+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Almost best friends (and ex) with "benefits"?

Almost best friends (and ex) with "benefits"?

"Benifits" because it's not sex, we're not ready for that, but just making out and some simple foreplay.

Hey guys, I recently came out of an almost 10 month relationship with I guy I've been attracted to for more than 18 months. It was a mutual breakup over the distance that we can't conquer, and I'd have to say it was mature, though it still hurt. We've always known that whatever happens between us, we'll always be close friends. There have been two or three instances where we tried to do a relationship without the title, pressure, expectations/obligation thing to relieve some of that pressure with the distance between us, or try being friends who contact eachother for the sake of a future, but neither of those lasted more than 24 hours because I realized I couldn't do them. (I needed all of him or none of him, romantically). So we've settled to be just friends. Period. (that is, whatever happens in the future will happen, but till then, friends).

He called me out today and we kind of just talked about why the other options didn't work, and how being friends was really the only option left for us, which left us both sad, but both understanding nothing else would work. Both of us know there's nothing between us that can happen at the moment, except we both know that we still like eachother. Afterall, feelings rarely just "go away". He brought up the idea of being friends with benefits, because we have needs, and the best person to satisfy it is of course someone you know well, and not some random stranger. He said though there's no other choice but friends for us, he still enjoys pleasing me, just as he did in our relationship, and enjoys making out. He still cares about me, and I do to him too, and we had to set the rules before we started. Basically, no feelings whatsoever.

Do you think this will work? We're pretty good friends, but we still like eachother, yet both of us know nothing else will or can work at the moment, and if it can, it'll be in like two years. Honestly, I don't expect us to get together from this, simply because we've tried every other option and all of them ended in a heartbreak on my side. I was able to deal though, because I accept the fact that it wont work out at this time of our lives and I'm good as long as we can be friends.
    I've heard FWB don't work if you are actually friends and hang out with them. What do you guys think? Sorry for the long post..

Sounds like a really bad idea. You said it ended with your heartbreak everytime you broke up, and it didn't work because you are an "all or nothing" type, so how the hell are you going to handle this non-committed, not-defined arrangement?!!

It did, that was assuming we were still somewhat "together". This is like.. nothing at all. Two friends. No strings attatched except for the bold red one for touchyfeely. Two friends that happen to like to please eachother.

If you were able to handle it emotionally, you wouldn't be on here asking whether it's a good idea. It sounds like you could get very hurt... Why don't you move on and find someone that you can have sex AND a loving relationship with?