+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a Hobby.

Take up a musical instrument...how about join a brass band.

Frisbee Golf.

No I'm not joking.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Jim had an awful day fishing on the lake, sitting in the blazing sun all day without catching a single one (but he drank alot of beer, so its okay). On his way home, he stopped at the supermarket and ordered four catfish.
    Until this point I honestly thought that this was a personal anecdote.

Have you considered learning a sport or joining some kind of amature, co-ed sports league such as hockey, baseball, soccer, volleyball, golf etc. It's a great way to meet same and opposite sex people and keep in shape at the same time.

What about taking a gander at your local school boards extra-curricular classes being offered. I once took a wine tasting course through the night school programme and it was a blast (if you're into that sort of thing). They had cooking classes, dance classes, model airplain and photography classes to name a few.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

reading - good for your soul and intellectual growth.

do u like play some sports??
    or how about leran other languages?
    i think , if u don't have any goal like aim yourself.
    first of all how about make goal ?
    and u can try get reached your goal as hobbies.
    but don't pressure yourself

Don't hobbies come naturally? Like, when you are supposed tobe cooking but instead you find yourself fiddleing with your hobby despite of hunger?
    Don't expect anything.

You always have the option of renting a kayak. Good to do that first, anyway. No sense buying a kayak and discovering after a few trips you're really not into it. That's why there are so many second hand kayaks on the market.

Definitely get into reading no matter what. Unless you like being strung along by the nose, you have to read. Pick up some Timothy Egan books. The Worst Hard Time, for example. He writes exquisite non-ficiton. The book I mentioned is a lot like the Grapes of Wrath, but it follows the lives of real people who toughed it out in the Dust Bowl. Amazing stuff.

I second camping and hiking as well. But only if you do both. Nothing lamer than pulling your gigantic tent out of the car and pitching it right there. Get a hiking tent and sleeping bag, compact and light as possible. Find yourself a cheap hiking bag. It's not that expensive to start with. If you get into it upgrade the bag.

Travel--done right--is pretty cheap, too. Grab the camping gear, drive (better if you have a motorcycle handy) somewhere awesome, pitch a tent at a national park. Sneak away in the morning without paying the greedy cocksuckers. Wherever you live, there are amazing things around you that you've never bothered to see. Get out there and see them for nothing more than the cost of gas and a few bites to eat. I traveled all across the US like that, and I could have done it for $2000--including gas--if I hadn't splurged so much. Less than the cost of a decent kayak. Of course if you can splurge, do it. You miss out on a lot if you don't get to eat the local cuisine, and nothing beats sitting in a bar in the middle of bum**** nowhere. You would be surprised how much more interesting the people are in places like that. There's a reason folks in the city tend to be so flashy on the outside. It's to cover up the void inside.
    Last edited by Jazzersize; 04-09-11 at 03:42 AM.

if you're trying to get away from your PC.

Pick up a martial art.

I do judo, and a few friends of mine have picked up Judo or TaeKwonDo. Its very fun to dedicate yourself to a martial art, and watch yourself improve over time.

You can also check out rock climbing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12