the idea that she deserved the fate that befell her simply because she took her own life. I agreed with the way Christy reacted to that situation. I'd have felt the same way in his shoes. How DARE anybody judge her for being unable to take that much pain anymore.

I think one thing I also really loved about this movie was the idea that it actually appreciated many different views on life/the after life. So many different people/religions have different views on Heaven/Hell/life after death. I loved the idea that they were actually sort of all right in their own way. For example, you can choose to stay in Heaven once you reach there, or you can choose reincarnation.

If there truly is a Heaven and Hell, I find it highly unlikely that any one religion got it exactly right. I think it more likely is a mixture of ideas. So, I liked that the different ideas sort of converged in this picture of what Heaven could be like if it were real. One thing I will say about the ending....

SPOILER SO DON'T READ UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN THE MOVIE...

I kinda thought it was crazy they decided to be reborn. After all they went through, and after all he went through to get her back..... Why in the heck would the risk that? LOL! What if they never found each other this time? What if they went back only to suffer through the same kind of horrible fate again? Or even worse? I feel like they finally found each other and were able to reach the afterlife together.... why not just be happy with that? I mean, I can certainly understand their point of view on that... I'm just saying. If it was me, then I wouldn't risk that. Spending eternity with the love of my life sounds like the end goal. Why risk that if I'd finally achieved that? It's something I'll never have anyway. I'll be facing a lifetime alone and if there IS an after life, I'll be alone there too. But, if that ever were to change, I could never risk that, not for a second. But then, that's me.

Can't wait to see what everybody else thought of the movie. It's.... unusual to be sure, but I thought a very touching movie.

Avoids looking at Jester's post since I am watching this tomorrow & want to discover it as I watch. Will reply to your post after I type mine out, so won't be avoiding too long hehehe.

[MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION] ~ Yes, It is 30 days from time thread goes up, I think.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

My review was RELATIVELY spoiler free other than where I specifically called out spoilers BEFORE spoiling them....

But, I would definitely recommend you watch first and ready my giant novel sized review later. LOL!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast