+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a little vent (husband is sick)

Gravol sounds good... for someone like me. Over the years the strength of hubbys anti nausea tablets have increased quite a bit. He hates taking them too and spends all his time sick sipping diluted Ginger Ale.
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    What kind of crap doctors do you have there? If you have a doctor that isn't open for discussion on your husband's condition then go seek out another. You might find help by visiting sites that discuss these issues...there might be doctors you can email that specialize in this type of problem. Maybe contacting a medical university to see if they can help getting a diagnosis. There is nothing wrong with asking for help.
    Lots of dodgy GPs that did it for the money. *sigh* My hubby liked the last GP we went to though I found him a bit of a jerk. He is the first GP in ages to actually take an interest and atleast order a few tests, even if it does seem repetitive. I think we're the only family around that has individual GPs for each member ( I see a local lady that is cheaper than the GP that hubby likes, but I only really need her to re-issue scripts and our son will only let one GP examine him and he is half an hour away.).
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I couldn't get Gravol when in Oz, but you can get Diphenhydramine from a chemist. But, its not a solution, it would only mask his symptoms at best. You need to find out why he's vomiting. Noone here can diagnose him, even the med professionals will tell you to get him examined--Risa has been telling you this. I'm sure Vash will tell you the same. I suggest the ER next time he has an episode.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Until he sees a GI doctor, I would heavily suspect food allergies/intolerances, starting with dairy, then probably eggs or wheat (celiac), and then seafood. Keep a journal of what he eats/drinks after eliminating dairy (for example) from his diet.

But really, he needs an EGD and/or colonoscopy. Too bad about the health care system over there - it's fine unless you are in exactly THIS sort of situation.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Until he sees a GI doctor, I would heavily suspect food allergies/intolerances, starting with dairy, then probably eggs or wheat (celiac), and then seafood. Keep a journal of what he eats/drinks after eliminating dairy (for example) from his diet.

But really, he needs an EGD and/or colonoscopy. Too bad about the health care system over there - it's fine unless you are in exactly THIS sort of situation.
    oops, i meant to say colonoscopy when i said endoscopy

in my experience dairy and gluten allergies result in diarrhea. now vomiting i'd suspect something else, but if his blood work came back ok, then i wouldn't worry much. i'd guess that it might also be gastritis caused by alcohol consumtion and god knows what else. then he can try taking nexium for a month to see if that helps at all.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, it sounds like he drinks quite a lot, at least by California standards.

What color is the vomit? (not to be gross) And does he suffer from constipation and/or diarrhea during these episodes? Any unusual color/consistency? (yeah, i guess it IS gross.) Has he ever had any abdominal surgeries?

My sister turned out to be lactose intolerant, and before she figured it out, she had a lot of nausea (no vomiting) along with diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Of course, everything makes her nauseous. lol
    Last edited by vashti; 17-07-11 at 01:17 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

What color is the vomit? (not to be gross) And does he suffer from constipation and/or diarrhea during these episodes? Any unusual color/consistency? (yeah, i guess it IS gross.)

My sister turned out to be lactose intolerant, and before she figured it out, she had a lot of nausea (no vomiting) along with diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Of course, everything makes her nauseous. lol
    yeah, i was hesitant to ask about the color of vomit and stool, cuz you know where i'd be gong with that.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I couldn't get Gravol when in Oz, but you can get Diphenhydramine from a chemist. But, its not a solution, it would only mask his symptoms at best. You need to find out why he's vomiting. Noone here can diagnose him, even the med professionals will tell you to get him examined--Risa has been telling you this. I'm sure Vash will tell you the same. I suggest the ER next time he has an episode.
    Gravol is a Canadian only product, but it is readily available on line and I didn't suggest it to be a cure but to help him be more comfortable. She IS desperately trying to find out WHY he is vomiting. She has sent her husband to many doctors, had many tests done with no answer in sight. She is frightened, and just came on here just to vent. She is at a loss and just needed someone to talk to and maybe get some suggestions on what else she can do or look at. No one here is trying to be a doctor and she understands that. Talking it out is just giving her some strength to help get through this......

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Smackie, my post was in no way a criticism of anything you posted. Since I've actually lived in Oz, I just thought I would share what I know. Which includes reinforcing the fact that medical advice over the internet isn't a good idea.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Mathias is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Since I've actually lived in Oz
    What's Dorothy like in real life? She's stuck up, isn't she?

What color is the vomit? (not to be gross) And does he suffer from constipation and/or diarrhea during these episodes? Any unusual color/consistency? (yeah, i guess it IS gross.) Has he ever had any abdominal surgeries?

Firstly to address your first post, thankyou for confirming for me that the food diary is a good idea. A colonoscopy has never been suggested even though he's going for his second gastroscopy. I may ask his GP why this hasn't been suggested before. Then again that could be hubby has never considered himself to have bowel issues.

Once he has emptied his system of any food his vomit is green and biley. Sometimes quite a bit of phlegm is present. No diarreah or constipation to describe, unless you consider the lack of need to poop constipation. We actually consider him on the road to recovery once he has a bowel movement followed by a 12 hour period of no vomiting. His first bowel movement is usually quite dark, and horrible on the stench level. There is no discomfort and texture is 'about usual', in hubbys words. No abdominal surgery.

And to anyone thinking I am seeking medical advice, I am not. I wanted to vent and get some outside suggestions maybe. Not so I can run off half cocked and tell my man I know what is wrong and give him some sort of mystic cure. So I can ask his GP better questions and give him better information. I have gained a level of comfort too, because I had a new angle to research from and I now know no matter what we will get some kind of answer, and if I push, maybe before the end of the year. Prior to posting this thread I was falling back into my habit of thinking he was going to vomit himself away and we would never find out what is wrong. I would also like to add if this was happening to me I would have found out why by now. I can only push my husband towards the doctor or the hospital so hard and he often flat out refuses. He is more sceptical that an answer will be found than I have been.

Smackie, my post was in no way a criticism of anything you posted. Since I've actually lived in Oz, I just thought I would share what I know. Which includes reinforcing the fact that medical advice over the internet isn't a good idea.
    Actually it is a great tool if you are researching to seek out other possible diagnosis, getting more info on your illness or other treatment options. It worked for my mom when her doctor couldn't help her. She did her research, got a few idea of what it could be and demanded to see a neurologist. He was able to make a proper diagnose. If she didn't take action with the info she had, she would have been in a home by now struggling.....it's about educating yourself, to learn what questions to ask the doctor etc. Even doctors use the internet to seek out information. You can't always depend on a doctor to give you the answers you need, so you have to be proactive. Plus we are not telling her what she could do to cure her husband with cockamamie remedies or bulls hit herbal pills,etc. That is the real danger on the net, ads for cure alls and gimmicks.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaidenMinx View Post
    His first bowel movement is usually quite dark, and horrible on the stench level. There is no discomfort and texture is 'about usual', in hubbys words. No abdominal surgery.
    Hard to tell without actually seeing or smelling it, but black stools can indicate some degree of bleeding in the upper GI tract, and though the smell is god-awful, they are usually tar-like, so I am at a bit of a loss. If he is bleeding, it would have to be a very small amount. Be sure to mention the information about his bowel movements to your MD when you finally get to see one. It is relevant, including the smell, and will help narrow down which type of scoping he needs to have done. If he has a bowel movement like this the day he sees his MD, he may wish to take a sample with him so they can check for blood and other things.
    Last edited by vashti; 17-07-11 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks for that Vashti. There's only so much I can describe without hubby feeling like I'm putting too much out there. I've definitely hit the borderline which is fair enough.

For a brief update, he hasn't vomitted in nearly 48 hours and is back on bland solids. He's feeling up to going to work tomorrow (phew!) and has his colour back. Meanwhile I am exhausted and am planning on going to sleep as soon as our boy does (I type as he knocks on his bedroom door again. He's been 'in bed' for an hour and a half now). At this point it will be hard to convince hubby to go to the doctor this week, as he is feeling better, but I'll do what I can. If I explain that I would really just like him to go and touch base and have it charted that he has had another bout he might be willing. I know his main hesitation will be the fact that it's what he views as an expensive conversation. Either way, the gastroscopy is already booked so atleast something is on the cards.

I also have to be relieved that this episode hasn't been quite as bad as previous ones.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In the event it is gastritis, he should really lay off the liquor and any products that contain aspirin. Actually, those products should be avoided for any GI issues.
    Last edited by vashti; 17-07-11 at 09:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast