+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrified of Aging

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Just be sure if you try to off yourself, you do it right the first time. Otherwise, you will end up not only drowning in your own secretions, but also on renal dialysis and possibly a ventilator.
    Heh, had a friend that tried to off herself. OD'd on valium and tylenol w/ codeine, taped over her head to her neck, passed out while trying to hang herself. Friend found her.

The gal's husband was so upset when he found out she might not live through the night he immediately flew home and cleaned out their bank accounts and home of all valuables. Never set foot in the hospital. Oh, did I mention that his abuse is why she tried to kill herself?

Remember, you cut along the veins not across them!

On a serious note, more and more states are creating right-to-die laws. Oregon has one, and Washington just passed one.
    Last edited by Lite; 10-01-09 at 07:06 AM.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just be sure if you try to off yourself, you do it right the first time. Otherwise, you will end up not only drowning in your own secretions, but also on renal dialysis and possibly a ventilator.
    Sick.

I'm going to tell my fiance if I ever get to that point, that he should just tell the doctor to slowly keep upping my morphine until it kills me.

My grandma volunteers at the hospital and says this is the way the doctors typically 'take care' of the patients that are old and suffering and taking an excruciatingly long time to die.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Sick.

I'm going to tell my fiance if I ever get to that point, that he should just tell the doctor to slowly keep upping my morphine until it kills me.

My grandma volunteers at the hospital and says this is the way the doctors typically 'take care' of the patients that are old and suffering and taking an excruciatingly long time to die.
    Maybe... I haven't really seen that yet, although I've seen some viable candidates for sure, poor things.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

A really good point that I read about was to view age as a gift. The longer you live, the more experiences and friends you make. No matter the mistakes you make along the way, it’s the act of living the life that should be seen as great.

Well, for all of you who are in your 20's and 30's I think you should just enjoy your time right now as it is. I will be 50 this month...Yikes; as my youngest daughter said...a half century! I'm not so hung up on the number as looking in the mirror and realizing that short of plastic surgery and botox, there isn't much you can do about gravity....You can eat right, exercise and all of it, but things move with age and that's that. Kind of sucks, but then we have to forgive our bodies; especially if they have gone through a lot...like mine; four babies in five years in my 30's and three of them c-sections. One emergency, so you can imagine...but yes, this life beats the alternative!

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I turn 29 next week, and I'm okay with it. The way I see it, the older I've gotten the better my life has gotten, so why be upset about it?
    Exactly. In fact, I'm finding my 30s to be even better than my 20s. I can afford great food, a trainer, decent clothing and makeup.

There's a reason why Madonna, who is 50 I think, looks so great: she worked hard to afford it and waited to have kids until she could.

There are some younger parents (babies really, barely legal a couple) at my son's school. But you can see their lack of maturity and education, that also contributes to someone's attractiveness. You can usually spot a successful, professional parent compared with a teen or stay at home mom miles away. Usually by the quality of their dress, how they carry themselves and always when they open their mouths, lol.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Where I live, staying home to raise your children is considered a luxury few people can afford, and generally the families that can are comparatively affluent and educated. Of course, I suppose things may be different in Canada.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Vash, the stay at home moms where I live tend to fall into one of three categories:

1. Single welfare mom
    2. Some young thing who never got educated, so it makes more financial sense for her to stay home than to work for $10 an hour part time and pay a babysitter $800 a month
    3. Older women (late 20's+) with careers and an education. They can afford a few years off at home. Then they go back to work, because they want to.

I intend to fall into category three.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Maybe... I haven't really seen that yet, although I've seen some viable candidates for sure, poor things.
    My mom's mentioned that to me a couple of times. I'm very, very thankful that there are decent human beings willing to help people instead of needlessly prolonging pain.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    My mom's mentioned that to me a couple of times. I'm very, very thankful that there are decent human beings willing to help people instead of needlessly prolonging pain.
    I don't think the doctors are upping the morphine to help people die... morphine causes peripheral pooling of blood, which helps with the pulmonary problems associated with dying in addition to reducing myocardial oxygen demands. Of course, a side effect (for the opiate-naive) is that it also suppresses respirations.

I'm personally all for treating pain aggressively, but I won't intentionally kill anyone, even if they ask me to. If someone (terminal) dies because of my honest effort to control their pain, that is an unfortunate side effect.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I just don't get why we keep people alive who are terminal. What does it serve? If your dog had cancer you wouldn't hook it up to machines and try to stretch out its suffering as long as possible. You'd put the poor thing down. To me it would be unfathomably cruel to do otherwise. And yet that's exactly what we do to our own species.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I just don't get why we keep people alive who are terminal. What does it serve? If your dog had cancer you wouldn't hook it up to machines and try to stretch out its suffering as long as possible. You'd put the poor thing down. To me it would be unfathomably cruel to do otherwise. And yet that's exactly what we do to our own species.
    People are not hooked up to machines without their permission (or the permission of people who are responsible for making their health care decisions).

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm going to have it written that if I'm ever at a point where a machine is keeping me alive and I'll never recover, I want the plug pulled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12