+ Follow This Topic

Thread: New Here! In love with my best friend for 10 years...

New Here! In love with my best friend for 10 years...

Hello All!

I'm new here and hoping to get some good advice on a dilema. I've been best friends with a guy for 10 years. He's in the Air Force, and stationed in another state. We still talk all the time though. In fact, besides his family, I'm the only one that he keeps in contact with in his hometown. I'm going to make this short and straight to the point:

I've been in love with him for 10 years. From the day I layed eyes on him. I just assumed that he never felt that way about me, and lived my life as if he was the one that I would never get to be with. Just last week, we were facetiming on our phones, and he asked me why we never dated. I was shocked by this question. I pretty much explained to him that back then, I was all about him. I wanted nothing more than to be with him like that... but always thought that he didn't share the same feelings. It took him a minute, but then he said "yeah, I did." and I said "you like me the way I liked you?" and he said, "yes, I did." After 10 years, and now he wants to tell me this... so frustrating! LOL. Anyways, of course I still love him. I always have. I didn't tell him that though. I asked him what made him ask me that out of the blue, and he said "I don't know... I was thinking about you the other day and how much we get along, and wondered why we never dated."

So here's my question...
    Do you think that question was simply just a question... or is there a possibility that he still has feelings for me?

I don't know what to do... I'm too scared to tell him how I feel because we're such close friends... the best of friends. I don't want anything to ruin that. Feel free to ask me any questions as well... and all help is much appreciated! Thank you!

I would have used that opportunity to say "Well why don't you ask me out now so we can make up for lost time." or "Well there's no time like the present. Lets get together for a date then".

The trick is to make suggestions and not make a fool out of yourself saying you are in love with him.....it's better to put it out there that you would like to give it a try....takes the pressure off.
    Last edited by smackie9; 23-01-13 at 08:55 AM.

Ten years of wasted time. Jeez, you guys have real communication problems. When I want a relationship with someone I generally try to make it pretty bloody clear in a lot less than a decade.

No, it wasn't an accident. Call him back and tell him you want to see him that way... quit wasting time.

Sometimes being "with" your best friend is awesome.

Yeah, relationships with your best friend are the best relationships IMO. I hope someone else in your situation reads this thread and realizes how stupid it is to NOT say anything as soon as you realize you have feelings for another person. You waited 10 years and you would have waited a lot more, had he not said anything.

Next time you talk to him, tell him you've been thinking about his comment about dating and you'd love to give it a try.

The tradition has always been a guy asking the lady out. It will be unwise to tell him you love him if he never come up with something like that. I think the only thing you can do is to make him aware through demostrations.

Quote Originally Posted by afekson View Post
    The tradition has always been a guy asking the lady out. It will be unwise to tell him you love him if he never come up with something like that. I think the only thing you can do is to make him aware through demostrations.
    Thanks for that shot of "1950" there sparky.

LOL that reminds me of this : http://j-walk.com/other/goodwife/index.htm

Just to be on the safe side here (since you didn't say anything about it): Are any of you currently in a relationship?