+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do women feel they need a man?

there's nothing wrong with that but shouldn't be a question of wanting and not needing?

I think for a lot of things people say *need* instead of *want*, and *want* instead of *need*.

Do people NEED their ipod/mobile phone/favourite item of clothing/television/certain food/ect? It's unlikely they will die when it's gone(unless you can only eat certain foods or something, but I hate when people say "I need my coffee in the morning". Or what? You die from lack of caffine?). Unfortunately in this day and age, every time someone says *I want money* it's actually *I need money*.(tho for what purpose and how much of it will vary, and probably won't go to just all the basic things you need to live. Some people think people with families are more deserving of money/jobs than of other people-but I won't get into that, except to say that the single person also needs money.)

I think the same goes for relationships. I know a lot of people who will say they NEED sex. No, they don't. They just REALLY want it. Sometimes people will say they NEED to find a better gf/bf, and that can be half true if 1)they don't need because they won't die without a gf/bf but, 2) their current gf/bf is so destructive and abusive that finding a better one is more than simply a novelty.

I think in most cases, people are so far gone into loneliness/unhappiness, that they exaggerate that they *need* a man/woman in their life. I think as long as they don't make it all about the ends justifies the means, or that anyone will do as a bf/gf, that it isn't such a bad exaggeration to have.

Why? I agree I might have self esteem issues. I don't NEED a guy probably. I just want someone to be there. someone that cares. I want someone to love me at night after i've gone through a day in hell.
    It's as simple as that I think.
    I can live without a boyfriend. It's just a little lonely.

In the US women are socialized to be successful at relationships while men are socialized to be successful in their careers. Women who feel that they "need" a man feel that they are failing if they're not in a relationship. Blame patriarchy and sexism.

Women just want to feel loved. Some of them want men and others want women. A woman I worked with recently committed suicide when her girlfriend broke up with her. Some women don't feel whole without that other half to complete them. Same goes for men. I have a lot of self-confidence but I'd rather have someone special in my life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12