+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club Season 7 - Review thread - City Slickers

apologies, jester and movie peeps. life became difficult on several areas here and had to deal with putting out all the fires that followed and had no time at all to jump online. looks like most have yet to give their reviews as well? did the site go down again?

I really liked this movie being i am a big billy crystal fan, of his work on snl, movies, hosting. just comes off a great guy with a funny truth pov that i can relate to. this movie being no different to how crystal seems to be in his real life, a good family man, friend and funny life outlook and thoughts. i also liked his relationship with his wife and that she encouraged him to go find his happy place even if she got excluded from it and his best friends got included.

i like the others who said before wished curly's character lasted the whole film not snuffed out in middle of it because their chemistry was what made the movie for me. if i recall palance won an oscar for his role in this movie and deserved it because he sort of became the real star, of it if you think about it, he is who you recall fondly the most out of all the characters.

i like feel good movies for the exact reason i liked this movie it lets you escape your own miserable life, climb into anothers and watch them come out on top of it all and maybe find a way to do the same in your own life.

8/10.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

No need for apologies. I am sure we can all understand that. Hell, I've had plenty of BS going on in my life as it is. For me, this website just happens to be one of my "pass-times" as I call it. I come here when I have a few moments to take a break and get my mind off of stuff. Otherwise I'd probably be right there with you.

Anyway, glad this movie was able to offer you exactly what I was hoping we could all get out of this round. A little escapist entertainment to be able to take your mind off of your troubles even if just for a short time.

P.S.

I hope you've been able to put out all the fires, so to speak.

I'm late to this but as long as the discussion continues the thread stays open and then we all can get our reviews in. I will watch and review City Slickers this weekend and hopefully if internet and this forum allows me ( don't trust it because usually doesn't) participate with others in chatting about the movie together. I went to load the trailer to get an idea of about the movie and it looks good, sort of like a buddy movie? western? tired of your life rut? The only actor I recognized was Billy Crystal.

I think you summed it up rather well and you haven't even watched it yet. It is basically a buddy comedy meets Western with a life in a rut sort of theme. Hard to explain how that makes sense, but you will see.

I don't get why [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] didn't like this one? Guys movie, feel good, funny has lots of good things to get, only is a bit dated but still held up to watching in 2017. Kinder gentler action type of movie.

I like buddy movie, I think of Bridesmaids as a buddy movie in a way and Sisterhood of the travelling pants :] I think friendship movies are wonderful & lets you pull a good message out of them too.

Curly & the calf were my faves. Loved the end when he saved the lil calf & took him home, aw.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Thought I'd give this thread another post since others aren't on posting in it yet & I'll be gone next week.

15 fun facts about City Slickers.

1 ~ 1. JACK PALANCE WAS BILLY CRYSTAL’S ORIGINAL CHOICE TO PLAY CURLY.
    When Crystal first came up with the seed of the idea for City Slickers, he immediately thought of Jack Palance as the crusty bad guy with the heart of gold. He thought of him because the first movie he had ever seen was the 1953 movie Shane, where Palance played the bad guy. The actor left a lasting impression on Crystal, who was seven years old at the time of his first movie-going experience. Because his father produced jazz concerts, Billy saw Shane seated on Billie Holiday’s lap.

2. CRYSTAL GOT THE IDEA FOR THE MOVIE WATCHING A SHOW ABOUT FANTASY VACATIONS.
    Crystal was at home watching TV when he stumbled upon a show about a group of middle-aged friends raving about their trip to a scuba diving resort, and how it changed them. Shortly thereafter he plotted out the movie and handed off screenwriting duties to Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel.

3. GANZ AND MANDEL DID ALL OF THEIR RESEARCH VIA TELEPHONE.
    While producers wanted the Oscar-nominated screenwriters—who have written or co-written nearly 20 produced feature screenplays together, including Splash, Parenthood, and A League of Their Own—to go out to Montana to look into cattle drives, they wrote the first draft of the script first, then called the person who ran the cattle drive there to ask if what they had written could conceivably happen. The person said yes, and that was enough for the writers.

4. RICK MORANIS WAS SET TO PLAY PHIL.
    Daniel Stern was a last-minute replacement for Moranis, who had to drop out after his wife was diagnosed with liver cancer. (She passed away the following year.)

5. CHARLES BRONSON WAS ANGRY OVER BEING ASKED TO PLAY CURLY.
    Jack Palance initially turned down the role of Curly, as he was committed to another project. So Crystal offered the part to Charles Bronson, who was not pleased. He cursed Crystal out because "I'm dead on page 64!" Palance, of course, ended up taking the role (and the rest is history).

6. PALANCE GOT INTO AN ARGUMENT WITH THE DIRECTOR ON THE FIRST DAY OF SHOOTING.
    The veteran actor yelled at Ron Underwood over his first direction, but everything went smoothly after that. When Crystal asked what had happened, Palance explained that he always gets nervous on his first day of shooting. Sure enough, Tim Burton told a similar story about Palance snapping at him on his first day of shooting on Batman over how he was told to walk out of a bathroom, with Burton admitting that the incident scared him "to death—I literally saw white and left my body.”

- - - Updated - - -

7. PALANCE READ POETRY DURING THE ACTORS' DOWNTIME.
    It was his own work. Daniel Stern remembers listening to him for half an hour. Palance also inspired Stern to begin sculpting again.

8. DANIEL STERN BOUGHT HIS OWN CATTLE RANCH.
    Stern enjoyed the City Slickers experience so much that he bought a 500-acre cattle ranch. "I loved the life so much that I kind of bought into it," Stern told The A.V. Club. "I have 70 herd of cattle myself now, and horses and tractors and ATVs. I’ve got my own small cattle operation. That’s how much I was inspired by that movie. I bought into the whole thing." Stern wasn't the only one inspired by the film; the movie led to a boom in the dude ranch business in 1991.

9. THE FILM MARKED JAKE GYLLENHAAL’S FILM DEBUT.

Jake Gyllenhaal was just 10 years old when he was cast as Crystal’s son, Danny Robbins. Crystal remembered Gyllenhaal singing showtunes from South Pacific on the set.

10. BRUNO KIRBY WAS ALLERGIC TO HORSES.
    Whenever Kirby was facing a day of shooting with a horse, he took an injection of allergy medication.

11. CRYSTAL TOOK HIS HORSE HOME WITH HIM.
    Crystal and his horse, Beechnut, hit it off on the New Mexico set. So much so that Crystal's agent bought Beechnut for Crystal as a gift once production wrapped. The horse lived to be 27 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

12. THE DIRECTOR WAS NEVER HAPPY WITH HOW THE RANCH LOOKED.
    Underwood had a very specific vision of what he wanted the ranch in the film to look like, but never managed to achieve it. So he and his crew made matte paintings of mountains and scenery and combined it with footage from a Colorado ranch.

13. MITCH ROBBINS WAS A METS FAN BECAUSE THE YANKEES WOULDN'T PLAY BALL.
    Though Crystal is well-known to be a diehard Yankees fan, his character was a Mets fan in the movie because the latter team had been more accommodating over the years. First, the Yankees declined Crystal’s request to hold a promotional day at Yankee Stadium for Comic Relief; the Mets, on the other hand, were happy to host it. On the first day of shooting in Spain (for the Running of the Bulls segment), the Mets agreed to waive the $40,000 licensing fee; the Yankees did not.

14. MITCH’S YANKEES STORY ABOUT MICKEY MANTLE WAS FROM CRYSTAL’S LIFE.
    Even though he's a Mets fan, Mitch’s story about his “best day” was of going to Yankee Stadium and getting Mickey Mantle to sign his program—which is a tale from Crystal’s own life. Another true story Crystal mined for the film is his mother calling him every year on his birthday at the time he was born to tell the story of his birth.

15. NORMAN THE CALF WAS ALREADY A COUPLE OF DAYS OLD WHEN HE WAS "BORN."
    Norman was bathed in ”realistic bloody jelly” and taken out of a birth canal constructed by special effects in order to shoot the scene in which Crystal "makes a cow." Norman (which is indeed his real name) played a steer, a female cow, and a bull throughout his show business career, making up to $750 a day.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    I don't get why [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] didn't like this one? Guys movie, feel good, funny has lots of good things to get, only is a bit dated but still held up to watching in 2017. Kinder gentler action type of movie.

I like buddy movie, I think of Bridesmaids as a buddy movie in a way and Sisterhood of the travelling pants :] I think friendship movies are wonderful & lets you pull a good message out of them too.

Curly & the calf were my faves. Loved the end when he saved the lil calf & took him home, aw.
    I just couldnt stand the talking.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I think for once I will just chat about my thoughts on the movie instead of detailing a review just so I can contribute and get on with discussing with others.

I liked the movie, Crystal's character whinged a bit for what seemed like a great life he had, family, friends and job most people don't even get a 1/3 of what his character had in the movie and complain much less. Didn't like two characters one of his friends wife, the one who got cheated on with a teenage girl from her fathers store and one of his friends ( I forgot characters names) but the one who dated the young ones. But, he grew in favor with me as the movie continued. I like adventure style movies where you take average joe's and put them in out of the ordinary situations, ( running with the bulls scene was well done) and seem how well or how badly they cope. For the most part they coped very well, Crystal's improvement was enhanced for movie story telling, like another poster had mentioned. Curly ( best character ) dies and all of a sudden I believe it was Mitch becomes a seasoned cowhand, cowboy? That was a bit much to believe. But, he is the star of the movie and that is who is always designed to " save the day" in the movie and so he did.

The women in the movie had very little if nothing to do in this film, other than be harpies, cheats, someone to flirt with, adore them. But, it is a guys buddy flick which I still was able to enjoy plenty because it carried itself with heart and humor and they weren't perfect none of the characters ( really liked the ben & jerry type guys) and humor they brought as well.

I like how the movie demonstrates perfectly how doing something to help yourself feel better about your life and self can change everything for you, perspective is glorious as are good friends. It was what he needed to switch the lows he was having into highs. No matter what age you are late teens, late twenties, 30's , 40's or 50's and beyond it works the same.

Billy Crystal is such a likable person and his movie personas follow through similarly that you feel good watching what he is getting up to. Least it did for me. Wonder what the sequel was like, anyone watch it? As good, or let down like most sequels are? The scenery was nice in the film too, made you feel like you were out on the range with them. It was a good little movie. 8/10

Have some time to add another reply and pose some questions. Like I said above on not so favored characters, which were the rest of your least favorite character(s)? and did you have a favorite quote, one liner or specific scene?

I like this quote had to go google to get the wording exact:

Curly: Do you know what the secret of life is?
    [holds up one finger]
    Curly: This.
    Mitch: Your finger?
    Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don't mean shit.
    Mitch: But, what is the "one thing?"
    Curly: [smiles] That's what *you* have to find out.

Thanks for those facts, breathe! Too cool.

Topaz. I have seen the sequel many times and actually own both movies. I love the sequel almost as much. Of course, as you'd expect, it isn't AS good. But I still think it was good for what it was. It was a sequel to a goofy buddy comedy, so you obviously shouldn't expect it to be likely to surpass the original.

Believe it or not, Palance is back for the sequel. ;-) I won't explain how that happens. Don't want to spoil anything.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] thanks, not all of the fires but over half of them. some are major f ups by some of my family and because i am the responsible it falls on me to clean it up. time consuming and stressful for me. the movie was a nice escape to watch, and laugh, and enjoy. i've never watched the second city slickers, maybe i should for fun.
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] i liked the comment curly made to mitch - i crap bigger than you.
    [MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] this is a interesting fact :

5. CHARLES BRONSON WAS ANGRY OVER BEING ASKED TO PLAY CURLY.
    Jack Palance initially turned down the role of Curly, as he was committed to another project. So Crystal offered the part to Charles Bronson, who was not pleased. He cursed Crystal out because "I'm dead on page 64!" Palance, of course, ended up taking the role (and the rest is history).

rofl at bronson because his ego got in the way, palance's didn't and palance goes on and wins the oscar for that performance.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Hi all... Been awhile. Was to post a review quite a time ago but was in the process of buying a first home and cancelled internet and was busy... packing up and unpacking.. moving, and dealing with all the real estate issues that arise...we are finally moved in, and also I am engaged. Woo hoo. So with us living together now..less time to log on and post, since I post only from home so decided to get up early before brunch today and get myself to posting

I watched this awhile ago but didn't have time to post about it. Did I enjoy the flick...Yep. Kept my interest through out, gave me a few laughs, a few real heartfelt moments too, which was surprising, IDK why but it got me in the feels several times. Anyone else? I watched with my guy and it was like Curly is da man! Big fan of that character haha.... I still was all in for Mitch tho. Even tho he was a whiner to the highest degree at the start of the flick. I thought...come on, dude! Your life is great, why so miserable. His friends had their life dramas too. They all needed that ranch experience IMO.

We laughed at trying to macho sexy up Billy Crystal haha ...he just isn't, I think HE wanted that scene for himself for sure! haha Not sure purpose of Supergirl ( lol! Jester might get that reference...) something purdy for the boys to look at, go after? Boy, Jake Gyllennhaal was YOUNG in this. Loved Mitch's wife, one of my favorite characters even though we didn't explore her as much as we could have in the movie. Supportive, and loving.

I'd rate this a seven out ten...

Hope I can get back on to discuss before it gets the hammered down lock.

OT :

congrats on the new home and the engagement, dollhouse.

yeah, mitch's wife was the polar opposite of phil's wife.

- - - Updated - - -

thought i'd ask a question in here too since it was my movie picked.

if you could go on an adventure with your friends where would you go and what would you do? [MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] [MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION] [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION] [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION] [MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION]

i'd go to either japan or dubai. with a few friends and two family members, explore, ride camels in dubai lmao, see how the rich live. both i would consider one in a lifetime trips, too expensive to ever go twice. try new foods too, see different cultures.
    William Blake

Congratulations, dollhouse ~ yay for you guys! ((hugs))

[MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION] ~ I'd pick Greece with my BF again, and his & my best friends & their partners. Just, swim, tan, eat wonderful food, sight see, cliff dive and lounge and love life for a whole month if we could.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Dude! That's awesome, dollhouse. Congratulations on both of your big news items! By that I mean learning how to teach dogs to tap dance and inventing a new kind of super inexpensive fuel for cars. LOL! I'm kidding. Of course I mean the new house and your engagement! Congrats! You rock!

P.S.

If you do learn to teach dogs to tap dance, I want to see videos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast