+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Opinions on Rebounds

Opinions on Rebounds

I want to know, from a guys perspective, when men break up with women whom they have had a long term relationship/ get divorced, what do they want out of a rebound?
    Are they looking for a soft place to fall, just some chick to have sex with, or to start another relationship right away as a means to cushion the fall?
    Which brings me to my next question - what type of woman would be your ideal rebound?

My best friend is a man who just came out of a 5+ year relationship - - - he claims he "just needs laid" since the break up (which is probably true)....He has expressed an interest in having this sexual encounter with me --- I have refused, not only because of our friendship but because, if we were to have become intimate, I know that I would want something more than to just be some chick he's having sex with - I would eventually want a relationship with him sometime in the future, if things worked out. I am of the impression that rebounds NEVER work and that you should never jump into a relationship after leaving a serious one because that does not work either.

I just want to know if am thinking along the right lines or if I am totally off the mark here!

I don't think there are rules. Perhaps much depends on the nature of the breakup and the reasons for it. I broke up my partner of 7 years in Feb last year and the breakup was entirely my decision. So because I wasn't crying into my breakfast cereal I immediately went out dating and begin a relationship in June which lasted for about 3 months. The relationship didn't work simply because we were not compatible and it took a while for me to realise this - but at least the sex was wild! Almost immediately afterwards I began another relationship which has now lasted 4 months and I'm more than happy to continue it as we are far more compatible and the relationship is one of love, respect and equality. How long will it last? Who knows.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If he is telling you he only wants to get laid, then I would listen to him. He isn't interested in a relationship with you.

But to answer your question, I think after a such a relatively short relationship, he is probably just wanting affirmation that he is still attractive to women and of course, sex.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

If people start a relationship for the right reason, then yeah I think a rebound could work. I think a lot depends on the person being honest with themselves over why they are seeking a partner so soon.