+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie Club Season 7 - Review thread - City Slickers

Movie Club Season 7 - Review thread - City Slickers

As promised, since folks in general seemed fine with this selection, I am posting the review thread. This time around we did the teme of "Feel Good Movies." The selected movie was City Slickers. Come here to post your review and discuss after you have watched.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=79987]megvoh[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION]

I like watching movies I have never seen before so happy to get to watching this one ~ hope to see it this weekend & write my review up this Sunday ( fingers crossed as always!) Just letting you know I saw thread went up, Jester.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

cool and thanks theeviljester for picking my choice this round. i've seen city slickers before but to give a decent review i'll watch it again before submitting my review.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I've also seen it.... many times. I own it on DVD (or it might have been Bluray) as a matter of fact. I am going to watch it again soon so I can give my review. I probably have seen it enough that I COULD review without watching again.... but why not use an excuse to watch it again?

City Slickers 2 was also very good in my opinion, so if anybody is interested after watching the first, remember there is a sequel. Our review this time around is only about the first movie, of course, but just FYI.

This is up and running... good I'll watch this this weekend with my parents who are going to be visiting then, my dad likes Billy Crystal's humor so that will be a nice family movie night here Congrats, Exeter on your movie being picked. My review will go up early next week.

Got the notice -- grats, Exeter and I think way back I've watched this but I'll do a refresher and review before the end of the time given.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

I watched it again this weekend. I've loved this movie since I was a wee little lad and have seen it many times. Even so, I wanted to watch it again anyway right before reviewing just so it was fresh. In my personal view, this movie still holds up today. I enjoy it just as much as an adult. Maybe even more. I will preface this to say that you can't expect from this a gripping, heart-wrenching, Oscar worthy type of movie. If you were going into this movie expecting that, you were going into the wrong movie. This is not intended to be that. It's a Billy Crystal movie, so if you are familiar with him, you'd know just what to expect.

And this movie delivers just that. I personally LOVE this movie. Billy Crystal plays a very similar character to what he often plays when he is in the lead role. Your average every-man, but one with a goofy and sarcastic sense of humor. A guy feeling the weight of the world, and of life itself, on his shoulders and beginning to feel too weighed down by it all. A guy evaluating his life and wondering what it is all worth. He even, himself, equates it to feeling like he is drowning.

I think most of us can relate to feeling like that at some point in our lives. So, that makes it easy to feel for Mitch. But, it's not even just Mitch. There's also his best friend in the equally lost and feeling hopeless Phil. Phil feels trapped in a loveless marriage with an overbearing father-in-law stuck working for said father-in-law so that no aspect of his life feels like his anymore. Honestly, I couldn't decide who I relate to more between the two of them. Though my story is very different from his, I still relate to Phil very much for my past, once feeling trapped in a marriage that was no longer working (and perhaps never had). But, in many ways me as I am now, I related a lot to Mitch.... feeling lost in my present life and not knowing where it is going or what is the point.

The big difference is at least Mitch had a loving wife and a family. People he loved and cared for and who, in turn, loved and cared for him. I have nobody and never will. So, I kind of feel like Mitch only without a partner. Though, I will say, I LOVE my job, so I don't suffer the same problems in my work life Mitch did.

Even Ed was a great character. He started off seeming like a bit of a womanizer, often jumping from girlfriend to girlfriend, and often much younger than he was. We didn't actually SEE any of that, but they talked about it a lot. So, at first that didn't necessarily make him sound like such a great guy. But, we later learn more about him and get a better understanding of why he was like that.... and the fact that he didn't really WANT to be like that. When we leave the characters, he has perhaps grown the most of all, as he is ready to settle down with one woman and start a family. Though, all three of our main characters end the movie having grown quite a bit. It's just for Mitch and Phil that is more so in way that remain to be seen in the future. For Ed the changes are somewhat more immediate.

I can't even begin to explain how much I love the character of Curly. The gruff, tough, but deep down caring and decent trail boss. On the one hand, a tough bad @$$ man's man that all guys dream of being... yet he manages to also do so without being an A-hole. He's still a caring and decent character. He becomes good friends with Mitch even though the two of them, on the surface at least, could not possibly be any different. Curly may actually be my favorite character in this movie.

The supporting cast in this also does a great job. There are so many memorable characters and I can't think of one single character I dislike.... except for the ones I dislike in the way the movie intends for us to dislike them. In other words, the only characters I hate, I hate them because I'm supposed to hate them, not because I find them annoying or unnecessary.

I love this movie now just as much as I always have. The only thing I can say that kind of disappointed me is really more internal to myself. It's that we chose this specifically as a "feel good movie." I do, 100% feel it fits that bill perfectly.... it's just for me it kind of had the opposite effect this time. It kind of bummed me out a little bit because it caused me to reflect on my own life and how it is never going to matter. At the end of the movie, Mitch found that his "one thing" is the love of his wife and family. I have none of that, and know I never will. At the end of the movie, Phil has had to start his whole life over, but faces it with renewed hope that maybe he can finally find the happiness he once thought he'd have in his mistake of a marriage and the happiness he'd grown to accept he'd never have because of said marriage. I can relate to that very well.... but a few years back in my life when I first got out of my own mistake of a marriage. Now, I've come back to reality to realize there is no hope for me. At least not in the way I wanted it. My only hope now is to accept that I'll be alone and learn to be happy anyway. I'm working on that. Finally, at the end of the movie Ed is now ready to settle down, feels he has found exactly the woman with whom he wants to do that, and is ready to start working towards having it all. A feeling I know I will never have.

So, this movie kind of had the exact opposite effect on me.... but I do still love this movie with every fiber of my being. I'll settle into my fate soon enough and accept it. So, in the not too distant future, were I to watch this movie again, it probably wouldn't have that same effect on me. But, what is definitely true is that I will always love this movie. I also hate to sound so negative. Despite everything I have been through in life, despite how low I get at times, the drive to dig myself out of any given rut has never and will never die. So, I don't mean to sound so negative. I WILL get out of this crummy time in my life. Hell... to be honest, I'm already WELL on my way. It's just, this time it feels like I'm finally doing so accepting that I will always be alone rather than trying to fight that fact.

Anyway, I don't want to end on that kind of a note. So, back to the movie. I have always loved this movie and that love only grows now as an adult. Both this movie, and its sequel, are ones that make me happy just to watch them. I hope everybody else enjoyed this movie as well, because it is one that has always brought me joy. It's silly, it's stupid, but in the perfect and intentional kind of way that I just love.

I watched it but didn't write my review yet, I enjoyed it, was sweet, funny and made me laugh... parents stayed much longer than they were supposed to stay. Also, why didn't one of you who were on posting bump topaz's main movie thread she created when she created this movie club for her, I see it is locked now. Hope she can somehow get that re opened, sucks!

I keep forgetting that threads get locked. That is kind of stupid. I don't see the point of locking a thread no matter how long it is inactive. Maybe it is to avoid people posting on threads that stopped being active a long time ago, but I don't really see why that matters. If anybody is still interested to discuss again they should feel free to do so. If nobody is because it is such an old topic, then it would just disappear again.

Anyway, I don't really see why we need the original thread to be continually bumped anyway. At this point we are into the 7th season. I think anybody who participates knows how it works by now. Anybody new who may want to join can feel free just to ask for details.

I watched & made all my movie notes, I will in abit today ( very soon) post my notes put into a normally written review & can be around to finally discuss this movie ~Just got back, catching up today.
    It was a great movie & kept a smile on my face.

I think she wanted it for her own notes & updates & for people to post if not being around like megvoh could have put her last review on there if she wanted too & now no place for her to add it because all threads are locked ~ like if the movie season thread gets locked they can post on the main thread. I liked using the main thread. This site is bullshit. I always tried to bump upcoming on to the lock threads & would have bumped that one if I'd been online & saw. I can send a PM to admin, but haven't heard off them for a year or more so not sure it will get opened again.

- - - Updated - - -

PM has been sent with attached thread link.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Hehe this movie was cute/silly/funny/dramatic & all that good stuff. A nice story of finding what makes you happy & friendship & stepping out of your small world.

I'd NEVER run with the bulls, that is scary & crazy to even attempt. The Animated opening credits was nice. LOL "don't sew up anything that is supposed to remain open" I laughed.

Do guys actually go on these kinds of adventure trips? I've never gone on this type of thing with my gf's. Danger isn't fun when paying for a trip away. When his mom said he was 39 I was like what the ~~~ I thought he had to be 45, anyone else? I like to complain on my bday too, its tradition hehe my siblings do it too, learned off mom & dad.
    HEHE his timeline of life to his sons school class. OMG! the looks on kids face. he is so down about his life but he has a nice wife, nice place to live, good friends, parents who love him, a job ( he may not enjoy but has a job) but is so down on his life.

I thought " driving cattle" was on a truck to when they told him, lol. How embarrassing that cheating friends mistress fight at his bday party, oh damn & he hates his life? Mitch & Phil aren't to me even close to being the same, he loves his family, just not his job at least to me.

I think anyone can feel lost at any age, not just 30s and on. His wife is super understanding & loves him and wants him to find his happiness. I loved she said " go & find your smile" I think I love his wife, hehehe. I don't know if I would say that, wish I would to someone I loved.

That ranch seems dangerous & hard for people who never did that kind of work before, injuries are comin' hehe It's like being on a survival show, I couldn't do it. Hehe just riding horses hurt them, doomed.

That old guy, Curly was weathered & tough as nails & good for putting the pig cowboys in their place & his line " I crap bigger than you " was such a great line :] that is the type of guy you want in charge, tough and principaled & you can rely on that type.
    Mitch the lead must be enjoying himself at this point because he stopped complaining about how much he hates his life. Being outdoors can do that for you. I like how Mitch & his friends are with each other, nice to peek into a guys world.

Yay for Mitch's morals, good guy, wish all were that way when in a relationship & married.

Curly is my fave character in this movie, really enjoyed him because he is tough AF but can tell he's got a great heart & cares lots. Hehe when he sings his little song :] How old was that actor at the time of playing Curly? Was pretty agile.Wise words to Mitch! DAW the little calf :]

Wonder why they needed the female character at that cattle drive, they didn't do almost anything with her character she seemed underused & WTF Curly died sitting & still smoking WTH! That was a shocker. How did Mitch morphe all of a sudden into Curly? That seemed unrealistic but guess it goes with the transition of the story at that point.

Loved the ending & taking the calf with him. It was an uplifting movie. 8.5/10 ( some popular references went over my head though hehe)
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Finally somebody else comes in with their review. This site, in general, seems to have just died lately. Not that it has ever really been SUPER busy, but lately it is like a ghost town around here.

Anyways, I actually really dug the style of your review. It seems like you sort of formulated it as you were watching the movie rather than just a summary afterward. Well, in your head anyway. I don't imagine you were actually typing this as you watched. LOL! But, I mean, the way your review progresses is just like it was unfolding as you watch the movie.

I agree with a lot of what you had to say. I do have to admit that part of me was a little perplexed too by how somebody in Mitch's position could be so miserable. He has everything. A wife who loves him, a wonderful family, and a decent job. His job may not be the most exciting thing in the world, but that isn't important. I have nobody, and have to live with the fact that I never will. So, I can't help but somewhat feel like he has everything and yet still finds a reason to complain....

But I can still understand. Sometimes there is just something missing. I think it happens to all of us. Even when it seems like you have everything, that doesn't automatically mean you are happy. That is life sometimes. Wonderful, ain't it?

It's also funny how likable and sympathetic a character Phil is (or at least I think so) even despite the fact that he cheated on his wife. I generally have NO sympathy for cheaters, and in NO way do I condone his character having cheated. So, this does NOT make it okay in the slightest.... but this is one of those situations where even if I don't agree with him having done this, I can at least understand. Again, doesn't make it okay, though. But, his wife was terrible. He deserved better and should never have been stuck with her in the first place. I can relate to finding yourself stuck with the very wrong person that you used to think was the very right person. I would NEVER cheat.... but I can at least relate to that hopeless feeling he must have had and can understand how he'd have lost control and done something that maybe was a mistake.

In the end, Phil was a good guy who just made a terrible mistake instead of manning up and correcting another terrible mistake. If nothing else, at least his mistake freed him of that horrible marriage. Who knows, otherwise, if he'd have ever gathered the courage to free himself of the situation.

I agree too with Curly being such a great character. As I said, I think he may be my favorite character as well. Anyways, this has always been a movie I have loved since I was a wee little tiny human person. I still love it even now that I am a bigger not-so-human kinda person.

Where did all the movie goers go, only you & myself have posted reviews yet, I see pcmaster on the thing that shows last posters so he's been around ~ where is everyone else?

It IS a ghost town ~ BOO! hehehehe

Loveadmin opened topaz's thread & they told me we need to keep it open ourselves or it will close again.

No, I jotted thoughts in shorthand & then formulated all that into sentences later :] but thoughts were key points I wanted to discuss that interested me the most ~ I hate when I forget something I wanted to say on a topic so it helps out & I have a decent memory for most stuff.

Mitch was a regular old whiner type, could be happiest ever & find a complaint. Trapped in an aching 90 year olds body type hehe Phil wife seemed like a stuck up bitch to me & that is why when he cheats with the shop girl you don't care or really pass judgement on him, but did that girl get an abortion he was quick to pick up with the retreat girl after, forgetting he got other girl pregnant? Odd?

I didn't like they killed Curly so soon off. Wish he stuck around longer, he was the best character of the movie for me.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Well I watched a bit of the movie and got bored cause there was just too much talking without any meaning. Cheap american talking movie. I did watch mivie when I was a kid but remember only where guy shoot that cow and when guy talked how he found his dream girl and left.

So yeah wont watch it. Not good enough for me.
    I think what we should do is select movies that are at least 7.0 stars by IMBD rating.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 16-05-17 at 02:21 AM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    Phil wife seemed like a stuck up bitch to me & that is why when he cheats with the shop girl you don't care or really pass judgement on him, but did that girl get an abortion he was quick to pick up with the retreat girl after, forgetting he got other girl pregnant? Odd?
    I agree there was really no sympathy for Phil's wife. It doesn't make it right that he cheated on her.... but she was such a terrible person that you can't really feel sorry for her. Hard to explain, I guess.

As far as Phil's mistress.... I don't think she got an abortion. I mean, I could be wrong, but I think the implication was that it simply turned out she wasn't pregnant after all. She had thought she was, but it turned out she wasn't. I do agree it was a bit weird, the timing of the retreat after he found out she was supposedly pregnant. It was most definitely ON the retreat where he finally find out she was NOT pregnant. He mentions it during the retreat that he just talked to her on the phone. So, yeah, agreed that was a bit weird timing. LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast