+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why does my past still haunt me?

Why does my past still haunt me?

That day I was very excited because after a long time of dating each other, he finally decided to tell his parents about us. In my mind, I was already planning the wedding, our first dance as a married couple, all the teasing by my cousins. So much I had thought over this! I kept on looking at my phone all evening waiting to hear him say – “Marry me!!”

After a while, I lost track of time and no idea when I dozed off. I woke up earning in the morning at 6’o clock at his call. He had called to tell me that his parents did not agree to the relationship. I requested him / begged him to give this one more chance. It takes time for elders to accept a change in life. But, no it was like he had already made his mind to break this off. And that is exactly what he did!

He went on with his life, did not even bother to ask or call me ever again. 2 months later he got married.

I just cannot put my feelings in words here.

But I left everything after this incident – my job, my city, everything! And that jerk, is living a happy life with his wife.

2 years later, I am writing this down. Not really sure why?

It is not like I have not moved on. I have a life! I found a new job, I have a loving boyfriend but there is still so much anger inside me that just wants to burst out. I want to hit this jerk, punch him, and kick his ass! Do something bad to him.

It kills me inside to see him all happy not bothered to look back or even apologize to me. Why is this happening to me? I know I have moved on with my life but why does this keep haunting me? ☹

It keeps haunting you because you let it. You need to accept that he was obviously not going to go against his parents wishes and that all is not so bad since you HOPEFULLY learned a valuable life lesson wherein if you are ever with a guy that needs his parents approval as to who he can and cannot marry that you make sure, before you have sex or fall in love with him that you meet his parents and you find out if they approve of you.

Doing it any other way with someone who's culture and religion dictates that he marry who their parents must approve of or actually pick for him is just folly.

Time to let it go and get on with your life not even giving this another thought other then the lesson(s) learned not to be forgotten.

Give yourself the peace you are missing in your life.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Hello,

Letting go is never easy but once you find the strength to do it anything is possible. You can start again any moment you choose. Just try and be Positive and have a mind frame that. You do it!! Avoid using living in the past as an excuse for not improving the present. When things about your life don't stack up right now, sort them instead of reminiscing about how much better things used to be. You're an innovative, creative, adaptable human being who is capable of making the choice to live better, but trying to compare your current situation with the past risks holding you back.