+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Break Up After 6 weeks long distance

Break Up After 6 weeks long distance

I was hoping to get a few opinions from females as to what I can/should do to keep this relationship in tact. I do not need opinion on why she broke up with me, no offence to anyone here, but you do not know either of us, there was has not been any cheating involved etc.

My girlfriend and I were on a high level sports team together for three years. On the halfway through the second year, I took serious interest to her, and she had no idea it was coming. Anyway, I was in the "friend zone", and had to get out, in the end I won her over. We completed our first year together and everything was perfect. One or two not so serious fights the whole year. That was in the spring of 2013. We had plans of attending the same grad school, but she got in and I didn't. I ended up moving closer to where she is from, and currently work a job. She is far away (In the States) (I am in Canada), and we had plans to see each other every 2-2.5 months. I saw her last about a month and a half ago and things couldn't be better. We took a cross country road trip together, we both agreed that it was love the day before she left for school. She even cried when I brought her to the airport.

The last month and a half we have been speaking on the phone every single day. Usually between 15min-1 hour. My days are pretty relaxed right now, and her days are nuts. She is in an intense program (5 courses) while trying to hold down a part time job. She basically gets 5-6 hours of sleep every night. She is very easy going, and tends to let her plate pile pretty high. The problem is she gets so stressed and just cannot completely focus on anything. She has school, she has work she has sports (big part of her life), and she has me. My suspicion is that ever since I moved to this new city, I dont know anyone, and am having a hard time doing so. I work a job with people that are 20 years older than me, and I dont go to school, which I think caused me to lean on my girlfriend (now ex) more than usual. This brought out a clingy, and possibly even controlling side that I didnt really have before. I mean, I knew it was in there somewhere, but I always did my best to avoid it and just chill out.

She is in the opposite situation, she might be in a new city, but she is in school and on a sports team with those her age. She called me the other night telling me she couldn't do this anymore, she is just too stressed and overwhelmed. I have a feeling she just looked at her schedule and decided I was the only thing she could cut out, which is true, everything else she does is not an option, it is a must (including the sports team as she is on an NCAA scholarship).

This girl is a catch an a half. She is smart, funny as hell, easy going and beautiful. We just need to make the next 7 months work, and then shell be back here and we'll be together again (not set in stone, but thats how it was likely going to work out for many reasons).

MY QUESTION: what can/should I do to "get her back", or show her that we can make this work. I know I need to be a lot less clingy, and talk about the future less. Maybe less phone calls during the week so I dont stress her out? I would hate to loose the girl of my dreams because one year of long distance, in the big picture - it is nothing.

So please, any female insight on what I can or should be doing to save this. We have a phone call scheduled for this weekend. I am honestly holding back a temptation to drive or fly 2600km....

I know you are looking for female opinions, but let me share my male opinion with you, as i am almost in same situation (except we didnt break up).

First thing, you cant make any pressure to her, because that will chase her away. Do not talk about future at all....just let her have you as one thing near which she can be relaxed.

Second, do not show her that you dont care. Its tricky, showing her that you wont make pressure and in same time show her how much you love her. Be supportive, listen to her....If she is the right girl, she will appreciate that.