+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How does a girl let you know politely to back off?

How does a girl let you know politely to back off?

I get guys hitting on me sometimes and it's unwanted, especially at my university where I feel like I'm in the 5% and somehow I'm able to project that I'm not looking for anything, but this guy online is getting really weird.

He messaged me one day (have a mutual friend) to compliment my profile pic (Halloween pic) and I we chatted a bit about that, and then he asked me if I've ever made zombie movies (totally weird conversation, right?) anyways, we didn't really chat much after that, and yesterday I get a message that my cover pic is cute (some animal) but not as cute as me. A bit awkward. and then he messages me last night regarding my status about my wisdom tooth. He wrote a poem and I could tell he wrote it as it was specifically about me. He wrote a poem to me. How awkward.

I didn't respond so today he's like, how's your wisdom tooth? and then (in our conversation yesterday he said he was jealous that I was in a sunny state and he's stuck in a blizzard and I said I wish I was in the snow), today he's like, do you still wish you were here? Making it sound like I wanted to be near him, not snow. and I don't know what to say.

The mutual friend is someone I don't know in person but he runs a small business and we interact a lot on Facebook and I think he's really cool, and it's apparent that them two go way back from Facebook interaction. What's more weird is that he's around 30-40 and I'm 23, so it's a bit weird for me.

What do I say to him?

just get one of your mutual friends to drop a hint "were going on a double date tonight" or "my friend brokenhearted (lol) is setting me up with her bf friend"... something like that. If he outright asks you to go out with him-either say you have a bf or you are not interested in seeing anyone right now.

It's obvious that he is socially inept, and it comes off as creepy and he might turn out to be the type to feed of any kind of attention positive or negative. Telling him may not get rid of him. Just block him on your FB and delete him off your friends list...he will get the message. Make sure you set your FB page to "friends only" access so he can't stalk your page.

Go over what you posted....you said "weird" a few times....I wouldn't consider a person like that as "cool".
    Last edited by smackie9; 10-02-13 at 03:42 AM.

I think she meant the mutual friend they have is cool, not the older creepy weirdo

I would just ignore him and if he persists do what smackie said and block him, guys like that are so annoying. I don't know how they don't get the hint but they're weird

I'm not the type of person who can block another - unless they are an ex or have really upset me. So, I'd be more inclined to invent a boyfriend.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

IMO I would just block him now....I went through a similar thing. My GF's DJ she used for a wedding was a friend of a friend of her's. I thought they were friends so I accepted the friends invite. He did the same thing, he was like 20 years older, commented on my pictures. I made comment to my GF about it, and she tore a strip off him, saying how inappropriate it was, and that I was married, etc. We all deleted him lol.

Why do you care? Just ignore him. I am sure it is even easier since he is just some random dude from the internet.

Best thing to do is lie. We're not perfect. We're human. Tell him your sorry but your in a relationship. Go into you account settings and configure it so he can't see any of your business. Telling a creep/stalker you have a bf is a major turn off. If that seems like too much try this...
    Creep: [Says god knows what to try to advance.]
    You: [Late reply] My boyfriend would not like that...
    Creep: [Might say something about boyfriend like,"What's your boyfriend gotta do with me? Or,"Why is your relationship status blank?" Or,"How are you and your boyfriend making out?" Whatever he says at this point is irrelevant.]
    You: [Ignore the shxt out that creep.]

The older men get the less time they have to deal with bullshxt. Trust and believe hell get the point and hell just get to creeping out the next chick. Good Luck!!!

I agree, just block and erase him on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    Why do you care? Just ignore him. I am sure it is even easier since he is just some random dude from the internet.
    I missed that. I thought they'd actually met and had face to face conversations. With this info, I'll change my advice and just say 'ignore and block'
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Go over what you posted....you said "weird" a few times....I wouldn't consider a person like that as "cool".
    I said our mutual friend was cool.

Some people said to block, some people said to talk about a relationship or something.

I think I'll go with the latter for now. As much as I want to block him, I feel it will come off as weird as we have a mutual friend, and we both comment on his statuses a lot and interact with him so either way I'd be seeing his stuff or he mine. And he might make it weird or I don't know. But I will hint that I'm seeing someone and if that doesn't do the trick then I'll just block him straight up. I am kinda seeing someone, so it wouldn't really be like I'm lying.

I hope he stops being weird. The fact that he wrote me a poem just creeped me out.

Its just a internet - relax. Bet in real life guy wouldnt be such a poet - much easier to hit a keyboard than talk.

Quote Originally Posted by broken-hearted View Post
    I said our mutual friend was cool.

Some people said to block, some people said to talk about a relationship or something.

I think I'll go with the latter for now. As much as I want to block him, I feel it will come off as weird as we have a mutual friend, and we both comment on his statuses a lot and interact with him so either way I'd be seeing his stuff or he mine. And he might make it weird or I don't know. But I will hint that I'm seeing someone and if that doesn't do the trick then I'll just block him straight up. I am kinda seeing someone, so it wouldn't really be like I'm lying.

I hope he stops being weird. The fact that he wrote me a poem just creeped me out.

Then do what I did....mention it to your mutual friend and let them take care of it. It worked for me.