View Poll Results: What makes the most sense?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Try a distance relationship

6 42.86%
  • Stay friends, see what happens when you visit

2 14.29%
  • Stay friends, do not try to date her, its simply not going to work out

6 42.86%
  • Heck even staying in contact is hopeless, continue as long as possible but it will fall apart

0 0%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seperated by half a world

Thanks for the replies, perhaps a few more details would clarify the situation further. She asked me if it could work the day she was leaving and I did not believe it could so I didn't go out with her until 6 weeks later of all night phone conversations and realizing I made a huge mistake. While typically I would agree that long distance relationships are hopeless we are both extremely busy people. She is a med student and works 12-15 hour shifts at an intership, and I am a college engineering student taking extra classes, doing sports and working a job. In the summer I work practically all day. We use whatever free time we have to call each other. If things go as planned I will be visiting her this summer for a week or two. I am wondering if any one has any good ideas for long distance communication. We call each other and are considering skype chats from time to time. If this is going to work we are going to need to get to know each other even more, any advice for specifically that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks foreverxlove, it gives me a little more hope.

In regards to getting time off work, I have worked for the same employer for almost 5 years and in good standing with my boss. When I ask for long vacation times such as a week off he is more than happy to give it to me as long as it is planned well in advance.

To respond to the residency fear, that can be thrown out simply by the fact that neither one of us can relocate until mid 2013 when we both finish school. If it makes it that long, and that is of course thinking too far in the future we can figure that out when we cross that road.
    Last edited by Kevz; 12-01-11 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverxlove View Post
    One of my friends married someone they were in a long-distance relationship with for 4 years. They actually met them online and then, in person, they met and within 2 years, they were married. Been married for 5 years now and they seem extremely happy.
    I reckon it can work and if both people are committed to making it work.

Thank you for the good advice, still looking for general advice for long distance relationships, help is greatly appreciated!

Dude, when you're infatuated with someone days, months can seem like years -it's all an illusion your mind creates
    because of your infatuation. You don't even know this girl well enough to love her as you say. I cannot say what she is
    doing or thinking because it sounds like she hasn't bothered to write your in any way nor keep in touch...

If you lie to yourself and "keep her as a friend" -you're not fooling us!
    You will still feel the connection had before she left...
    Common sense: she will have moved on and found someone else in her country.
    A fool's hope: she will wait for you with open arms and you will continue on where you left off...

It just sounds like you set yourself up for this when you found out she would be leaving your country for hers in 3 days time.
    No one can tell you what to do...all we can do is help you see what to expect realistically. I was in the exact same situation many times.

Only one time did it work out (because I hopped on a plane to Canada) and even then the relationship died because
    the truths about her came out after the "BS" was surpassed (the infatuation phase)

This is a new experience and I would advise you to see it through BUT don't give
    all of yourself towards this low probability of success. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SelflessnHumble View Post
    This is a new experience and I would advise you to see it through BUT don't give
    all of yourself towards this low probability of success. Go for it.
    Good advice! It's going to be years. You can try, but be careful.

As for communication: I find that emails are rather good addition, as you have a chance to tell a story, or just say something quick, when you don't have enough time for a call.

I understand the low chance of success, however I also understand I am also not going to meet someone else like her. Our relationship continues to grow stronger daily despite the complications our relationship faces. For once I have met someone I can see a future with, so I am ready to leave it all on the line. When I got to see her face again on skype last week, it was the first time in two months we saw each others faces and it was pretty emotional and I got to meet some of her family. Sure this isn't going to be easy but then again, the best things in life also do not come easy. I cannot explain it but somehow I knew after hanging out with her this was destiny.

To answer Selfless, what you said about her moving on was what I thought too, so I did wait a month to see if our connection was not fading. It continues to grow stronger despite the complications. We both talk on the phone trying to get to know each other more and help each other get through problems/goals. Perhaps you are correct that I do not know her too well, but now after dating for two weeks and 2 months after the week I am confident on my feelings. It is also not typical for two people to talk about their feelings for one another as fast as we did. Call me a hopeless romantic, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut and hope for the best.

Thank you for the advice RockNRoll. I wish email was an option, but she only has internet on the weekends since during the week days she lives closer to her job and has no internet. Skype is becoming our second means of communication. I wish anyone knew how I could receive SMS texts from her. I cannot open them on my phone since my company is strict, I can sent texts via skype but as she said it when I explained she could not reply "that just plain sucks" Anyone ever workaround the international text problem.

Each of the relationship have their own problems but one thing for sure, you will regret it later in your life if you did not take the step of going the distance.

[URL="http://bit.ly/relation3hip"]Free Video on love and relationship advice.[/URL]

[URL="http://bit.ly/makingup3"]Free Video on making up.[/URL]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12