+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What are your thoughts on this guy I dated?

What are your thoughts on this guy I dated?

The situation ended a few weeks ago and we haven't spoken at all since, but I am still confused about why it happened in the way that it did. Perhaps one of you can provide some interesting insight. To be clear I don't intend to talk to him ever again - but I am still in the process of accepting it and would appreciate all the third party opinions I can get.

In mid January, a month after breaking up with my long term boyfriend, my friends jokingly set me up a tinder profile. I went along with it because I found it quite funny and told them I probably wasn't going to use it at all. In the next 24 hours, I swiped left on most guys and the few I did match with came across as creepy. I received a super like from a pretty good looking and seemingly charming (based on his short, but witty bio) guy and swiped right. He engaged me in good conversation from the start and spoke constantly over the next five days before meeting up for crazy golf and dinner for our first date.

Now let me give you a lowdown on what I had gathered about him as a person before we went on a date and a bit about myself. I'm a final year uni student living in Birmingham, UK. He's in his penultimate year at university in Nottingham and is living in Birmingham while he completes a year long internship as a part of his course. Before meeting him, I had only every been involved with my ex, who I was with for two and half years. My tinder man has had three serious relationships since the age of eighteen, each lasting 4 - 6 months. I gathered in between he had had A LOT of flings. I later came to find out I was girl number twenty.

I was apprehensive about the first date. Given his history and the fact he seemed a little on the cocky side, I wasn't sure how he'd come across. I did enjoy the banter we had over text - I am a fairly strogn character and give as good as I get, so I appreciate a challenge. My ex had a similar personality in certain respects.

However, it went very well. There wassn't a single dull or awkward moment. We spoke incredibly frankly about our past relationships, our families, our education and aspirations and our interests. We had a debate or two and disagreed in several areas, yet it didn't bother either of us. He appeared at first to have a lot of the traits I think I look for - ambition, confidence, strong minded, while being fun and open to new experiences. At the end of the date he asked me what I would say to a second date - dinner round at his - and I said yes. He told me later it was one of the strangest first dates he'd ever been on - but that it was also very, very good.

Second date went just as well. Naturally, one thing almost led to another. But I did not sleep with him then and there. I told him I wasn't interested in casual sex and I a) wanted to get to know someone b) wanted there to be a strong connection and potential for a relationship before sleeping with him. He didn't push, but he did make a point that it was unusual. Of all his past conquests, he said only one had made him wait more than a few dates and that was his longest relationship - which only ended because she had to return to her home country. He had already told me about her before, so it wasn't the first I'd heard of her. But he said he respected that.

We met up once or twice a week for the next month and texted every evening. We told each other a lot about ourselves. Every date and every conversation felt as good as the previous one. He didn't ever sound too unbelieveable (but maybe I was being incredibly naive) but he made his feelings towards me clear: he got on really well with me, liked talking and hanging out with me, felt that we were very similar characters and that I generally understood him, and that there was chemistry. He said he felt comfortable being himself around me and that he could see us in a relationship. There were a few occasions before I finally decided I was ready that he did attempt to have sex with me. After the last one, I told him that I thought I might be ready, but even if we weren't official, we would have to be exclusive. He agreed. And the next time, I slept with him.

Aaaaaand then it got weird. We carried out talking as normal over the next few days. I didn't suspect a thing until he asked casually in the middle of conversation if I was sure that I couldn't just do friends with benefits. I flat out refused and decided I would take it up with him in person during our next date. We went to dinner and then back to his. He told me on the car journey to his that he wasn't sure he was ready to commit. Why? Well he didn't want to do long distance when he returned to Nottingham. This was partly because - he strongly implied - he had a reputation to uphold. And he didn't want to commit fully for the next few months before he went (which I said I was willing to do) because he was scared of falling for someone. He told me he committed in the short term to the girl who moved back to her home country and, having got invested and hurt when she left, he didn't want to do it again. But he did still want to casually date / friends with benefits until the end of his internship, because he did like me and didn't think he'd find anyone he'd get on with better while he was here.

I was fuming. We both tried to get our way - I argued he should commit to seeing me exclusively while he insisted we should keep dating casually. Both of us admitted we didn't want to throw our relationship away entirely. We decided to stay friends. He did imply during this time that there were certain aspects of my personality he wasn't as attracted to me as he originally made out. As these were directly contradictory with what he had said previously I figured he was either showing his true colours or making excuses for his own behaviour. Weeks later and a few platonic meet ups later, he told me he couldn't just be friends and didn't want to see me again. He said he still wanted to keep in touch, although I gathered from his conversation of late that it was rather half hearted. I was starting more conversations than he was. I told him I could see he wasn't really interested and I wasn't going to embarrass myself by still talking to him. No words have been exchanged since.

I was - possibly am - more hurt by it than I wanted to admit. I just find it hard to digest he wasted so much of his own time chasing a girl that he probably knew he wouldn't be able to ensnare in the way he wanted. But I guess that's the thrill. I do believe he did quite like me - but it was his priorities and lack of maturity that sabotaged any potential. I did say he should keep in touch - but I think I can be sure I probably won't hear anything now.

So, what do you make of this?

i think he just wanted to **** you. isnt that what tinder is for?
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooo! View Post
    i think he just wanted to **** you. isnt that what tinder is for?
    Well I know that's what Tinder's for now! I shall steer clear in future. Still wonder why anyone would wait about for something they could essentially get in under an hour.

Re: He

Quote Originally Posted by mussokn View Post
    The situation ended a few weeks ago and we haven't spoken at all since, but I am still confused about why it happened in the way that it did. Perhaps one of you can provide some interesting insight. To be clear I don't intend to talk to him ever again - but I am still in the process of accepting it and would appreciate all the third party opinions I can get.

In mid January, a month after breaking up with my long term boyfriend, my friends jokingly set me up a tinder profile. I went along with it because I found it quite funny and told them I probably wasn't going to use it at all. In the next 24 hours, I swiped left on most guys and the few I did match with came across as creepy. I received a super like from a pretty good looking and seemingly charming (based on his short, but witty bio) guy and swiped right. He engaged me in good conversation from the start and spoke constantly over the next five days before meeting up for crazy golf and dinner for our first date.

Now let me give you a lowdown on what I had gathered about him as a person before we went on a date and a bit about myself. I'm a final year uni student living in Birmingham, UK. He's in his penultimate year at university in Nottingham and is living in Birmingham while he completes a year long internship as a part of his course. Before meeting him, I had only every been involved with my ex, who I was with for two and half years. My tinder man has had three serious relationships since the age of eighteen, each lasting 4 - 6 months. I gathered in between he had had A LOT of flings. I later came to find out I was girl number twenty.

I was apprehensive about the first date. Given his history and the fact he seemed a little on the cocky side, I wasn't sure how he'd come across. I did enjoy the banter we had over text - I am a fairly strogn character and give as good as I get, so I appreciate a challenge. My ex had a similar personality in certain respects.

However, it went very well. There wassn't a single dull or awkward moment. We spoke incredibly frankly about our past relationships, our families, our education and aspirations and our interests. We had a debate or two and disagreed in several areas, yet it didn't bother either of us. He appeared at first to have a lot of the traits I think I look for - ambition, confidence, strong minded, while being fun and open to new experiences. At the end of the date he asked me what I would say to a second date - dinner round at his - and I said yes. He told me later it was one of the strangest first dates he'd ever been on - but that it was also very, very good.

Second date went just as well. Naturally, one thing almost led to another. But I did not sleep with him then and there. I told him I wasn't interested in casual sex and I a) wanted to get to know someone b) wanted there to be a strong connection and potential for a relationship before sleeping with him. He didn't push, but he did make a point that it was unusual. Of all his past conquests, he said only one had made him wait more than a few dates and that was his longest relationship - which only ended because she had to return to her home country. He had already told me about her before, so it wasn't the first I'd heard of her. But he said he respected that.

We met up once or twice a week for the next month and texted every evening. We told each other a lot about ourselves. Every date and every conversation felt as good as the previous one. He didn't ever sound too unbelieveable (but maybe I was being incredibly naive) but he made his feelings towards me clear: he got on really well with me, liked talking and hanging out with me, felt that we were very similar characters and that I generally understood him, and that there was chemistry. He said he felt comfortable being himself around me and that he could see us in a relationship. There were a few occasions before I finally decided I was ready that he did attempt to have sex with me. After the last one, I told him that I thought I might be ready, but even if we weren't official, we would have to be exclusive. He agreed. And the next time, I slept with him.

Aaaaaand then it got weird. We carried out talking as normal over the next few days. I didn't suspect a thing until he asked casually in the middle of conversation if I was sure that I couldn't just do friends with benefits. I flat out refused and decided I would take it up with him in person during our next date. We went to dinner and then back to his. He told me on the car journey to his that he wasn't sure he was ready to commit. Why? Well he didn't want to do long distance when he returned to Nottingham. This was partly because - he strongly implied - he had a reputation to uphold. And he didn't want to commit fully for the next few months before he went (which I said I was willing to do) because he was scared of falling for someone. He told me he committed in the short term to the girl who moved back to her home country and, having got invested and hurt when she left, he didn't want to do it again. But he did still want to casually date / friends with benefits until the end of his internship, because he did like me and didn't think he'd find anyone he'd get on with better while he was here.

I was fuming. We both tried to get our way - I argued he should commit to seeing me exclusively while he insisted we should keep dating casually. Both of us admitted we didn't want to throw our relationship away entirely. We decided to stay friends. He did imply during this time that there were certain aspects of my personality he wasn't as attracted to me as he originally made out. As these were directly contradictory with what he had said previously I figured he was either showing his true colours or making excuses for his own behaviour. Weeks later and a few platonic meet ups later, he told me he couldn't just be friends and didn't want to see me again. He said he still wanted to keep in touch, although I gathered from his conversation of late that it was rather half hearted. I was starting more conversations than he was. I told him I could see he wasn't really interested and I wasn't going to embarrass myself by still talking to him. No words have been exchanged since.

I was - possibly am - more hurt by it than I wanted to admit. I just find it hard to digest he wasted so much of his own time chasing a girl that he probably knew he wouldn't be able to ensnare in the way he wanted. But I guess that's the thrill. I do believe he did quite like me - but it was his priorities and lack of maturity that sabotaged any potential. I did say he should keep in touch - but I think I can be sure I probably won't hear anything now.

So, what do you make of this?

HM...I would say that he did like you a bit, but he wasn't interested in you in a serious way. I think he thinks like me, I've also been like that. Just wanted the thrill, see where this will go. BUt I never joike with peoples feelings. YOu should just forget him though. I would, sorry to say it. BUt best to move one.

- - - Updated - - -

hey girl ,you can find love there too. However have it in mind that most people don't go there for true love. I have met good guys there. Just keep that in mind.

In a sense I wanted to see where it went too! I suppose I was more honest with how I was feeling at every stage even though he wasn't. I do want to move on but I think he got me at a bad time and I will forget him slowly.

Not sure if I will ever return to online dating but I think I will avoid them and any form of actively looking for someone for a while. Think I need to learn to be on my own again.

Clearly all he wanted was sex. Guys will go to extremely lengths to f.uck a woman, it's actually insane the things guys will do to get with a woman. If you aren't ok with friends-with-benefits, that's totally fine. It's good you were clear about that, but you can never know for sure if someone else is being honest about their intentions or expectations. I am thinking he probably gave you quite a few signals that he wasn't going to commit, but you missed them because you were hoping it would turn out to be something real. It happens. You're not the first woman it's happened to and you won't be the last. So you pick yourself up and learn from this experience and you move on. That's all you can do. Chalk it up to a loss and move on with your life.
    "Caring is not an advantage."

Quote Originally Posted by melancholia View Post
    Clearly all he wanted was sex. Guys will go to extremely lengths to f.uck a woman, it's actually insane the things guys will do to get with a woman.
    actually i laughed at this out loud
    because it is sooooo true.
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.