+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Valentine's Day? Yay or Nay?

Valentine's Day? Yay or Nay?

Do you like to celebrate Valentine's Day? Are you romantic or not so romantic? Do you dread the day or get excited about it? I'm curious to know what other people think about it and to see the variety in people's responses.

If you DO celebrate Valentine's Day, how do you choose to do it? What will you and your SO do to celebrate?

If you DON'T celebrate Valentine's Day, why not?
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Well, frankly, it has never really been an option. I've never really been ABLE to celebrate it because I am always alone.

Though, while I was with my ex, we did celebrate it even though we both kind of felt the same way about it. I've always sort of felt like Valentine's Day is so overrated. It feels like a completely invented holiday just to make people spend more money. If you love somebody, you shouldn't need one specific day out of the year to show it, you should show it all the time. In addition to that, you already have your anniversary as well as each other's birthdays to show it anyway. So, Valentine's Day always felt superfluous to me even when I DID have a relationship. It feels like another excuse to HAVE to spend money even when sometimes you are just barely making ends meet.

....And all of that is coming from a HUGE romantic.

It's just, I've always seen how Valentine's Day seems to cause more stress than it does any good. All that said.... even though I don't necessarily agree with the holiday.... if I had somebody I would still go out of my way to make it special. I may think the holiday has been made into an over-commercialized joke, but if I had a special gal in my life, she doesn't deserve to be ignored just because maybe I don't like the holiday. So, I'd go all out and make it special.

I actually kind of think this year maybe I should do something special for me. I've never really been good to myself for pretty much my whole life. I'm finally learning to accept my fate, and have actually been REALLY happy lately just within myself. So, I think maybe I should ask me to be my own Valentine. LOL! I'm just a little nervous. I hope I'll say yes.

I LOVE that you want to celebrate Valentine's Day with yourself. I think that's a fantastic idea and you should do it for sure!

I agree Valentine's Day is a money grab. I also agree it's nice to enjoy the day with your partner and make it a bit more special than a regular day, but make sure your SO feels loved on regular days.

I invited my BF over for dinner. I make him dinner a lot but I'm doing a slightly more special dinner tonight:

Salmon with lemon & dill; spinach and kale salad with apples and rosemary dressing; scalloped potatoes; carrots and broccoli, roasted with garlic and Parmesan. And mint chocolate ice cream (both our favorite flavour) and chocolate covered strawberries. I bought our favorite wine and I'm going to write him a nice letter because I think cards are a waste of money and I also forgot to get one lol.

I almost wish I was single so I could celebrate Valentine's Day alone and treat myself. Let us know what you decided to do!

This is my first Valentine day when Im not completly single. Now I know a girl who I seen two times. I have a gift for her - big white soft bear.
    We wont meet today because Im working today and I like to meet only once a week. But she expressed wish go to the movies this weekend so will give her bear then. So yeah like always meeting on weekend.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Not doing anything romantic because I do not have a romantic partner. Will go out to dinner and a movie and maybe after drinks with 3 single gf's and celebrate singledom lol

I like the day when involved and Yes I am romantic.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

Yeah, I've just never really been a fan of the holiday whether or not I'm in a relationship. In the past, when I've not been in a relationship, it just feels like a slap in the face/reminder that I'll always be alone. In the past when I have been in a relationship, it just feels like another holiday where I have to spend money after Christmas wasn't too long ago, and I have to come up with something special every single time. It just seems like unneeded stress and pressure when, as a huge romantic, I tend to do romantic stuff for my gal periodically, not just on one special day.

Anyways, to be honest nothing really came to mind for a way to celebrate with myself. Though, to be honest, just being happy is celebration enough. For the first time in my life, I'm spending Valentine's Day single......but happy with that situation. I've spent it single and miserably lonely. I've spent it in a mistake of relationship deluded into thinking it was a good relationship. I've spent it in a mistake of a relationship starting to realize it was a mistake of a relationship.

I've never spent it ACTUALLY happy.... until today. So, even though I can't really think of anything special to mark the occasion, I am happy enough just feeling happy in accepting that love isn't likely meant for me. And.... who knows? Maybe some day life will find a way to prove me wrong in that regard. I'm not closing myself off to the possibility, I'm just done feeling empty because of it. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "love" but I think I'm pretty damn swell, and that's good enough for me.

Yes ~ I like to celebrate Vday & both myself and my Bf are romantics.

We went out to eat at my choice of restaurant this year ~ last year we cooked a gourmet meal together. Then we went to a lounge bar with other couples to listen to a friends brothers band play & drink some.

We bought each other cards, and I got flowers from him and exchanged small gifts. < Nothing fancy just symbolic stuff we each like. No chocolates hehehe
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

This year I had reeeeeally crazy St.Valentines Day! We are travelling with my husband in St.Petersburg, and usually we spend this day in the restaurant, you know like pathetic dinner with flowers, champagne.. And I was sure, that we were on the way to the one of the most famous restaurants of St.Petersburg, when it turned out that my husband has picked more interesting place for the evening..Can you imagine, that my beloved husband invited me to the lounge bar with real erotic show??? which, btw, is placed next to our hotel,Zavistbar..Well, we went into it, had some cocktailes and watched erotic show. I should have seen my husband's face))) but what is interesting – i liked this show as much as he did!) Of course, i didn't ket him to order private dance, but i was so turned on that couldn't stand it and he was lucky to get a lap dance from me) In sum, we went aaaall out) still can't recover from it)

i usually do something small
    take her to dinner - or cook something myself
    buy flowers - give a massage
    the like.
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.