+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the death penalty

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    haha hell no...Im done debating today thank you very much.
    Even if you don't believe me. I didn't know what a debate team is until a few seconds ago. Very strange idea that people in schools and colleges meet to debate. Stranger that there seem to be CHAMPIONSHIPS in debating. That's plain ridiculous - at least at first sight. How can you debate on a given topic?

In other news (directly from the front page of Google):
    "The City University debate team took its first ever championship in the annual Inter
    College Debate Competition by beating the Chinese University team." ROTFLLMAO

Just an exercise on learning to make a point. Some times you get told what point you have to make and you have to be persuasive even if you don't agree with what you're saying. It's more of a way to think quickly on your feet than standing in a concert hall bitching to someone else. But yeah we started doing it in middle school. You'll never catch me on a team though, I'm too laid back to argue with a total stranger about stuff thats been argued about 100 times before I got there.
    Heit ist mein taug.

.. debate team? WTF? anyway,
    I will never be there.. Im not qualified .. to many beers thank you very much ... j/k

Death Penalty... just the name is sort screwed up.. its not a "penalty" .. wouldnt that be a life sentence? I mean damn.. your dead right? I think its the Hockey in me that thinks that a Penalty is something you get slapped on the wrist for and is forgotton.. ..

I cant say I agree with it totally .. its the hippie in me that wants to believe that there are laws to protect the innocent too .. but in the same breath .. what happens to the victums? .. Being a victum of a sexual crime, myself, .. why cant the person who did that to me get charged with the death penalty?

My views on polictics like this are ignorant. I dont feel like i know enough about it, thats my fault ... but the people in charge forget sometimes that people are human too and make mistakes.. is it possiable for someone to change? .. Im not sure, but if you kill them.. I guess will never know. I know that it COSTS ALOT to keep people in jail.. I know. .. and there is no way to make that cheaper.. except.. take away their cable, weight rooms, personal basketball courts .. etc.. shit .. they have a better life then I do? ..
    Squir.. I understand how you feel about the death pentalty .. and maybe if I knew more Iwould change my mind.. I am a bleeding heart liberal sometimes.. lol..
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    " It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not."
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

Sweetie-its everyones own belief-some people believe its not right to take anothers life. Which I can see it. I understand it. There have been many families whose convicted killer they have ended up pleading for their life in courtroom. That takes SO much I could never do it. I give those people so much credit.

But I personally have done so much research on it-as a matter of fact the state of FL as well as many other states are lookn into the juvenile death sentence-takn it off the books-at least for those under the age of 18. THAT I AGREE WITH. I dont think anyone under the age of 18 is truly capable of knowing what theyre doing. In their mind set. Some might-but for the most part I cant see sending a 13 year old to their death if they killed someone...look at the number of young children who kill their parents-and why they did it...mentally ****ed up from the word go.

I never took an interest in it until my son was born and I took govt in college-with as many issues as there are I chose that one-

If youre really interested in something you get involved or learn about it. I wont DEBATE an issue of I dont know a thing about it-like politics and I admit it. But its important for people to be well informed on issues and Im trying to make myself more rounded about worldy things and have in a sense being a close friend in Iraq. But still-Jane I dont like the word ignorant-just because you dont know anything about an issue doesnt necessiraly make you ignorant-its more just a lack of knowledge in that department.
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

well.. thank you hon.. I know that I need to learn more.. I was jsut bascially stateing that I am not informed enough about the death penantly to talk about it.

I need to learn more about it thats for sure.. .. I am proud to say Squirrley, that I am glad you be your friend.. you have strong conviction and aren't easily swade .. well.. if Irons involved you may be! ... lol

That is a sign of a strong person and one of the best qualities you have! Your my rock girl! I love ya!
    ~ Jane
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    " It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not."
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123