+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the longest period of unintended singledom you've experienced?

What's the longest period of unintended singledom you've experienced?

Frankly, I think "a long time" for girls is over 6 months: girls have it easy, as I've proved time and again. It's very strange to hear a girl say she hasn't been in a relationship in a span of time exceeding 6 months.

What is "a long time" for guys, do you imagine? 1 year?

Anyway, it's 8 years for me now. It won't be long until the meter hits 3,000 days. That's not a depressing number, is it? It's always fun having friends who, when they aren't in long relationships, can jump between relationships within weeks. It's totally awesome when they can have more relationships in a year than I've had in a lifetime.

shesjustnotin2u Guest
    Ive read a few of your comments and think you are very wise with advise and wisdom, but how come you choose not to date or be in a relationship LR?

shesjustnotin2u Guest
    What's your story LR? I'll admit, Ive never been single for longer than 1 year simply because as Ive experienced more relationships and gotten older older, I find it hard to compromise or be open up to my partner after being in so many horrible relationships.

I have never been "unintentionally single", not since the day I first started dating. *Dodges tomatoes thrown by LR*

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Depends on your definition of single. I am single, but I don't have any problem getting dates, most of them continuing over some length of time.

The reason you don't is a combination of you lacking confidence while having unrealistic expectations.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

1 year now and counting - there's no sign that it will change.

I don't know the OPs whole story, but I'll add my perspective, so people can maybe understand where a long-time single dude is coming from.

I've been single for about two-and-a-half years. In that time, I've hung out with some women, and had the odd date here or there, but, for the most part, I've been solidly single. As background, I've had relationships ranging from several months to almost five years. I'm 31. I'm not much of a hookup type of guy. I've done it, but that's not my thing. I'm more of the committed boyfriend type. I have a good job, went to a great college, and consider myself a cool, funny, and intelligent guy. As far as looks go, I would say I'm average. I'm short and thin, but totally happy with how I look. That being said, I have no problem admitting plenty of other guys have a leg up on me in respect to appearance.

And I'm single. I don't say that negatively or positively. Just stating a fact. If I had to hazard a guess why I'm single, I would say it's because of two reasons: 1) The status of the modern dating/hookup/male-female interaction scene is more or less beyond me. It seems convoluted, disingenuous, and generally a PITA. And 2) I meet very few women who have the cominbation of intelligence and the laid back attitude that I like. I don't do drama. At all. There are TONS of things I can accept in a relationship. Drama isn't one of them. I'm open to different appearances when it comes to women, don't care one bit how much money she has, and am not picky about age.

Here's a good point to admit I've never quite understood all the rigarmarole that people put themselves through with dating. If I see someone I'm attracted to, I approach her. If she still seems like a decent person after we talk, I'll ask her out. Once the process becomes more complex than that, I get uncomfortable, and tend to be turned off.

Also, I have no problem admitting I haven't had sex in the past two-and-a-half years. I do think women sometimes see men as sex crazed lunatics who just want action. More often that not, it's not true.

So, I guess what I'm saying here is the state of being single is rarely cut and dried.

Finally, I'll say that women have it much easier in the *early* stages of dating. Just sit around and look cute. Maybe put in a little effort and chat to the guy sitting next to you. Ain't that tough, or at least compared to what guys are expected to do. After that, the playing field levels, and dating/relationships become very much a two-way street.

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    It's always fun having friends who, when they aren't in long relationships, can jump between relationships within weeks. It's totally awesome when they can have more relationships in a year than I've had in a lifetime.
    It's called confidence.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Well, it's certifiably impossible to have confidence after 8 years..

Is that Dale Gribble? lol

Why yes, it is smackie. I have been addicted all over again to KotH since they added the show to Netflix's Instant....

Quote Originally Posted by shesjustnotin2u View Post
    What's your story LR? I'll admit, Ive never been single for longer than 1 year simply because as Ive experienced more relationships and gotten older older, I find it hard to compromise or be open up to my partner after being in so many horrible relationships.

22, only 1 relationship (a laughable mishap), got royally ****ed over by a "friend" and have had no opportunities since.

I was intentionally single for a year and a half, then I met my husband.

8 years is a lot of wanking, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    22, only 1 relationship (a laughable mishap), got royally ****ed over by a "friend" and have had no opportunities since.
    Cool story bro, tell it again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast