+ Follow This Topic

Thread: too clingy / smothering her. Advice

too clingy / smothering her. Advice

my girlfriend has been funny with me for the past few months.
    shes not very good at talking to me about her feelings
    tonight we've just had an argument. and it came out she said i was too "clingy" / "smothering her".

personally I don't think I am. We rarely kiss an hug either, only when she feels like it.

How best do you think I should handle this situation? I could go out and make myself busy but how long is going out for too long?

Coming from someone who does and has currently done the same in relationships, she is falling away from the relationship and you would be best to find someone who will love all the affection you can offer. I know it's horrible, but if the relationship is only on her terms, then you might as well be single. You are an emotional booty call at this point. Give her all the space and singledom she can take and find someone who WANTS to be with you.

... ask her what she would like to see from you so that she doesn't feel clung upon.. then do that. If after trying to make her appreciate you, nothing changes then I suggest you re-read eksink's advice and get busy without her for real and for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt150 View Post
    my girlfriend has been funny with me for the past few months.
    shes not very good at talking to me about her feelings
    tonight we've just had an argument. and it came out she said i was too "clingy" / "smothering her".

personally I don't think I am. We rarely kiss an hug either, only when she feels like it.

How best do you think I should handle this situation? I could go out and make myself busy but how long is going out for too long?
    If you're comfortable with the way you are, then dump her and find someone who likes a similar amount of closeness to you.

There is no amount of closeness that is ''too much''. It's just what you feel most comfortable with. If you think that you rarely hug and kiss, and she doesn't, then you two are just different.
    You can work together to find a common ground, or you can find someone more like you in this regard.