+ Follow This Topic

Thread: finding the right person online?

finding the right person online?

A friend of mine actually pointed this out to me and, looking back at myself, history confirms it's true...I compare every guy I meet to a boyfriend I used to have, whom I guess I never subconsciously got over. Whenever I say something like "he's just not my type", I really mean "he isn't similar enough to my old boyfriend."

At this point, I suspect I've lost out on a number of good men looking for a replica of someone from the past. I've had a few dates that were initiated online and I think this is why no one is working for me...no matter how many profiles I browse or people I encounter, no one seems to match him enough.

But I wonder, could it ever work out if I had a little more patience with the process? I mean when you go looking for someone who's eerily similar to someone you've lost, have you ever successfully found anyone who's similar enough to fill the void?

I found someone online who is just right for me....been together 8 yrs now, lots of manure before we found the roses (even now, sometimes, it's hard to see the flowers) If you want more details, ask.....

Very inspirational, thank you.

Don't expect to be able to just read a profile and know that they are 'the one'. A profile only gives a picture, an impression of the person. If they seem interesting then meet up with them and see what happens. And try to stop comparing everyone to your ex-BF. My GF, who I met online, is not at all like my ex-GF but we get on really well. Just try to avoid preconceptions.
    My GF told me at first she didn't really find me attractive and thought we might just be friends. We are way more than friends now.

You will never find anyone just like your old BF. Sure you might want someone to have certain skills, and even if they have those skills, they will still not be exactly like your old BF. But try to appreciate the good things in the current boyfriend.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

everyone is different, get use to this. i dont compare women or really have a type...i just like some around my size who works, owns a car and has a job, if they live alone its aplus. thats really all you can hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily_of_Isles View Post
    A friend of mine actually pointed this out to me and, looking back at myself, history confirms it's true...I compare every guy I meet to a boyfriend I used to have, whom I guess I never subconsciously got over. Whenever I say something like "he's just not my type", I really mean "he isn't similar enough to my old boyfriend."

At this point, I suspect I've lost out on a number of good men looking for a replica of someone from the past. I've had a few dates that were initiated online and I think this is why no one is working for me...no matter how many profiles I browse or people I encounter, no one seems to match him enough.

But I wonder, could it ever work out if I had a little more patience with the process? I mean when you go looking for someone who's eerily similar to someone you've lost, have you ever successfully found anyone who's similar enough to fill the void?
    Serial date, online you can meet as many people as you want, go for coffee with them, decide if they're any good for you, if not, onto the next one. As a female in the online dating community, the world is your oyster, you can browse and chat with whoever you like, and have a high percentage chance of them wanting to meet you.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

You can't actually find someone like what you have from your past. I think you haven't moved on yet, because if you are you weren't behave like you were looking your ex-boyfriend's replica. No offense! But don't force yourself to have a relationship if you haven't able to get over from your past, because your just keep on comparing every guys you'll be meeting from your past.