+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have anything good to say about Online Dating?

Does anyone have anything good to say about Online Dating?

Hey fellow forumers I had a question for the masses?

I was curious if anyone had any success stories with someone they met thru an online dating site? You hear all these horror stories but does anyone have a partner they met strictly online… and it turned out alright?

I met my last boyfriend there, and we dated for a year and a half. Met the first day I signed up, went on a few dates with him, and then agreed to be exclusive. It worked for the most part but we are no longer together.

I’ve been dating again but it’s been a different experience from the last online experience I had. Was my first experience just a fluke? Does anyone have anything nice to say about online dating?
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

I met my boyfriend online but not through a dating site, I met him on an online game. Imma nerd ^_^

Anyway we met in real life after finding out we live close to each other and started dating soon after. Been together almost a year, and it has been wonderful.

Meeting someone through a computer might not be the most romantic way to meet a lover, but you know, I wouldn't change a thing about our meeting. It somehow suits us. You know since we are nerds.=P

I can't really say anything about online dating sites except to be careful. I am sure there are lots of creepers stalking those sites.
    Let my kiss steal the breath from your lips...<3

For every success story, there are 1000 failures. (just made up stats, of course but disclaiming for Indi's benefit O.o)
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I've tried it but I found the vast majority of 'matches in my area' on there were grossly unattractive. And the very few that I did find attractive either never respond to me or stop responding once we got to a certain point. (I tend to ramble about everything...A LOT...and I suppose that frightens them away when I send them a six page email describing why I like peanut butter sandwiches). So in theory I suppose it could work, but for me, it's probably better to meet somebody face-to-face since I don't ramble nearly as badly as I do through electronic mediums.

I guess with online dating it's a compromise between convenience vs limited range of suitability.
    -... --- --- -... .. . ...

Quote Originally Posted by Evo1114 View Post
    I've tried it but I found the vast majority of 'matches in my area' on there were grossly unattractive.
    Why? Are you inordinately fussy?

tried it a few times, honestly it ended up in just hookups. but i was younger too, now 28 might provide a different story.

This time around I'm finding I'm not that attracted to the people who message me for the most part. But I do remember when I was first in contact with my ex I didn't think he was attractive either. Well... not like... heh... I didn't think he was ugly or anything I just wasn't like "Whoa... hottie". But the longer we dated the more attractive he got to me.

But I think you're right Max it was convieient. I work odd hours, go to school, and don't get out much other than the occasional trip to the gym or trail which I do when there are less people around.

I wouldn't mind trying other methods like a class or what not, but... I'm worried if I tried to meet someone by being extroverted the relationship is going to ultimately fail because I'm an introverted person. But so far meeting people online this time around has dug up a lot of people that aren't to my standards, and honestly mine aren't that high.
    Ted, how do I explain this to you. Last night, I ate the best cake of my life. Do you think I'm gonna let that cake out of my life? Hell no. I'm gonna find out what bakery made that cake and I'm gonna get some more cake.

I've been trying online dating for the past 7 months and so far I am not impressed. In that time I only met one person I felt I liked and had a connection with, but he was a commitmentphobe (or afraid to get hurt) and bailed. Prior to him, the guys I've been meeting seem to only want one thing despite what they list in their profiles. I'm unhappy with my experiences and I'm on hiatus for now. It's time to enjoy being single.

(All that being said though, I met my last partner on a buddhist website and we were very happy together.)

I'd suggest staying away from POF and most free dating sites. Have fun and keep plugging away.
    Last edited by Jenswaiting; 17-08-11 at 07:00 AM. Reason: addition
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world.

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Jenswaiting View Post
    I'd suggest staying away from POF and most free dating sites. Have fun and keep plugging away.
    PoF is a disaster zone ...

Do it the old fashion way....go to the bar, a party, the park, a coffee shop, ask friends if they know someone, etc. Got off the computer, get into a social activity, meet people.

Now if you want quality dates, go to a paid service where they personally interview each person. You know what you get for free is garbage, so shell out some dough for the good ones, because the ones they pay are serious about meeting someone desent.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Maybe a little bit. For online dating, your first introduction are pictures, and if I don't find the picture appealing, I probably won't know the person behind the picture. Just the way it is usually set up. I'm not going to see a picture and be like, "well, I'm not attracted to her, but what the hell, maybe I can look past that." If I talked to her beforehand, maybe I could do that, but online it is kind of backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmax View Post
    Are you saying that looks are not part of your selection criteria.?

I've never been on any online dating sites and I don't see why you would rely on something like that to find a partner. Dunno. Generally the best relationships come when you least expect them or at least that's how it worked for me. I kinda think deliberately looking for someone like that isn't very likely to result in a great love story. Who knows, for some it might.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast