+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Women and Menopause

Women and Menopause

Does menopause create some sort of chemical imbalance in the brain that creates violent mood swings?

Based on my own experience with menopausal women (my mother and her friends) I'd say anything can happen

Mood swings, out of characters decisions and reactions, hot flushes, funny hair, bloating, silent treatment, and also from what I've noticed the main personality traits are exacerbated :

Say the person has a tendency to be insecure she'll turn into an insecure and jealous borderling bitchy woman

Say she is sometimes forgetful she'll become scatter-brained

Say she is opinionated she'll become an annoying Mrs Know all...

Jeez...I'm an expert...I'm surrounded with Menopausal women at work and at home!
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

so bitchiness is a common symptom..that explains a lot

Well it didn't cause violent mood swings in my mum. Nor did she have any other symptoms, that I know of anyway...

And I'm not there yet, so I wouldn't know. But if it's like symptoms of PMS, only worse....arrrggh, no hope for me

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    Based on my own experience with menopausal women (my mother and her friends) I'd say anything can happen

Mood swings, out of characters decisions and reactions, hot flushes, funny hair, bloating, silent treatment, and also from what I've noticed the main personality traits are exacerbated :

Say the person has a tendency to be insecure she'll turn into an insecure and jealous borderling bitchy woman

Say she is sometimes forgetful she'll become scatter-brained

Say she is opinionated she'll become an annoying Mrs Know all...

Jeez...I'm an expert...I'm surrounded with Menopausal women at work and at home!
    Gawd, is it that bad?...

Is there anything we can take, for the mood swings and stuff?

My ex-boss for example, who I'm still friendly with is starting to take little things very personally...like the other day I cancelled going to the movies at the last minute for a very valid reason but she made some comments unnecesary comments like I was letting her down...

She never used to be that bad...and the other day she asked me as a favour to help her son with his Maths but kept phoning me to postpone the time again and again until she finally told me I was not needed anymore...very weird and inconsistent behaviour.

My mother is not bad...she was a bit taken aback at first, was tearful for nothing at the beginning of her Menopause and then after she got some medication she was fine...but my understanding is that every woman is going to have to find what works for her.

I guess it's like PMS: as long as you know when the mood swings stem from then it becomes easier to handle them...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

My ex mother in law went INSANE. She was always a little nutty, but menopause put her right over the edge. She needed drugs, I swear.
    Spammer Spanker

Do you know how long it lasts Sookie or Giga?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    My ex mother in law went INSANE. She was always a little nutty, but menopause put her right over the edge. She needed drugs, I swear.
    You are describing my girlfriend. I wonder if I should slip some "happy" pills in her soda
    Last edited by roy_delene; 21-06-10 at 06:24 PM. Reason: too sleep to form coherent thought :p

Being extra attentive and flowers every day might do the trick.

But then the mind is a funny thing. She might wonder why you are being extra nice and suspect you of all sorts...and the flowers may be beaten around your head, lol

Oh lord, think I will be dreading it arriving, I'm a cow when PM'sin, so I will be a 'double' cow then no doubt

From what i know as a 17year old... i think hormones stop releasing as much as they used to. so yeah. theres probably a chemical inbalance which causes mood swings. which means she'll probably get mad over nothing. or emotional for no reason. have fun! be understanding though... and treat her with care ♥ good luckkk

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_delene View Post
    You are describing my girlfriend. I wonder if I should slip some "happy" pills in her soda
    If she is really unhappy with the way she feels, she can consider hormone therapy.

For the record, not everyone goes crazy during menopause. A lot of it has to do with how women feel about not being able to give birth anymore... so much of our psyche is tied into that one aspect of being a woman, even if we aren't interested in having more babies.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?