+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I tell him how I feel or am I grasping at nothing?

Should I tell him how I feel or am I grasping at nothing?

A married man that I am friends with - he used to be my professor - seems to be interested in me. We talk often and he's helped me out a lot, especially as a fresher in the job market. He's even trying to get me a job on campus. We catch up whenever I'm back in town and I've noticed changes in him since I graduated, like his hugs are minutes long, and he rubs my back or arm while conversing, I catch him staring at me and holding my gaze for long moments and he always makes time for me no matter what. He's a very timid, humble and intelligent man who I know is in an unhappy marriage. We share a lot of personal information about each other and I genuinely adore him and want to get to know him better. I've seen his interactions with other peers and it's vastly different to his interactions with me. We have a lot in common and we just happen to 'click'. Am I reading into things and making a big deal out of anything? Should I try and forget the feelings I've had for him for the past year, or should I talk to him about it?

P.S: His wife isn't really in the picture. They're pretty much like roommates at this point. I've actually seen them together on multiple occasions and can see that there's nothing there.

P.P.S: My morals and way of life are quite different from the social norms and I believe that two consenting adults can do what they want. I know he's married and that I shouldn't be having these feelings, but you just can't help it sometimes. I'm not expecting him to leave his wife for me. I don't have unrealistic expectations. I really have no expectations, actually. Just need a little insight, is all.

Right now all he is doing is exasperating things, by emotionally attaching to you which is really unhealthy. He is weak/vulnerable, and with you playing along with these affections, you are only encouraging this poor behavior with your own selfishness.

My advice....Cut out these long sessions of affection, and do nothing until he finally becomes a man and divorces his wife.

What he and his WIFE are is none of your business and you're riding a slippery slope to a broken heart. Are you so stupid that you continue on feeding YOUR crush instead of backing away from someone who is married and shows ZERO indication of ever leaving her. At best, should this "thing" you have going on with him were to get physical, you will be one lonely littly interloper who spends all her holidays, birthdays and important events in her life alone while he continues on in his marriage.

Smarten he fvck up and distance yourself from him so that you can get over YOUR crush and be open enough in heart and mind to find a nice boy your own age who is free to love you the way you should want.

- - - Updated - - -

P.P.S: My morals and way of life are quite different from the social norms and I believe that two consenting adults can do what they want. I know he's married and that I shouldn't be having these feelings, but you just can't help it sometimes.
    Well guess what cupcake... the world doesn't revolve around you and what YOU want.

No disrespect but going by your attitude: Are you borderline personality disordered or do you have some other mental disorder that makes you think that it does?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion