+ Follow This Topic
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Vile Beasts

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123 View Post
    I have a son, so have the same kind of love i would have for a daughter...I would want justice, of course, but torturing them makes takes you to their level, and does nothing but attempt to satisfy your desire for revenge, when, in fact, no matter how much you torture them, it would never be enough to reverse what happened or 'make things better'.
    Just shoot them. There's no beating around the bush involved.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

I might agree with Mishnaya that torture-revenge fantasies are not very productive, but I wouldn't say that they're in any way reprehensible.
    I've always believed that the "instinct" that pushes us toward revenge is one of the few things that separates us from lower animals, and makes us superior to them. The deep need for justice-revenge is purely human, and magnificently human, at that.

On the matter of working to change the laws concerning rape: no, I'm not going to work for any change. The laws on rape are quite adequate as they are-- it is the enforcement of the laws that is the problem; and there is no practical way to change the system of enforcement, other than to shoot all the prosecuting attorneys and ideology-corrupted judges, and replace them with people who believe less in trendy legal theories and more in common sense and simple justice.
    When in trouble,
    Or in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Quote Originally Posted by chump4u View Post
    I've always believed that the "instinct" that pushes us toward revenge is one of the few things that separates us from lower animals, and makes us superior to them. The deep need for justice-revenge is purely human, and magnificently human, at that.
    hmmm... I'm going to have to disagree with you chump. I think you have it the other way around.

What separates us from the lower animals is our ability to rationalize. Its our ability to inhibit thoughts and actions. Its our ability to reason.

And these abilities are what separates us from the lower animals.

I agree with you, there is naturally a deep need for justice-revenge within us all, but our ability to rationalize and inhibit thoughts and actions is what makes us purely human, and magnificently human, at that.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It isn't even a fantasy, really. It's about discouraging criminals and instilling fear within them.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

i could really give a shit what other people think. if i want to fantasize about revenge then i will. you can go on fantasizing about changing the laws or whatever you want and i don't really care about that either.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by chump4u View Post
    shoot all the prosecuting attorneys and ideology-corrupted judges, and replace them with people who believe less in trendy legal theories and more in common sense and simple justice.
    I think this is less a problem than you imagine, but what IS a problem is prison overcrowding. When you have limited space to house prisoners, and tax payers don't want to foot the bill for building more, people are forced to prioritize. Combine that with the cost of executing prisoners, and you end up with justice issues.

The laws that need changing are the drug laws, so there is more room for housing other types of criminals.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    BUMP

Here's an update on the orignial story:

A seventh suspect has been charged in the alleged gang rape of a girl outside a Northern California high school homecoming dance.

Contra Costa County prosecutors on Thursday charged 43-year-old John Crane Jr. of Richmond with forcible rape in concert and a special allegation of personally participating in the crime.

[url]http://my.earthlink.net/article/us?guid=20100121/28342398-cb7e-4077-9405-3dd39dd17559[/url]

43 years old, and raping young girls! What a disgusting excuse for a human being. I hope he gets what is coming to him.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    Skip the politics and execute them, jail the ones who stood by and watched.

This world needs more Boondock Saints, pick a god and them them to it.
    The offense is a product of a sickening society. Executing the offenders would only make you as bad as them.

I do not know what you would expect one or two bystanders to be able to do. We haven't exactly been giving detail suggesting the bystanders consisted of a group of combat read adult males who can take on a group of 7 rapists (assuming those seven were the ones involved in actual penetration and not simply guilty by accessory, but that is a different issue). When you consider that these people are capable of raping a 15 year old girl you have to wonder of what else they're capable. Now, I do not want to excuse that this incident was not reported and that people who did watch are in the wrong but I think there are too many missing facts for us to judge everyone who was present.

Would I go in and try to stop such an activity ? Against seven fully grown men, probably not. I'd likely just get killed and the result would be that the girl would get killed too. What I would do is call the police, which is apparently what these people had failed to do. Such is baffling beyond belief.

Directly from the article :

This detached mentality can be especially pervasive among youth, who are too young to comprehend what victimization means, said Salvatore Didato, an organizational psychologist in New York. When a teenager -- or anyone -- doesn't have a personal bond to the victim, they are less likely to help out.

This is a serious cultural and mental health issue. Normal, healthy, functioning adults do not simply watch why someone is assaulted or murdered anywhere else in the world. This type of behavious is just not natural. Being able to turn a blind eye to something like that is evidence that something is 'amiss' with the people involved.
    Last edited by BoredGeorge; 22-01-10 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredGeorge View Post
    I do not know what you would expect one or two bystanders to be able to do.
    How about calling the cops?
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    How about calling the cops?
    1) they thought someone else would or had
    2) they didn't want to get involved

while number 2 sounds illy I can definitely understand why not wanting to get involved may be a reasonable. reply.

Firstly.. having to take unpaid time off work.. therefore the possibility of getting fired. Having to pay additional travel costs while losing a days pay, which will impact your overall situation.

But you would probably say the lack of finances is 'your own fault'.

Secondly, all of these calls for blood are based on rather ignorant assertions. Harsh punishments do not prevent crimes. The USA has the harshest punishments of any western county and their prisons are over flowing and crime is running rampant.

Good luck with torturing the bystanders to prevent future rapes.... lmao...

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    It isn't even a fantasy, really. It's about discouraging criminals and instilling fear within them.
    And it plainly does not not work.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910