+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What movie would you like to win Best Picture?

I think overall even Arrival is a better picture than La La Land, for story, acting and what its message is but the other is a musical and stars two very popular actors that the Academy most likely want to reward because of their singing and dancing haha the storyline wasn't that original.

I agree, dollhouse. I'd prefer Arrival to win best picture this year. 1. Was a more evolved movie, 2. better acting and 3. story and lets not forgot the incredible 4.Amy Adams and I feel it was just as visual as La La Land only not as colorful.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

Yeah -- true on what Jester said. But think if they actually did nom movies that the majority enjoyed the viewership and numbers on that award show would be thru the roof and they know it and since it is all about making money and business I don't get why they always go the artsy way of things.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

I mean, to some degree I can respect it. Again, like I said, I don't think movies like Deadpool are a masterpiece of art, like something we'd hold in high regard as being the perfect example of the art of cinema. You wouldn't hold something like that up in the same light as, for example, the Mona Lisa or a Picasso or something like that. So, "best picture" tend to go for movies that ARE art in their own way. Or at least ones that the Academy thinks are art.

....But..... that doesn't mean other stuff doesn't deserve some respect too. So, I think there should be categories for stuff like "Best Blockbuster of the Year" or something like that. That category would be for stuff like Deadpool, The Avengers, the Batman movies, Terminator movies. Stuff like that. Stuff that isn't necessarily meant to be ART, per se, but is a ton of fun. Not to mention the artsy nature of the Academy Awards also then tends to shun comedy movies basically entirely..... because a lot of comedy movies are just meant to be good stupid fun. Sometimes comedies are meant to be funny and heart warming (like a lot of Robin Williams stuff), but sometimes they are just meant to be fun and funny. I think there is a place for movies that are just fun. Hell, I tend to enjoy those kind of movies more anyway.

It's on this Sunday... I am sure it will be as predictable as always... Jimmy Kimmel is hosting so hoping for some laughs at least and hope he keeps the damn Trump jokes to a limited to low amount. I want to hear about movies not politics and GD Trump that award show...no so more Streep rants on him. Geesh lol

i usually watch the comedian intro to the show and the first couple of good awards then i tune out until the end when they give out the last of the big awards of best director and best picture.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Bill Paxton died at only 61 yo... I really liked that actor, I hope they are able to put him into the InMemoriam during the show tonight..he did some good movies. Might watch a few in the coming weeks, there were so many of his I enjoyed.

LOL! LOL! LOL! On the best picture mess up LOL! The envelope Mr. Beatty held said actress in a leading role, not best picture and supposedly Emma Stone said she had her best actress envelope with her and her award the whole time and there was a backstage photo of her with DiCaprio holding both. So where did the second best actress envelope with her name inside and La la land on it come from?
    Moonlight winning was off, should have been Arrival. Hidden Figures and Lion were completely shut out. Hope a lot of people get fired off that HUGE! mistake for best picture, how embarrassing. Also Casey Affleck winning I didn't agree with either.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

I was hearing people talking about it. I didn't watch. Did they actually announce the wrong movie as the winner..... such to the point that the people from the wrong movie actually came up and were in the middle of their acceptance speech before the mess-up was revealed? That is what I heard, but not sure if that is true.

If so, that is just beyond unacceptable. How in the Hell could they even let something like that happen? Even if somebody messed up and read the wrong title, wouldn't there be somebody in the back who knows and could instantly call an audible? I just cannot imagine how horrible that must have been for the people representing the movie that thought they won.... only to find out they didn't. That is awful.

Yes, they did. It was so pathetic to watch, one of the PWH men took blame for it. He handed Mr. Beatty a duplicate best Actress envelope instead of the Best Picture one. His job is to hand the right envelope and he couldn't even manage that. He should be fired. The movie that won Best Picture ( I found it boring ) didn't even get the right amount of time to give their acceptance speeches because of the mix up and the La La Land people already being in mid thank you.

I never saw the Moonlight movie but I did laugh at the horrendous mistake. Incompetence at its best right there
    The ceremony was so boring and not really funny, hope that guy never hosts it again.

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

that whole thing was a massive fail rofl i found it boring too and didn't really care about any of the winners or movies outside of hacksaw ridge. another fail was kimmels tourist skit about tour bus people being shocked to be at the oscars, remember gary? the guy kissing all the female stars hands, and saying he didn't want to talk to any white celebrities ( was ignoring when asked) well that dude is a convicted felon. way to vet people, kimmel. gary was released from prison 3 days previous to his oscar debut.

here's a link to his story. another fail imo
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chicagoinc/ct-gary-from-chicago-oscars-20170228-story.html
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

It was a horrible show. I think the funniest guy to do these award shows is Billy Crystal or Ricky Gervais and that's it.

ROFL at what Exeter said above. Freaking hilarious bet Nicole Kidman has since scrubbed her hand raw LMAO
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Hahahaha @ the above comment. Wouldn't take much scrubbing since she is so fair skinned, bloody by scrub 3.

I didn't enjoy the Oscars program either. It was almost like the host was just hosting his nightly tv show using the same skits he uses on that program. There was no fun intro like Billy Crystal and others would provide us with.

The winners outside of Viola Davis was not that inspiring and the choice and horrible mishap of the Best Picture was shocking and disappointing all rolled into one. I hope he never hosts again and I hope they removed that accountant and even the accounting house form ever working for the Oscars again in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast