+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I know if this is not meant to be or if it is too soon to say?

How do I know if this is not meant to be or if it is too soon to say?

I've started dating a girl about 4 weeks ago and she lives almost 2 hours away from me. So we've only met up about 3 times in person but we both like each other a lot and she wants a relationship. We have complete opposite lifestyles - I work a management role at a large company, am an active music producer, and party a lot on weekends, while she works casual at a cafe and is more family/home oriented.
    I like that about her because she's the opposite of me and tells me to relax more and stress less about life.

I've already had my fair share of toxic relationships, flings and fun, so I'm really more interested in something long-term.
    She tells me that I am very kind to her and she feels like she doesn't deserve it, but the truth is, I just want to find someone who is special to me and make sure I treat her the best I possibly can (like I did with my ex, who threw it all away).

However, the past few times I've organised something special for us both, she's cancelled on me due to family matters and her being too tired to travel. She's had much less experience with dating, and I understand sometimes there are circumstances beyond our control that keep us from seeing each other at times but I do feel like I'm right at the bottom of her priority list. So far I've always been the one initiating meet-ups so sometimes I feel like I'm the only one trying.

Our relationship mostly only consists of "how was work today?" text conversations (maybe she's content with that) but I don't feel like the relationship can really develop into anything much without us seeing each other enough.
    My lifestyle gives me the opportunity to meet different girls every week, but I'm worried that we may both eventually phase out and lose interest of each other.
    I like her a lot but I don't know if I'm being impatient or if I'm chasing something that's not meant to be. What are your thoughts?

Discuss this with her not with us?
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

Constantly not hanging out because of family emergencies would be appropriate in extreme situations, such as someone suffering through a terminal illness or going through a long recovery where they are the main caretaker. It's also been 4 weeks so you're a guy she's talked to for 4 weeks and won't be high on the priority list. If what you want is not meeting up with what she wants it's okay to move on. It doesn't mean she's a bad person or you're a bad person, some things don't work out between decent people. But, communicate to her what's going on to get her perspective so you don't torture yourself with the questions and fantasize of things that are unknown.
    Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist: Online and In Office Psychotherapy Sessions.

Hi Krusty. Its been a while. I see that you ended things with previous GF you been writting a lot about on here.

Well okay you like her but where is the signs she likes you as much? The red flag here is that she didnt travel to meet because of being "tired". This dont seems like enough excuse for me. Even if she really was super tired then not meeting because with family is another red flag. I know this feeling when you feel being in last place for a girl.
    Think you have to decide how many chances you will give this girl 2-3? Really some girls are just born losers(and so are their choices) and dont see a good guy when hes in front of them.

I think you are chasing too much here. Tell her that you dont know if its going to work between you two if you wont meet often enough. Dont take bs answer from her like - "dont worry" or "I wont dissapear anywhere"

Think you are amazingly loyal taking in note you have other options cause you can meet new girls every week.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will