+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Boyfriend talks about another girl a lot?

Boyfriend talks about another girl a lot?

I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year now. 8 months into our relationship he met this girl at school since they had the same lunch table. It seems like ever since that point he's talked about her and randomly brought her up often when we hang out. It's like every time I see him he will randomly bring her up at least once. I can't even count how many times he's talked about her. Quite a few times he's said how he thinks she's annoying or too hyper yet he still talks about her. The instances usually involve something stupid, like one time when he talked about her it was how he got her to sing some song that was in a movie with him and how she loved the movie too. Another time when I was making chocolate milk with my boyfriend he randomly brought up how one time this girl wanted chocolate milk and he told her to try ovaltine (which is one of his favorite drinks). Then today he blurted out the words "whaaat's wroooong?!" in a weird voice and then when I asked "what?" he said the girl's name and then said how one day he had his head down at lunch and how she said it like that and how it sounded like how Oprah says things. I didn't think much of it even though it was random. But then later when we were watching a movie he said it again. I said "that's the second time you brought that up today". And he said to me "I know it's just stuck in my head" and then I said "you talk about her a lot, it's weird" and then he said "don't think of it like that. I only have one class with her and it's lunch" and he put his arm around me. I just still think it's weird. He has to think of her if he keeps talking about her like this. And she has a boyfriend and otherwise my boyfriend and I are happy. I don't quite understand.

I think you need to be clear and deceive with him that he needs to knock off mentioning her. And just to cut you off at the pass, no, this does not make you paranoid. Bringing up another girl nearly every time you see him, even if it's in a negative light, would unsettle an otherwise secure person. You obviously have no authority to tell him to stop THINKING about it, if it's "stuck in his head".... but he has control over his mouth, and what comes out of his mouth should be respectful of your feelings. If he's a good boyfriend, he'll recognize that the topic makes you uncomfortable, and knock it down to only mentioning her once in a blue moon.

If he doesn't knock it off, your choice is to accept it or break it off.