+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Wedding Rings Vs. Tattoos

Wedding Rings Vs. Tattoos

So I have had this idea for a while that wedding rings represent all of the wrong aspects of love. I appreciate the symbolism of the circle (no end & no beginning IMO means that love lasts forever) but I don't appreciate all of the physical properties of rings. Why does the material matter? Does a more expensive metal mean that he loves you more? A ring is a piece of jewelry which is designed to be shown off. I don't think love should be shown off like a prize winning cow.

I don't actually have any tattoos because I am scared to death of picking a tattoo and discovering that years down the line I don't like it. This got me thinking that the only thing that people choose for the rest of their life is their partner. So it seems that the only thing people should be tattooing on their bodies is a symbol of love and nothing else.

With that ramble out of the way the symbolism in tattoos is pretty obvious but I'm still going to write them down. Obviously it can never be removed, it can't be lost or stolen, and it doesn't represent any socio-economic status. I guess tattoos do fade over the years but no more than a wedding ring gets dinged and smudged.

If I can find a girl that is cool with it I would like to get wedding tattoos.

Thoughts? Is there any symbolism that I missed?

They wouldn't make such a great family heirloom though!
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love tattoos, I have 9 in total, but I would not ever want wedding tattoos instead of rings.

And these days, with the divorce rate...tats are permanent- alot of marriages arent!!
    Last edited by qwertz; 14-08-11 at 05:19 AM.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by BFTrick View Post
    So I have had this idea for a while that wedding rings represent all of the wrong aspects of love. I appreciate the symbolism of the circle (no end & no beginning IMO means that love lasts forever) but I don't appreciate all of the physical properties of rings. Why does the material matter? Does a more expensive metal mean that he loves you more? A ring is a piece of jewelry which is designed to be shown off. I don't think love should be shown off like a prize winning cow.

I don't actually have any tattoos because I am scared to death of picking a tattoo and discovering that years down the line I don't like it. This got me thinking that the only thing that people choose for the rest of their life is their partner. So it seems that the only thing people should be tattooing on their bodies is a symbol of love and nothing else.

With that ramble out of the way the symbolism in tattoos is pretty obvious but I'm still going to write them down. Obviously it can never be removed, it can't be lost or stolen, and it doesn't represent any socio-economic status. I guess tattoos do fade over the years but no more than a wedding ring gets dinged and smudged.

If I can find a girl that is cool with it I would like to get wedding tattoos.

Thoughts? Is there any symbolism that I missed?
    My wife and I ordered silver rings from Amazon, with shipping and tax they totaled less than $40. She isn't particularly fond of gold, and to us the symbol of wearing each others' rings was the important bit. I wear a wedding band as it's a visible symbol of our union - one that was put on my hand by my wife, and vice versa. She has no diamond, and doesn't want one. Our wedding bands are plain, and simply a symbol.

We're also planning on getting matching tattoos with each others' names on them sometime in the near future. Right now it's an expense we don't need as we have better things to spend the money on. Mine will be on my forearm or upper arm, haven't decided where yet, hers will be in a place that can be hidden by clothing, as she is going to school for a profession that values "proper appearance"... schoolteachers aren't supposed to have tattoos, LOL. I will say though that it's usually a mistake to get somebody's name tattooed on your body.

You're wise to not get a tattoo until you're absolutely sure you want it. I wanted one for 10 years before I figured I probably wasn't going to change my mind and went ahead and got it.

Got my partners name tattooed on my ring finger in Japanese.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If I did it again, I'd get one of these:

[url=http://www.davidvirtue.com/index.html]David Virtue[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

^^^ I like ...
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

That's a fine idea for a wedding band, but alot of women these days expect an engagement ring...
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    If I did it again, I'd get one of these:

[url=http://www.davidvirtue.com/index.html]David Virtue[/url]
    Oh they are gorgeous. I wish hubby didn't hate jewellery for himself. (That's right. My husband does not wear a wedding band. Whether or not I should be worried about him not wanting to was my first question of this forum. )
    'People are never perfect but love can be. People waste time looking for the perfect lover rather than creating the perfect love' - Princess Leigh-Cheri from Still Life With Woodpecker.

Tattoos are probably a bad idea. I mean you never know, what if you two ever get divorced?
    Let my kiss steal the breath from your lips...<3

sadie_genie Guest
    Make sure she isn't allergic first. Don't want her to associate tattoo infection with your romantic proposal. I personally would never get a tattoo of any kind because it is inserting ink into your flesh. Ew.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Tattoos are a fad, which I suspect will be over soon, since the soccer moms have them (making them no longer cool). Wedding rings aren't a fad. If you don't want to pay for an engagement ring, don't make excuses - just don't do it. Wedding bands can be had for cheap enough.
    Last edited by vashti; 15-08-11 at 09:50 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Its not like tattoos are even that cheap. (maybe im just biased because I suffer from belenophobia/needles)

i wouldnt tattoo a wedding band on ya. too many people cant make marrage work and you'll look like a divorced fool when trying to explaint this to the next woman if there is one. get the ring and be done with it. wedding ring is about $200 for a plain one...and it comes off at night if ya dont wanna wear it.