+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Things you've always wondered about, but never asked

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    Why do so many people believe in religions (in Coran, Bible or Talmud) when there is actually very little prood of the facts stated in these books...the same people would happily dismissed more likely facts such as an alien life, medecine, species evolution,...
    I think that people believe in religions because they relieve them from the strain of thinking for themselves. They feel comfort when someone else tells them what is true and what isn't or how to live their lives. The gain all the knowledge of life and death by simply believing (in the extreme case at least). When people base their knowledge on belief, the likelihood of a fact becomes irrelevant and no logic or evidence will convince them of anything that goes against their belief.

It's not just the religious folks that fall into the trap of blind belief. (Strong) atheists believe that there is no god. Some people believe that any statement is false if there is no evidence to support it (say, the existence of extraterrestrial intelligent life). It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    Why do so many people believe in religions (in Coran, Bible or Talmud) when there is actually very little prood of the facts stated in these books...the same people would happily dismissed more likely facts such as an alien life, medecine, species evolution,...
    First of all I'd like to say that religion doesn't dismiss medicine, or technology in general, it's the people that do that. Most of the time they "abuse" their own religion when they dismiss technology/medicine/whatever, it's not like it is written in the Bible not to watch TV on Saturday, but hey, they consider it a sin, go figure.

Why do they believe in such things ? IMO it is because they were taught to believe in it, there's a case of one or two going their own way and basically ending the religious practice in their family, but most of the time kids of religious parents will follow their religion blindly.
    Religion has been a part of human life for a long time, so after so long, it's really hard to tell them "hey you're wrong" and expect everyone to believe you over their parents or their Rabbi or whoever.

Fact is, we can't prove that God exists, but we can't prove that he doesn't exist. So going by that fact, it's very reasonable for humans to believe in God, as it's a possibility. It's their problem.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    And here starts the religion debate....again.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Why is saying goodbye so difficult, even though you know you will see that person in two or three months?

because you've grown used to being closed to her...the first few days after saying goodbye are the worst!
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Who decided breaking a mirror is 7 yrs bad luck? (asks me, who just broke a mirror)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertz View Post
    Who decided breaking a mirror is 7 yrs bad luck? (asks me, who just broke a mirror)
    Wow qwertz, you're fuccked

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Its a good job im not superstitious.

Oh no! Not being superstitious causes another 7 years of bad luck!

Quote Originally Posted by qwertz View Post
    I think they got it wrong, my sister has broken quite a few mirrors and she is always lucky.

How come Coca Cola managed to become so popular? You'd think people would think twice and thrice about drinking a substance that is black in colour, has bubbles emanating from it, and has a strong reaction when shaken. Nitrogycerin, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    How come Coca Cola managed to become so popular? You'd think people would think twice and thrice about drinking a substance that is black in colour, has bubbles emanating from it, and has a strong reaction when shaken. Nitrogycerin, anyone?
    Because people are generally stupid and will believe anything they're told, when marketed correctly (religion, anyone?)

That or someone tried it and it happened to taste good.
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Because it's delicious and energizing...

It used to have cocaine in it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    Not really...I'm good with being alone.
    I've got some strange views on certain things (not just love). So I guess people are just a little puzzeled about what I do..
    It just seems to me there is a certain expectation you're supposed to live up to

@oneandonly: It doesn't bother me that they ask. I'm just curious to know if there is such a thing as the standard way of living..

let's leave it at that...don't wanna make this MY topic

tnx anyway
    I used to think like you.

Ask anyone else here.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast