+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have anything good to say about Online Dating?

A few months later he was moving in to my house and a few months after that we were married. 2 1/2 years later I don't regret any of it.
    I highly don't recommend this as a steady diet. I congratulate you though for not being killed and buried in your basement by a dating site psychopath.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Evo1114 View Post
    I'm just an above-average dude who needs an above-average mate.
    ha ha good luck with that..
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    ha ha good luck with that..
    You mean there are no above-average women out there? Bummer. Maybe I just need to try and be more average. Perhaps the above-averagers are attracted to the below-averagers? The opposites attract theory.

Quote Originally Posted by kageri View Post
    I spent 6months talking to my now husband online before we met. I didn't find that length of time I talked to someone really made that much difference except that I refused to meet anyone after one short exchange. I quickly blocked the guys who immediately wanted to call and set up a date that week. There's not a chance in hell I'll meet someone off the internet when I know absolutely nothing about them. Most of the time we talked a couple weeks and then we'd meet.

I never used anything but free sites and I not only found dates that weren't just looking for sex but married someone of one of those free sites. It works just fine if you have the patience to wade through the junk and you don't have unreal expectations. Since it's the internet where things happen fast people seem to expect they will meet someone quickly when really it's no faster than dating off the internet. I met someone I wanted to date about every 6months off the internet and I met someone I wanted to talk to about every 4 months and someone I wanted to date about every 6months on the internet. It's pretty equivalent really.
    I met my husband the old fashioned way.....we met at a bar.

My buddies all tell me all that is on those sites are whales......they are very disappointed.

I hate bars and alcohol tastes horrid no matter what you do to it. Add in my family's inability to get drunk and it makes bars rather pointless. My sister occasionally follows friends to bars and called me up a couple weeks ago all excited about being drunk for the first time because her coworkers bought her a whole bunch of expensive whiskey shots. I didn't want to go sit there alone drinking soda in the hopes of meeting someone else who also hates bars and going out drinking while at a bar. My job had no coworkers, everyone at martial arts classes were too young, too old, or taken and my dog agility classes are nearly all women. It was the internet or the newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    My buddies all tell me all that is on those sites are whales......they are very disappointed.
    Whales? Have your buddies been reading Moby Dick or something?
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

I hate bars and alcohol tastes horrid no matter what you do to it.
    Now I'm not much of a drinker, but I can tell you that simply isn't true.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

I wouldn't say it's a bunch of whales. There are some... "aesthetically challenged" indiviuals but I don't think any more so than in real life. the difference is on a website they are right in your face so you have the time to notice every imperfection. But I think if you meet those people in a traditional setting it wouldn't be as apparent.

Like I said I wasn't attracted to my ex when I first met him online and then the more we hung out the more his personality brought out his attributes. By the end of the relationship I barely give other guys a second look because I so attracted to the guy I was with and couldn't imagine anyone hotter. But that's how it goes now. I see him now and it's back to... meh... I have no feelings one way or the other on his attraction level.
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

I like online dating and I have found some very nice people there. I only do online dating, so I can weed out the people with whom I having nothing in common. If their profile doesn't tell me much, I simply move on.

Oh yes. I have accounts on Okcupid.com and Plentyoffish.com. On both of those the majority of people seem averse to sex for some reason. I'm not talking about one night stands, which I don't want. I'm talking about all sex, in general. So, if you want a complete relationship, including sex, don't go to those sites.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

i use to run into what you see is not what you get, im not one for false advertisment....dont post photos of yourself 5 years ago. i peaced so many women cuz of that.

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    I like online dating and I have found some very nice people there. I only do online dating, so I can weed out the people with whom I having nothing in common. If their profile doesn't tell me much, I simply move on.

Oh yes. I have accounts on Okcupid.com and Plentyoffish.com. On both of those the majority of people seem averse to sex for some reason. I'm not talking about one night stands, which I don't want. I'm talking about all sex, in general. So, if you want a complete relationship, including sex, don't go to those sites.
    You must be fugly then? POF has THE worst reputation for hooking up and not much more. They don't call it PLENTYOF****BUDDIES for nothing.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I hate bars and alcohol tastes horrid no matter what you do to it..
    Your starting to sound like richard.

Now I'm not much of a drinker, but I can tell you that simply isn't true.
    Maybe according to you but if you put a drop of alcohol in something I can taste it. People have given me various drinks not telling me there was any alcohol to try to find something I wouldn't notice it in. At first I just stared at it slightly confused about what was causing that taste and then would sit the drink down and ignore it. Now I recognize it instantly. Usually if I drink I just do shots cause might as well get the taste over with quicker and the alcohol down faster. Not that it does any good since I have only accomplished getting drunk once and it involved a very large amount of vodka for about 30mins of enjoyment. It seems genetic since all of my mom's side of the family dislikes the taste of alcohol and never get drunk even when other people keep buying them drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    You must be fugly then? POF has THE worst reputation for hooking up and not much more. They don't call it PLENTYOF****BUDDIES for nothing.
    That's a little rude. I have to agree with Bulrush. I mean sure there are people there for hooking up but no more so than a bar or other singles site.
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast