+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of Aging

Terrified of Aging

I know that it beats the alternative, but it lately has really started to bother me. I was asked in another post what my age was and I actually was extremely hesitant to state it.

How are you all dealing with getting older? I feel that I must now be a grown up. I still get carded on occasion but I also have people calling me ma'am (and not just little kids). I still feel like I should be included with the young adults still figuring things out. Help. This is really starting to stress me out and cause anxiety. I no longer know what people expect of me.

I was recently checked out in the mall by a boy who asked if I had a daughter named *** because she was one of his friends and I resembled her. I just had to ask what grade he was in and he told me that he had graduated high school. I wanted to curl up and die. When did I get old. 31 isn't old enough to have a kid out of high school (unless of course you were an extremely young parent). I see now how women become botox junkies.

I was always the mature child and now I feel that I wasted my youth being the responsible one. Thanks everyone. I am sorry I am just having a pity party today and could just cry.

If this is in the wrong forum, I am sorry. I am new to LF. I just feel lucky that I have found a place to express my frustrations and worries.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Haha! I can sympathize! I have kids who are in high school (I really can't believe it!), and when I attend school functions, I look around in shock at how old the parents (my so-called peers!) are. (I also can't help but notice how incredibly dorky so many of them are.)

I think you have to develop a sense of humor about it, and of course, keep yourself really, really distracted. Do something really special with your time - something you can be really proud of. It helps make your age less significant.

Also, I believe you are single, right? Just keep in mind that the kind of partner you'd be interested in (assuming you are looking) probably wouldn't be looking for a kid.

Finally, you could resort to hanging out with people who look older than you.
    Last edited by vashti; 06-01-09 at 10:19 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I don't really worry about aging all that much. What it is for me though is that I feel that I'm leaving things too late.
    I'm 26 now and I only just finished uni. Also, I wanted to be a young dad (30 or younger), but I don't even have a steady girlfriend so it doesn't seem like happening.

The girl I'm seeing at the moment actually thought that I was 32 when we met a month ago, didn't really bother me.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I turn 29 next week, and I'm okay with it. The way I see it, the older I've gotten the better my life has gotten, so why be upset about it? There is nothing about my life now that I would trade for being 17 again, or even 21 or 25 (except maybe my old bangin' body). I handle aging great. Maybe I will get a little botox ONE day......but I'm not overly obsessed about it.

People need to embrace aging a little better. I hate that society makes it so negative to get older.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

think about it really, how much more comfortable are you with your body? how much more comfortable are you taking risks? how much more do you know now that you wished you'd known when you were 21? seriously i adore being in my 30's. i love being me. how you look (i.e how you dress) is somewhat important (it will attract a certain kind), however having confidence is wayyyy better. i never really doubt myself much anymore coz i have usually been able to make an educated guess, yet when i was younger i did. the older you get the wiser you get. honestly yes i have become more selfish but thats my prerogative, my life is so much better for it. getting older is better imo
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

I was seriously awkward when I left HS. I was still awkward looking after college. Believe it or not, I feel I'm one of those guys who actually looks better with age. I look better with graying hair, I look better with wrinkles.

I think I'm actually getting more attractive every year.

I'm in my 30's now, and more women find me attractive now than when I was younger.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by shybelle View Post
    I see now how women become botox junkies.
    I'm actually less worried about wrinkles and how I will look older and more about things like kidney and liver failures later on in life. Not being able to maintain balance, loosing sight, being hooked up to some tubes that keep me alive. That's the stuff that terrifies me.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

^^ lol mish surely you're too young for that kind of worrying? altho having a good perspective on health and eating natural food is my thing coz i want to feel good now and will likely live longer than if i didn't eat healthy. it has longterm benefits
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    ^^ lol mish surely you're too young for that kind of worrying?
    I know, but just knowing that at some point in time I'll probably have to go through that gives me the shivers
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    I was seriously awkward when I left HS. I was still awkward looking after college. Believe it or not, I feel I'm one of those guys who actually looks better with age. I look better with graying hair, I look better with wrinkles.

I think I'm actually getting more attractive every year.

I'm in my 30's now, and more women find me attractive now than when I was younger.
    I think a man who has kept himself in shape is at his prime between 35 and 40.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I can't wait till I am really old. I can't wait to reach the age where yelling at me and raising your voice at me is considered rude.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    I can't wait till I am really old. I can't wait to reach the age where yelling at me and raising your voice at me is considered rude.
    It's rude at any age. The difference being you'll eventually be old enough to wave a cane and yell at the kids to get off your damn lawn.

I knew I was old when I opened my mouth and my father's words came out. I'd spent weeks getting my lawn in shape, and these kids were trashing it. Man was I angry.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

I've never really thought too much about aging, and I'm a worrier, so I guess it's just not one of the things that bothers me. Then again, I'm only 23, so I have plenty of time for that.

What DOES bother me in that regard is the fear of being alone, and (maybe this is petty) the fear of not having gotten to partake in the carefree, romantic relationships of high school and college. I know they're full of drama and all, but I just mean that I'd rather get to start my "dating" experience without the pressure of my "biological clock" ticking or people wanting to settle down.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I'm actually less worried about wrinkles and how I will look older and more about things like kidney and liver failures later on in life. Not being able to maintain balance, loosing sight, being hooked up to some tubes that keep me alive. That's the stuff that terrifies me.
    That terrifies the crap out of me as well. Might sound morbid, but when I start getting older I fully intend to have a supply of barbiturates at my disposal. I will not suffer through cancer or any other debilitating disease just to appease... Hell, I don't even know what it appeases. We don't let our pets suffer. We have the compassion to put them down. But not grandpa. He's got to drown in his own mucus or scream as his guts are ravaged.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Just be sure if you try to off yourself, you do it right the first time. Otherwise, you will end up not only drowning in your own secretions, but also on renal dialysis and possibly a ventilator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast