+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Troubles with my boss

Troubles with my boss

Hey everyone. I know that most people have at least some issues with their boss. But i wanted to share mine and see if anyone can relate.

He is extremely sarcastic quite a bit of the time, and when I'm trying to be serious or ask a serious question, i will generally get a sarcastic answer first. He tends to pick on me too, especially when the whole group is around, he'll single me out to make fun of me somehow. The other day, he was talking to some co-workers, and then when he was walking back to his office, he pretended to punch me in the face on his way by and didn't say a word, he just kept walking back to his office.

It just seems very strange and unprofessional. I'm getting really tired of the way that he acts. He's not a real popular guy around the office. I'm not really sure if i should say something or not because i know if i do he'll give me an even harder time.

What do you guys think?

What an awkward situation you've found yourself in.. Naturally if you had a co-worker that had a problem with you, you'd want to know right? So you could be aware and work on it. And you'd want them to go to you first instead of your boss about it right?

I'd say to extend the same courtesy to your boss. Maybe he's not aware of what an ass he's making himself to look like. Maybe he's trying to be the 'cool' boss that everyone likes. The right thing to do would be to talk to him privately when he's not busy in his office and lightly explain the situation without making him look like a bad guy or idiot. If you don't say anything to him, then you really can't complain about him because he wouldn't know to fix it.

Of course I know this is all much easier said then done. I know if I was in your situation (my boss is the opposite, never jokes around, complete dick, scares the crap out of me) then I would probably end up biting my tongue and hating him in silence.

Hey, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said he's trying to be the 'cool' boss. The strange thing is that outside of work when we interact he's fine. He's nice and normal to be around. So he apparently doesn't realize it but in trying to be this way he's making himself look worse and not pleasant to be around.

I wonder too if he's just really stressed and that's how he deals with it. Either way, I think what you mentioned about talking to him would probably be the best approach when the time presents itself.

Cool name too by the way.

Thanks!

Maybe he likes you.

Boss trying to act all cool, failing awkwardly and ending up being unpopular. This situation reminds me closely of The Office tv show.

It sounds like your boss could be a bully.

Here's how to determine if your boss is one.
    Does he:
    Ignore or pretend you’re invisible
    Make personal remarks and attacks
    Use jokes to deliver insults
    Spread rumors
    Use threats and intimidation
    Invade your territory or personal space
    Purposely interrupting or wasting your time
    Dirty looks and other rude gestures
    Career sabotage via email
    Publicly humiliating you
    Ineffective training to sabotage work
    Two-faced attacks
    Belittling and disrespecting you

If he does those things coupled with the fact that he doesn't act that way to his superiors or bosses then you have an A-hole on your hands.

I've personally experienced that sort of behavior where I use to work.

Here's how to deal with them: mindofz.com/personal-development/the-no-asshole-rule

You have a shit boss. Get over it, learn to overcome it, or get another job.