+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is spending the night ever platonic?

Is spending the night ever platonic?

One of my guy friends (who is now a friend, but we did unoffiicially date for a few weeks) called me pretty late one night one Sunday night and asked if I wanted to hang out the next morning. I had work on Monday pretty early, so he's like "nevermind, it's okay, I'll mess up your sleep, some other time..."

After getting off the phone with him, I noticed he had missed a text from him right before I talked to him on the phone. It said: "Can I spend the night at your apt? I need to leave my place for a bit"

Guys, is this a just-friends thing ever?

My friends say, he wanted to sleep in my bed with me, which has happened once before.

I can understand if he was traveling/drunk, but he was clearly at home and could sleep in his own room. Thoughts?

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Seems like something's bothering him and he wants to talk. You should do that.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Of course it can be platonic.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Well, that's good. I was kind of worried that my friends were right, but I wasn't 100% sure. I mean, we are just friends now.

ive spend the night many times at a female friends house, normaly id crash in the basement.

Save your bed for your romantic partner. Platonic friends of the opposite sex have no business in your bed. Having them in your bed leads to all kinds of false emotional readings from either one or the other. If platonic opposite sex bed sharing is okay, then why do S.O's all over the world freak the fk out when they find out their S.O. has been doing it?

Op: If you read the text at face value (instead of in some false emotional way) then it's quite easy to see that he said "I need to get out of my house for a bit." That (if you kept out the false emotional feelings) clearly tells you that there was something he wanted to avoid at home so he was wondering if he could crash at your place. WTF do you even get where he wanted to sleep in your bed?

Stop listening to your friend who helps you with your false emotional feelings by telling you what you want to hear.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I think if neither of you has a BF/GF it is okay. And I do think it can be platonic. I used to party and hang out with this guy from work and we always crashed in his bed on the weekend. Minus once waking up spooning, there was never anything weird about it to either of us...but neither of us had SO's at the time. If we had I wouldn't have done it for the principle that I wouldn't want my BF sleeping next to some girl. Now if it happens and he makes a pass...then obviously not platonic. To be quite honest I kinda miss hanging out with my friend because it was nice to sleep next to someone and not have the whole romantic thing going on.

Did your mother keep you in her bed until you were 12 or something so now you have trouble sleeping alone and will even do it when it's inappropiate? In my opinionated, opinion. Any man that will sleep with a woman in the same bed when not in a romantic/sexual relationship, is rather affeminate or.. he two was raised sleeping with his mother until an inappropriate age.

Bed + two members of the opposite sex = romantic/sexual connection. Anything else is whack. JMO. No wonder there are so many men who have been delagated to the life of some chicks Male girlfriend these days.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 15-07-11 at 02:03 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, are you sleeping in the same bed? No, that is not platonic. I thought you meant the couch, or a guest room.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh